FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » V for Vendetta (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: V for Vendetta
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
The Kennedy inaugural did some work, also.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic movie.

I'm a little surprised at the Baron's skepticism in the actions of the British people.

You ask the difference between the British in this movie and other societies that have put up with repressive governments. The British people have been free for hundreds of years. They have a long history of removing dictatorial power and investing it in the people. A longer history than America in fact, on that score. It's not hard at all to believe that after a decade or two of repression, still knowing well their memories of how a free life used to be, that when someone cracks open the door they will all walk through.

Were someone to blow up the Supreme Court building then go on TV to explain that the people should all meet him at the steps of Congress the next year, and during that year assasinations happened left and right of high level officials, you wouldn't forget. Nothing can make you forget.

No matter what the plausible explanations are, when visible members of the establishment start dropping off left and right, in a government you ALREADY don't trust to begin with, you're going to wonder, and with every lie they feed you the resentment would grow stronger and stronger, until all you needed was a single match to ignite the tension, and V was the match.

It's not hard to believe the people would gather, anymore than it was easy to believe that people gathered in Chicago in I, Robot to fight the robots who'd taken over the city. Or hard to believe that protestors gathered in Alabama to protest segregation and racism.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved that part in I robot, when they all have like bats, moltov cocktails and chains, and your just thinking, "MORONS!!!, They're robots who can throw cars, your not going to win this one! GET SOME GUNS!!!"
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of them had guns. They mowed down the front line of robots, but there was a surprisingly small amount of people with guns in Chicago. Might have been a sign of the times though, it was Chicago in the future, maybe they'd cleaned up the crime problem and less people had guns.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.