FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do you dispose of credit card applications? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do you dispose of credit card applications?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I use a shredder. Check out the effectiveness of just tearing them up.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I rip them up and put some of the vital pieces in our (indoor until we take it to the recycle place) paper recycling container, and some of the other vital pieces (I like to rip important numbers in half) in a trash can, which is taken later in the week to a completely different location.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
You see, I have faith in the innate goodness of my fellow travellers on this spaceship Earth. I crumple them lightly and use them as packing material in my baskets of food and clothing for the disadvantaged.

Nah, who am I kidding? Shred them? Why would I? I've been PRE-APPROVED!! I'm using all the cards to tile my guest bathroom.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O

So I guess my solution is not a good one then.

I put them in the prepaid envelopes from other junk mail, and mail my junk mail from one sender to another . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Whir them in the blender with 2 cups warm water and some dried flower bits and then drain and press to make lovely handmade recycled-paper notecards.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
But I use fugu's solution for old credit cards.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy carp!

that's disturbing.

I have a regular single-plane shredder. I think maybe I should get a cross-cut model.

Or, using dkw's idea...
paper making kit.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
psst. . . cross cut shedder. Under my desk.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

*snicker*
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I tear mine to pieces, but much smaller than the ones on that site. I mean I tear it in half until it can't be torn in half any longer, which is quite small. If someone wants to try and put it back together after that, go ahead. It'll take the person ages, as it's a puzzle with no reference picture and thousands upon thousands of pieces.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
It boggles the mind that a credit card company would accept an app that has been torn up or shredded like that? What do they think happened to it? Did the mailman give his deliveries to a bunch of monkeys who left piles of ripped up mail inside your front door?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
pssst...

cross-cut shredder not working...

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Kindling for fires in the winter. We keep a little box under the computer desk where we throw all our old receipts, credit card stuff, anything with personal information, then use it for indoor fireplace starters in the winter and bonfire starters in the summer. What do you know! They ARE good for something!
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Not only did they accept the app, but they let him send it to a different address and a different phone number for verifying. That's just scary. Hope he sent the URL to the company president/PR officer and the BBB.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I do what fugu does -- tear them up and split the pieces into multiple receptacles.

Added: My parents always used to burn them in the wood stove.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I do that with old credit cards. It never occurred to me to have to do that with shredded documents, though.

Duh.

I think the fire pit is the way to go.

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally bought a cross cut shredder after my identity theft scare last year. Of course, since I was the one accused, a shredder wouldn't have helped last year. But I figure using a cross cut shredder plus continuing to keep good records for 5-7 years should be a safer combination in the future.

BTW, in February I did get some blank checks in the mail for my credit card. Then I realized I didn't have that credit card number. I called, it had been set up somehow about 11 months earlier and never used. Same company as another credit card that I DO own. I had them cancel the second one and send confirmation. Kind of scary.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, did you break the shredder?

[No No]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bet he was trying to grind coffee beans in it.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[ROFL]

These guys ----> [Group Hug]
look like a bad set of ball bearings in the shredder of life.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I tear mine into tiny pieces and divide those pieces between different garbage cans/bags (which I take out at different times). I figure anyone who's gonna go though my trash for more than a week and piece back together several hundred pieces of torn paper deserves the money.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I put mine in my "to be shredded" bag in one of my closets. I haven't actually employed my shredder in over a year though.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It never occurred to me to have to do that with shredded documents, though.

Duh.

I'm right there with you, but way worse. As a college student, I get them daily. Kinda scary. [Frown] *Looks online for a shredder*
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe there's a site where you can have yourself taken off the mailing lists of a lot of credit card companies. I don't remember what it is, but I used it and started getting a lot fewer credit card apps in the mail. And by "a lot fewer" I mean "one every day or two instead of several each day."
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get any credit card applications anymore. [Frown] Doesn't Visa love me?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple months ago I noticed that there's a list of addresses and phone #s on credit card applications that you can use to request to NOT get applications. I sent requests off to the 3 different companies that were listed; I think it's helping, though i'm not sure how much of a lag time there'll be before the request takes effect.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
We rip them up and throw them in the kitchen trash can with all the coffee grounds and slimy vegetable peelings and two-week old bits of sandwich meat and dripping icky tin cans that we are too lazy to rinse out and recycle and clouds of dusty dog hair from the vacuum cleaner canister. I figure that makes them so nasty, nobody would want to look for them, much less put them together.

Just thinking about it makes me feel nauseated.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Yozhik:
coffee grounds and slimy vegetable peelings and two-week old bits of sandwich meat and dripping icky tin cans that we are too lazy to rinse out and recycle and clouds of dusty dog hair from the vacuum cleaner canister

The bioterrorism approach to thwarting thieves.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, I'm throwing the pieces in different trashcans from now on.

That's just scarey!

And there are always people fishing through our dumpsters!

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't opened an application in years. Do they actually include any personal info other than your address and name? I wouldn't think they could issue one, without you providing your SS#. So as long as your not throwing things away with that on it.

I'm sure the credit card company would take your application on a used coffee filter if you put all the appropriate info on it.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
That is just wrong. You would think that there would be some law against a credit card company taking an obviously ripped application...particularly one that changes that address that the card should be sent to.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's a great story, ElJay. I can't believe a credit card company would accept an application like that. [Eek!]

We shred the credit card applications we get. Although, on occasion, I have torn up the identifiable as me information into teeny tiny bits (much smaller than that guys tearing up) and flushed them down the toilet. [Razz]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I eat mine in front of the mailman, like in the movies.

It's a heck of a lot harder than it looks...if only they made credit card apps out of rice paper!

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I always just throw them in the trash.

But we live in the country, and burn our paper trash, so it isn't like I have any real worries here......

[Smile] FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew there was a reason I needed a fireplace.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
*stalks FG's trash* [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this the link Jon Boy is talking about. And yes, it does drasically reduce the number of "pre-approved" junk that comes in the mail.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I rip off the part with identifying information on it and cut several slits one way, leaving a bit of intact paper on the end to hold all the strips together. Then I cut the other way. The result is tiny confetti.

When I'm feeling lazier, I'll rip it into a few pieces and put one in my trash, one in the recycling, and one in the trash can in the communal bathroom.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I just went to Best Buy and bought a shredder. WHEEEE!! These things are fun! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*stalks FG's trash* [Wink]
Better bring along some doggy biscuits if you think you can make it past my front yard, Ela.

[Wave]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Although, on occasion, I have torn up the identifiable as me information into teeny tiny bits (much smaller than that guys tearing up) and flushed them down the toilet.
As a member of the civil engineering community, I do not recommend using your toilet as a way of destroying credit card applications. No matter what 4-letter word you might use when finding yet another one in your mailbox, it still doesn't belong in the toilet.

This ends our PSA.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I shred them and then put them out in the dirty diaper bag. If you want to brave the funk of forty thousand years be my guest!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I use one of the shredders at work. We just got news ones too. These things are awesome. They sound like they are jet engine powered and shred paper to a dust. For giggles we put a quarter down the slot one time. It was never seen again.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just save up a bunch of them and then make a little fire out of them in the backyard [Big Grin] . I like fire.
<----pyromaniac

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I have them all in a paper bag in a corner, because since we moved, I can't find the power cord for my shredder.

And we bought a house, so of course, everyone wants to give us credit, especially home equity credit.

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of purging by fire, myself.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
We must purge the devil from them...with fire!
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I expect that everyone has already explored the rest of the stuff on Cockeyed.com (ElJay's initial link is to a page on the site), but if not it's well worth checking out.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
That guy has made some pretty elaborate costumes. Did you see the Doc Oc costume?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I like his pranks, personally. [Smile] I've been following his site for years.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.