FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 24-isms

Author Topic: 24-isms
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this in the other 24 thread, but thought it might deserve a thread of it's own.

The following are things about the otherwise greatly enjoyable show "24" that strain credulity somewhat. Don't get me wrong, I love the show. But sometimes I chuckle a little bit.

- Who can actually get from anywhere to anywhere else in LA in 15 minutes by car? Jack Bauer! Or anyone from CTU for that matter. But not in real life!
- When asking someone a question, first use an intense whisper followed by screaming. "Where's the bomb?.....WHERE IS THE GOSH DARN BOMB???" Accompany the latter action with a threatening gesture from any available handgun, hacksaw, or syringe.
- The computers will always work and never crash. If they do, it MUST be because of a terrorist attack. Gee, I must be attacked by terrorists a lot.
- There is always a worm in CTU.
- There's almost always more than one bad guy. They take the first one down after 5 or so hours, but dang it! S/He was working for someone else who's even more of a bad@$$ and boy, they REALLY wanna blow stuff up!
- PDAs (palm pilots) can do ANYTHING, and the wireless connections work anyplace.

More ideas anyone?

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
-No one cares about 25-infinity.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
THAT is funny. I haven't really seen the show, but I have heard about it, and considering, that is quite hilarious.

*laughs*

Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
**opens a socket for Reticulum to watch 24**
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it any good?
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
- If you are a jerk boss, you will get the chance to redeem yourself, but it will cost you your life.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Reticulum: It's one of the better shows created for television, if you ask me, despite it's really minor flaws.

Get it on DVD.

And when you're done, get Lost. No, I don't mean go away, I mean rent "Lost" on dvd too.

And when you're done, practice your horn. We have a concert tomorrow!

Docmagik: nice one. So true, with George Mason, Ryan Chappelle, and now Lynn. With Driscoll, her daughter paid the price, eh?

These ones are related to SteveRogers 24-ism:
- All terrorist plots are successfully resolved in exactly 24 hours
- (or similarly) You know they haven't solved the problem in the 5th or 6th hour - there HAS to be another bad guy.

Aaaaand an original:
- You know something bad is going to happen at just about 2 minutes before the hour.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Have they ever had a season of 24 where they wrap up the evil terrorist plot in 23 hours and the last episode is them partying/getting drunk/finally going to bed? Why not?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack spent the last couple minutes of one season kicking it alone in his car bawling his eyes out.

Does that count?

Speaking of which, I read somewhere that the injection didn't kill Tony, but he's still dead because unfortunately, Jack Bauer's tears are made from acid.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
On 24 why does the President always do EXACTLY the dumbest possible thing even when he has people around him telling him to be reasonable. He's a very angsty President.

Advisor: Mr. President, what's wrong?

President (far away look): I just got a letter from a woman in Detroit... She says if I don't pour acid on a small child she won't vote for me in the next election.

Advisor: Well that's... Wait. Sir, who is that? (points to a little boy)

President (holds up a vial of acid): I don't know what to do.

Advisor: Don't do it, sir -- there's no need to disfigure --

*SPLASH* (The President pours acid on the kid)

Advisor: Sir!

President: I had to do it Mike. I had no choice. Hundreds of thousands of American lives were at stake. I did the right thing, didn't I?

Advisor: (sighs) You did what you thought was neccessary, sir.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they're mocking a certain someone who is really in office?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
<SPOILER, Season 1>
Your employers arrange to have you shot, the person you're betraying for the sake of your employers risks his family to save your life, and you don't question your allegiance.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
At some point, somewhere, the presidents ex-wife will show up and he'll instantly take her into his counsel, but "he knows what he's doing".

Kim is annoying.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Going to the bathroom? An option. Even after trashy Mexican food the night before. Especially after said Mexican food.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe they're mocking a certain someone who is really in office?
From the little that I've seen of 24, I seriously doubt it. I've never seen a more republican show than that one.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember right, Palmer was a Democrat. And he was AWESOME.

I'm not sure if that was in response to Xavier, or another thing that's not realistic [Razz]

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
And apparently in 24 you can hide behind a rock and live through a nuclear explosion.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
And if you happen to be a key character, and get attacked by a deadly nerve agent that causes extreme physical distortion before death, you will get to die behind some large object. You get to die pretty.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Jack is the only person who can actually get anything done, so despite the nation being in extreme danger they will wait the 15min for him to get there rather than sending in someone else.

Of course this works for most any crime drama, CSI is the worst, I really don't think the same person will collect evidence, exam it and the body, chase and arrest suspects, as well as interrogating them, I am surprised the don't get to do the DA's job also.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
~You can clean up one of the deadliest chemical weapons by airing out a room for less then 15 minutes.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

-At the beginning of the hour, there will be another big meeting or conversation between key CTU's recapping what happened in the last hour. This is, of course, for the purposes of keeping everyone on the same page, not a plot device to remind the audience what the heck is going on after a week between episodes.

They funny thing is, I don't notice these happening, except when I watch the DVDs and go "yea yea, we know this already, it JUST FREAKIN HAPPENED!"

Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
Also the president gets up to the minute updates about ongoing field investigations via CELL PHONE with unlimited battery life every three minutes.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From the little that I've seen of 24, I seriously doubt it. I've never seen a more republican show than that one.
What, specifically, is Republican about 24?
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the United States a Democratic Republic?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:
quote:
What, specifically, is Republican about 24?
That's what I was wondering.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
For one, Rush Limbaugh recommends it as one of the best tv shows ever--that has got to give it some republican status.

[Smile]

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, 24 takes shots at both parties.

Remember during the lead up to the Iraqi war, season 2's plot was "We have to stop a war against innocent middle eastern countries that an evil oil company is starting to prop up the prices"

Of course, last year you had the terrorists calling a liberal civil rights group to protect one of their operatives that Jack had caught.

Don't be too quick to label it one way or the other.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
- No matter who the terrorists are, their bosses are eventually well-funded white guys in business suits, probably with Slavic accents.

X, can you give an example of a "democrat" show? Something like "In Justice", perhaps.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Lawyer shows are more likely to be Democrat-sympathetic, since Democrats always use the legal system to try to do an end run around the will of the majority, and win in the courts what they lost at the polls.

24 depicts a hero who gets things done by torturing terrorists and their lackeys. Jack Bauer thinks nothing of shooting a guy (or even his wife!) in the knee to make him talk. That kind of behavior in a field operative would send Democrats running to the ACLU for help.

I was saddened by the last episode, when it showed Samwise Gamgee expire twitching and frothing at the mouth. That must be the Scouring of the Shire that got left out of the movie.

When Lynn first showed up, he made good, sound decisions. (And how cool it was to see Sean Austin in such a role!) But after his sister set him up to be mugged, suddenly he started making such bad decisions that his underlings had to conspire to remove him from his position of authority. Then he redeemed himself by heroically saving everyone, at the cost of his own life. That seems to be a formula that is used for a lot of CTU directors on the show, come to think of it.

The POTUS on 24 is not anything like President Bush. The former has no strength of moral conviction. The latter has so much strength of conviction that he stands his ground even when everyone else is disagreeing with him and denouncing him--even his own party.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's the only real difference.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, a real "Democrat show" might be Judging Amy...it has lawyers, single moms, and lots of poor people. Plus, the judge's mother was/(is?) working with foster kids and runaways through a social reform program.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Lambert:
Then he redeemed himself by heroically saving everyone, at the cost of his own life. That seems to be a formula that is used for a lot of CTU directors on the show, come to think of it.

True. Refer to docmagik's contribution from above, quoted here:

quote:
- If you are a jerk boss, you will get the chance to redeem yourself, but it will cost you your life.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny-

I like it. How about the recently cancelled Book of Daniel as another "democrat" show.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
The Book of Daniel was political correctness run amok. It also could be described as Joan of Arcadia meets Fernwood (for those of you who may remember that goofily bent parody of soap operas that was quite popular for awhile, a few decades ago).

The only thing I really actively disliked about the show was the gratuitous and pointness inclusion of Jesus Christ as a manifestation that only Daniel could see. This portrayal of Jesus had Him saying nothing about any kind of moral standards, or warning about the consequences of immoral behavior. Everything people did was tolerated, and the only thing the Jesus manifestation ever said unapproving to Daniel was gentle reproofs about his habitual taking of Vicodins like candy (sort of reminiscent of House). There was no warning of what was coming, nothing miraculous. Jesus in this show could have been no more than an hullucination. But then, that is probably all that liberal writers could handle, anyway. I gave the show a fair chance. I watched the first three episodes (actually I recorded them and watched them at a later date). Finally I had enough. There's plenty other good stuff on Friday nights to watch (record).

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.