FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help! Video Reccomendation! (A Mayfly)

Author Topic: Help! Video Reccomendation! (A Mayfly)
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the mood to watch a SERIOUSLY intense action movie tonight. One where you care about what happens and lots happens.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Sin City [Big Grin] ?
Goodfellas?
Incredibles?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

I haven't seen Goodfellas yet, but I liked both of the other ones a lot.

Films I'm considering:

Goodfellas (Thanks!)
Equilibrium
The Rock
The Crow
Tombstone
Apocalypse Now
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Haven't seen any of them. Which gives you some idea of how open I am to other suggestions. Which is very.

Interested in your thoughts on these, as well.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Lock Stock is good, but I think I liked Snatch better.

If you just want mindless action, I vote one of the Riddick movies.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen I, Robot?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

A Man Apart! That has explosions and shooting and THE INSURMOUNTABLE VENGANCE OF VIN DIESEL. His wrath shall rain down upon the unrighteous!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
How about Hellboy?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Repent, yon Steve, lest you too feel the almighty Diesel crush you beneath his great fist!

-pH

docmagik
Member # 1131

I just checked IMDB and I've seen every Will Smith movie except Ali and the Bad Boys ones. I didn't realize I was that big a fan of his.

Loved Hellboy.

re Vin Diesel: I didn't really dig Fast and the Furious, but I did like Pitch Black. The only other thing of his I've seen is The Pacifier.

pH
Member # 1350

Pitch Black was awesome. The Chronicles of Riddick is a sequel to that. But it's a little more big budget Hollywood. Still cool, though.

I really liked A Man Apart. While not as stylish as the Riddick movies, I thought it was a good action movie.

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Vin Diesel is a retarded gorilla. He's not believable as a human being.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Vin Diesel is a retarded gorilla. He's not believable as a human being.

[Frown] He's believable as my hawt lover with whom I have the crazy naked time all night, every night.

How dare you question our love?!

-pH

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He's believable as my hawt lover with whom I have the crazy naked time all night, every night.
[ROFL] Your word choice here was impeccable.

Also, I really liked Diesel in Boiler Room. A small part, but the man does look good in a suit.

docmagik, I'd reccomend:
Boondock Saints - Everyone should see this.
Unleashed - Jet Li movie, much better than I'd expected.
Man on Fire - If you want intense...
Saving Face - Asian lesbian love story. Umm, yeah.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen Training Day?
If you're in the mood for martial arts, you can't go wrong with Dragon Forever or Ong-Bak: Thai Warrior.

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Equilibrium.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rabid Newz
Member # 7704

- posted      Profile for Rabid Newz   Email Rabid Newz         Edit/Delete Post 
A good one is:

Rush Hour , you've probably seen it. Its a comedy/action movie. I thought it was pretty funny and fairly emotional at the same time.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Aliens. You cant go wrong with seeing marine vs freakish alien combat.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I am with pH on Vin Diesel. I loved him in Pitch Black and Boiler Room but not so much in Riddick. He was in a towel in the Pacifier. I couldn't remember and didn't care about the plot of the movie after that.

Some of my faves:
The Game
Mission Impossible
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
The Professional
The Fugitive
The Usual Suspects
Glory
Pulp Fiction
Seven (not action but certainly intense)
The Hunted (I love Tommy Lee Jones)

I guess my definition of intense is not really all that intense.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

I actually have seen every Jackie Chan movie ever, even the lame ones that no one should ever be forced to watch, ever. I really want to see Ong-Bak.

I just barely saw Aliens.

The Game is probably my favorite movie ever. Or something.

And I agree about Unleashed. Not what I expected at all, and I enjoyed it tremendously.

Alright! I made up a list and my wife is off to the video store. Thanks everybody for your help.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
At my own risk - and since this is probably going to go away soon - I need to say that A Man Apart is one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

And I've seen some pretty bad ones.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I LOVE the character of Riddick!

He's all...serial killery. And bad. Bad, bad, bad, bad boy...you make me feel so goooooooood. [Wink]

-pH

Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
:reads list: :checks it twice:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the quintessential action movie where you care about characters: Die Hard. I mean, who doesn't get the desire to kick some serious butt when Bruce Willis says "Whoopee-Kai-Ay, mother. . . "

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
About Ong-Bak - yeah, seriously good. Tony Jaa does all his own stunts - no doubles, no strings, and he's seriously talented and fun to watch. Plus this movie has a trishaw (those crazy tin-can vehicles with one front wheel and two rear wheels) chase scene that's a blast.

If you get a chance to watch Ong-Bak, do it. You won't regret it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I second The Professional. It is one of the few action movies that truly surprised me. It is a low budget flick, but the suspense will keep you at the edge of your seat.

Ronin is a solid action flick with awesome car chase scenes and intelligent "spy v spy" action.

Zatôichi is one of my favorite samurai movies. The fight scenes are surreal but believable. The title character is a blind swordsman who is as philisophical as he is deadly.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.