FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 24 (Spoilers, obviously.)

Author Topic: 24 (Spoilers, obviously.)
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.

They're dropping like flies.

I think we went from a fast start to some snoozers to some amazing episodes these last couple weeks.

And why is Audrey managing to live through all this?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea....

I almost had a heart attack LAST week w/ Edgar, and I suppose this weeks was inevitable. Poor old Tony, eh?

God, I'll miss Edgar's character. His was one of the more emotionally evocative characters, especially in the season when his mom died.

And your last sentence? Why, indeed.

But at least they killed Sam...er...I mean Linda...no wait...Lynn, that's right...Lynn.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if they're going to use this to take the show in a new direction, or something. There's not much left of the old CTU.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well they have to do something. How many ways can terrorists actually kill people? Viruses and explosions (of different types and magnitudes).
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm convinced Tony is still alive.

Tony would have gotten a silent count down at the end if he were dead. Of all people who deserve a silent count, it's Tony.

Season 1 survivor list: Jack, Kim, Aaron the Secret Service Guy, Mike Novik, Tony(?), Naked Mandy.

Season 1 Dead list: Terri, Nina, David Palmer, Evil Sherry, Ryan, George, Tony(?).

(I KNOW I'm forgetting someone)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I was wondering about the lack of a Silent Count myself. I just figured that they couldn't use it AGAIN after last week. Btw, I loved this quote from Louis Lombardi (Edgar) from IMDB:

[On the producers of '24' informing him of his character's demise a shortly before filming it] "They said, 'Hey, can we talk to you a minute?' and I knew right then and there by the tone of their voices. When I heard, it was pretty shocking to me. They said, 'The good news is you`re one of the most-loved characters on the show. The bad news is we have to shock the audience.'"

Gotta love it.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Sad. Here's a quote from 24's official website:

7:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M.
While trapped in the conference room, Jack puts a chokehold on Barry and accuses him of taking advantage of Kim. Kim explains that Barry convinced her not to commit suicide. With no other hope of preventing the nerve gas from killing everyone, Jack climbs behind walls to get to the infected areas. He holds his breath to protect himself, but he cannot get to the computer that is blocking the air conditioning system. Jack convinces McGill, who is the closest to the computer, to access it. However, this means McGill will die. McGill is able to turn the air conditioning back on and the nerve gas is flushed out. Jack runs to the medical unit where Tony has threatened to murder Henderson. Yet Jack is too late -- Henderson has stabbed Tony with the syringe of lethal pain medication and has escaped. Jack holds Tony as he dies.

I guess that might confirm it?

SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I have enjoyed this show, but some times I have to laugh as some of it.

You get the air flowing again and you can clean out the nerve gas in a couple of minutes? Where does the gas go? Into the surrounding neighborhood? I guess they have some military air filters.

Do we really believe they have sensors telling them how long it will take the acid in the air to eat through the seals. I think they needed Hal's voice counting down. "I’m sorry Jack, but you only have 5 min. before you die…"

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Of course you have to laugh at it. I call them 24-isms.

- Who can actually get from anywhere to anywhere else in LA in 15 minutes by car? Jack Bauer! Or anyone from CTU for that matter. But not in real life!
- When asking someone a question, first use an intense whisper followed by screaming. "Where's the bomb?.....WHERE IS THE GOSH DARN BOMB???" Accompany the latter action with a threatening gesture from any available handgun, hacksaw, or syringe.
- The computers will always work and never crash. If they do, it MUST be because of a terrorist attack. Gee, I must be attacked by terrorists a lot.
- There is always a worm in CTU.

Anyone have any more?

docmagik
Member # 1131

I basically agree with Pix about Tony. He's probably dead, but he's probably not gone. Jack takes those type of injections for kicks all the time--sure beats heroin!--and dies and comes back every once in a while. Tony will be the back-from-the-dead Obi-Wan to Jack's Qui-Gon.

Here's my other theory--I think kindly old incompetent psychotherapist is an agent for Henderson, and is part of the "Pandora's Box" so they can use Kim to control Jack if they need to.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Doc, I think you're right. It'd be just like 24 to do that, and besides, I thought more than once that the guy looked MAJORLY sketch-tastic!
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
Doc, I think you're right. It'd be just like 24 to do that, and besides, I thought more than once that the guy looked MAJORLY sketch-tastic!

You mean him?

Yes folks, that's right. Kim's sketchy new boyfriend is none other than Ponyboy Curtis of The Outsiders.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Yea, him! Sketch!
docmagik
Member # 1131

So does anyone else see like a bajillion plot holes that need to be explained if Logan really is in on it?

Don't get me wrong--it's a fine twist if they can make it work, especially if something bigger is going on and this goes all the way back to bringing down Air Force One last season, but . . . well . . . yeah.

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I haven't had time to think them all through, but yes, I thought, "Boy, OK, so he's stupid ON PURPOSE?!? Or is someone manipulating HIM still?"

And if Logas *IS* behind all of this, I presume that his chief of staff (also a conspirator) had no clue. This leaves one wondering whether the President knew of the other's involvement prior to the revelation.

Anyway - haven't had time to talk it all over with my 24 buddies. (No, that's not the number of my buddies, but the buddies with whom I discuss "24".)

Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so here's this week's plot hole.

Why isn't Jack playing the recording over the phone, so Chloe can put a copy on her computer, and Homeland Security Woman can know this is all real?

Here's my theory--it's because Jack doesn't have enough hands. One for his gun he's holding on the co-pilot, one for the phone--he'd need another hand to push play on the recording.

Or something.

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cactus Jack
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Cactus Jack           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and we only need 998 posts to make this show look as popular as Lost.

Let's get on it!

Posts: 241 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

On last night's episode:

It was fun to see the President playing stupid. I'd been waiting to see more scenes like that ever since we found out the President was in on the conspiracy.

I missed a bit of the President/First Lady conversation because of a phone call. Was he basically telling her that when she found his brains all over his desk, it would be her fault?

I enjoyed all the stuff with Jack on the airplane. But Jack really needed to play that recording for somebody.

I like the idea that there's some group behind all of this, a group that's even more powerful than the president. I'd like to see the group linked to certain storylines in past seasons. Jack could realize they're responsible for all the worst things that have ever happened to him.

However, as the last few episodes have shown us, that wouldn't be really true to the spirit of 24. To me, the sense of doom in 24, what kept the tension level so high, is that there's always a sense that something catastrophic could happen at any moment. When the world is basically okay now and all the terrorists are in jail and Jack just wants to catch one guy, it can be exciting, but it's not driven by the same sense of looming doom.

Kind of like the problem with the canisters plot. When the canisters take hours to open, you don't have the sense that doom is exactly emminent.

I thought this season had a ton of potential, but a lot of it is turning out to be all fuse and no boom.

My wife's all but given up on the show after they killed the president. I think Tony and Edgar's deaths were the last straw for her.

I'm not that far gone on it. I thought last night's episode was good, even without a single shot fired, but I don't think this season is shaping up to be as good as last season was.

I don't know. This is the first time I've tried to watch the show while it was broadcast, one hour at a time, so that might have something to do with my feeling less involved this season.

Any other thoughts on this episode/season?

Oh, and I still hate Audrey.

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

I loved the plane landing sequence. Good stuff.

I can't tell you how much I was hoping that Logan would shoot his head off.

What is Mile's end goal, anyways? What's *HE* after?

And I, too, hate Audrey, but at least her dad is alive.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to the screen. "Stop dragging your feet and have your final taste be the sweet sweet taste of gun oil! No, put down that glass and put the GUN in your mouth! Gah I hate phones!"

I like Audrey, I just like her dad more.

And Miles? He thinks he's going to be the bestest bud of the president of the united states when this is over. Except of course, if Logan gets away with it, he'll wind up dead in a ditch somewhere because Logan has shown himself to be the kind of person who would whack someone who knows too much.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that Cloe did not make back up copies of the recording the very first thing, before she started all that "cleaning it up" nonsense. For that matter, why didn't Jack transmit the recording to CTC while they were still in the airliner? Surely there is something in that vast cockpit full of controls and instruments that the recording device could plug into (it looked like a flash RAM, that could be plugged into most laptop computers). I want Logan to get his, and I'm getting tired of the artificial and contrived ways the writers keep delaying things. No one is acting the way a "Pro" would.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
I can't believe that Cloe did not make back up copies of the recording the very first thing, before she started all that "cleaning it up" nonsense. For that matter, why didn't Jack transmit the recording to CTC while they were still in the airliner? Surely there is something in that vast cockpit full of controls and instruments that the recording device could plug into (it looked like a flash RAM, that could be plugged into most laptop computers). I want Logan to get his, and I'm getting tired of the artificial and contrived ways the writers keep delaying things. No one is acting the way a "Pro" would.

contrived is a good word. I think they've run out of good plot elements. Don't get me wrong, I like the show, but Seasons 1 and 3 were really the strongest. With this 5th season, the "contrived elements" are really thick on the ground.

Maybe season 6 will be better.

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I am really not liking how chaotic this season is. They are trying to do too many things without building up the suspense. I miss the moments where a car drive was the entire episode and my heart couldn't slow down.

This season feels like they are trying to combine several seasons into one to make it more forceful. It had a nice start, but......eh...loosing interest fast.

I was fully expecting Jack to play the recording for the pilot/black box. He could of had someone call the president and tell him if the plane got shot down, then the black box would expose everything.

We know he could of played the tape for a number of people. By the time we got to the big climatic moment when Chloe FINALLY played the tape for everyone and it was erased, I just laughed. It was almost comical.

I will be on a plane to Japan during the 24th episode, and I haven't mustered enough interest to ask my best friend to record it for me.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

I did not think season 3 was the strongest. A baby at CTU? Chase and Kim tryng to hide "true love" from DaddyJack? Super-President blackmailing people and covering up his brother's affairs? Season 3 was by far the most soap-operaish season to me.

Other seasons, the things going on at CTU and the things going on with the President feel connected. That season, it felt like they were reaching for stuff to do with the POTUS and his bunch, kind of like how it felt like they were reaching with Kim in Season 2.

Season 4 was terrific. Despite the sillyness of the idea of a universal remote for nuclear power plants, everything felt connected and a lot of different storylines came together nicely.

Except for what happened to the kid. They never did squeeze in what happened to the kid.

Although according to the deleted scenes on the DVDs, about three different things happened to him.

docmagik
Member # 1131

Oh, and somebody over at Dave Barry's blog made the comment about POTUS's stalling:

What a wimp! That's not the kind of shot they meant.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.