FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Recommends a Laptop (Update, may be ready to buy)

Author Topic: Hatrack Recommends a Laptop (Update, may be ready to buy)
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
So Niki (Valentine014) has started an online algebra class which has a TON of homework due each week, and in which the lessons are taught through video based computer programs.

Her laptop died a long time ago, and is old enough that its not really worth trying to get it repaired. So we only have my computer. So her afternoons are spent almost entirely on my computer.

The problem with this is that I spent a pretty penny on this computer, and basically not being able to use it for the next three to six months isn't very cool. I tend to rely on my computer for the majority of my entertainment, so I am finding myself sitting around trying to find something to do in the afternoons. I had just gotten into playing World of Warcraft, but that's not a game which you can play a couple hours a week and get much from it.

So we are considering buying a new computer. My tendancies run toward desktops, since I can build a basic one myself for pretty cheap. Plus if a part needs to be replaced or upgraded, I can do that myself. I won't open a laptop though.

But, we don't have much room in our apartment, and another desktop would be a tight squeeze. Plus, Niki has used a laptop for a long time, and has her heart set on one.

I don't know if there's room in our budget for a laptop, but we are looking anyway.

Hatrackers, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to help us not make a bad decision. We love our SanDisk Sansa mp3 players, so you did good with your recommendation there [Smile] .

We're looking for manufacturer, model, and location to buy recommendations. I don't have any brand loyalty, but Niki likes Dell.

I was looking at their Inspiron 6000 and it seems about what we are looking for. We'd most likely upgrade the battery for 50 bucks, but for what you get the price seems pretty good.

What our preferences are:
256mb RAM minimum, 512mb+ preferred
Silver (Niki's requirement [Roll Eyes] )
40gb hard drive minimum.
Decent sized screen (the 15.4 inch widescreen looks pretty darn good sized to me)

I don't think we'll be getting an extended warranty. The 1yr limited warranty should be fine. On Dell's website, it would take a good third of the computer's worth to both extend that another year or two, and to add the accident protection (which if something goes wrong, would probably be the most likely thing). If anyone has any counteradvice to this, I'd appreciate your input. Note, however, that any extended warranty will almost surely push it out of our budget.

Thanks in advance!

[ March 18, 2006, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Price range?
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I ask is depending on the price range and performance, it might be both fun and economical to build your own. I looked at doing it a while back, and it was actually quite a bit cheaper than Dell (and the case was a lot cooler). However, I was going for a performance oriented machine, not budget, so in that case Dell might be cheaper.

You basically buy a case which includes the screen and motherboard. You then choose the CPU, RAM, HD, optical drives, video card, wireless chip, etc. So you really have quite a bit of control over everything, and can often put higher quality components in for less cost (for example hard drives that will withstand a 10 G jolt rather than only 4 Gs).

Tom's Hardware had a how to on it a while back. If you're interested in going that route, let me know and I'll try to get some more information to you.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

- posted      Profile for Vamp96   Email Vamp96         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a Toshiba Satellite A105-S2716. It pretty much rocks! Its more black than silver though. I've only had it a few weeks so its a bit early to give a decent review of it. I am impressed with the Toshiba phone support. We had to call twice when we were setting it up and both times they helped us very quickly.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought an Inspiron 9300. I love it. And it loves me.

Anyway, there's a thread about this that was worked on not too long ago. I'll see if I can find it and we can add to it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hatrack Reviews: Laptops

Which reminds me, I need to start a new review.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Thanks Lyrhawn! Though in the computer world, six months is a long time. I will gave that thread a read however.

Bao, build a laptop? I'm not sure that's something I'm prepared to do. I didn't think anyone did that. I'm afraid to even open the things.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Dell 8200 that I've been quite happy with, although it's almost 3 years old now. I believe I did get the warranty extended from the standard one to the 2-year mail-in one, which actually came in very handy for me - last spring, the screen died in the middle of finals week (more or less causing me to completely spaz in panic), so after temporarily buying an external screen so I could finish my work, I mailed the laptop (in a box that Dell express-mailed to me) to Dell to be fixed and got it back with a new screen in less than a week.

I also recently upgraded the RAM from 256mb to 512mb, since after installing Photoshop my computer started having major lack of memory issues, and the upgrade was actually pretty easy. I'm not a computer techie, but I managed to switch out the old part and in the new one without breaking anything by just reading (and following) the directions that came with the new card and comparing them to the laptop manual. I bought the new RAM from Dell for about $60. My laptop also only has a 30gb hard drive, so I'd like to upgrade that at some point as well (in lieu of buying a whole new laptop, since I can't afford that).

The only thing I really don't like about my laptop is that it's on the heavy side (approx 5 lbs), so I don't take it places very often. I also don't like the fact that it's old and that my iPod has a bigger hard drive than it, but that's not the computer's fault. [Wink]

This is the only laptop I've had, so I can't make any comparisons with other brands, but I hope some of this is a little helpful.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops, I forgot that I'd detailed my meager laptop experience in the other thread. [Blushing]

Ah well, I've apparently added a few new details, so it's not a completely wasted read. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Sure, but there's collective knowledge on there. Might not be a bad idea to add more to it.

Anyway. My Dell was very expensive, but it's the best thing I've ever bought. My mom got a Dell 700M, but she hates it, though I really don't know why. She blames her computer for her wireless mouse not working, which I don't really get, but whatever.

My best friend bought an HP, and has nad nothing but problems with it, though, my mom bought a similar HP and loves it better than her new Dell.

Hard to tell from random stories.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a new Dell inspiron 700m on Ebay back in August, and it's working great -- even through the abuse it takes being dragged around daily in my backpack (though it is safe in its own laptop-slot). It has most everything I wanted in a laptop -- it has a 2.5 hour life on the basic battery, integrated wireless, and a wide screen. It's also very compact and light. I paid about 1000 dollars including shipping and all.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Compaq Presario somethingorother that I've beaten to crap and back, and it still runs great. [Smile] It has a 17" widescreen, which is HUGE.

I'm going to need to start bringing a computer to class when I start grad school, and I think I'm gonna try to get my hands on a 12".

This one is awesome, though. It's like basically a desktop replacement laptop. My biggest complaint is that it's heavy.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

This is the spec from dell that we are thinking of ordering. Let me know if there is something that jumps out at you for not being quite kosher.

Also, I'd like to know if this is a good deal or not. We aren't buying any of the extra software, so don't pay any attention to that.

quote:
Inspiron 6000 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 735 (1.70GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
LCD Panel 15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel
Memory 1GB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
Video Card 128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics
Hard Drive 80GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
Combo/DVD+RW Drives FREE! 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW)
Wireless Networking Card Dell 1370 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps)
Office Software (not included in Windows XP) No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) No Security Subscription
Primary Battery 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (53 WHr)
Hardware Warranty 1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service & Support
Dell Recycling Free Recycling Kit
Operating System Re-Installation CD PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
Dell Digital Entertainment Starter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital Music, Photo and Game experience
TOTAL:$874.00

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.