FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Warning: I am committing Firefly fan-fiction

Author Topic: Warning: I am committing Firefly fan-fiction
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't help it, thought of the idea and then had to start writing it down. Here's the link to Chapter One of "Visit to a Weird 'Verse, Re-revisited."
PG-13 for language. No sex scenes or odd pairings. Just general silliness. (What, you thought I'd write a serious one?)

Perrey dropped him off behind the hotel the morning of the convention. “Don’t let ‘em go to your head, Captain Tightpants,” she said, smiling and looking all beautiful.

“Me? Get a swelled head? I’m just the humblest, most modest god-like man you’ll ever meet,” Nathan said. “I’ll see you next week.” He gave her a kiss and hauled his bag out of the back seat. Before him rose the majestic Hilton Burbank Hotel, or at least the backside of it, which was still pretty damn majestic. It was also pretty damn cold, California or not, so he hustled towards the plain door marked “Service Entrance” to begin his weekend.

The door opened before he reached it to reveal a pudgy, middle-aged fan. Granted, that was probably stereotyping the poor guy, who was almost certainly one of the convention organizers, but he had the intense and slightly off-center expression that only comes from devoting your life to a fictional universe. “Mr. Fillion? You’re early, excellent, that’s excellent.”

Nathan took a deep breath and readied himself to be led around by other people for three days. Doing appearances at conventions was a rush, and a stressful hassle, and an incredible ego-boost, and conventions such as the Big Damn Flanvention were all that doubled and squared because instead of being about an entire genre like most conventions they were solely devoted to a single TV show and movie. The TV show was Firefly, and the movie was Serenity, and together they had been the greatest experiences of his acting career.

And many people agreed. Already he could see, past the big air conditioning machines, crowds streaming across the sidewalks towards the front of the hotel. Many of them wore long brown coats or fuzzy orange hats. Soon this hotel would be filled to overflowing with thousands of screaming fans of all ages who would all gladly commit several mortal sins just to get near his own actual body.

But that was fine, because Nathan knew a secret: He was at least as big a fan of Joss Whedon’s creation as anyone in there, and any praise sent his way he accepted as praise for the dream they shared. They weren’t the only ones to devote their lives to a fictional universe.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it. I can't wait for the next chapters. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Advent 115
Member # 8914

- posted      Profile for Advent 115   Email Advent 115         Edit/Delete Post 
Blasphemer! You dare to incroach on such holy ground!?

(not that I didn't like it, but it had to be said)

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
No. No it didn't. *you may imagine the presence of a winking smiley here if you so choose*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you dare until you read my FireflyUniverseHandbook* on the physics&sociology. Otherwise the stories are gonna end up as foobarred as StarTrek and StarWars.

* Available for the low low price of a Veyron: ie I'll start writing it after receiving VW's newBug.

[ March 13, 2006, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Chapter Two.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Chapter Three.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

He's up to chapter 5 now, folks. Still awesome as ever.

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I am a fan of your writing. I never bother with fanfic, but I gave in this time because I love your online articles.

Those were awesome! I think you have ruined other fanfic for me because you set the bar so high. Seriously, I am not just blowing sunshine up your nether parts--that is good writing. I hope Nathan stumbles across it.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.