FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Alphabet According to Ketchup Princess

Author Topic: The Alphabet According to Ketchup Princess
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
People have given the Princess all these Leapfrog toys that sing the Alphabet song. She's started singing along, but the way she does it is quite amusing. (You have to wonder what an almost-two-year-old thinks the alphabet song is all about, even though we show her the letters and their sounds...)

When Emma sings the alphabet, this is how it goes:

"Bay, bee, tsee, bee, bee, bee, bee,
Bay, buh, bee, bee, bee, bee, bee.
Ooh, bah, ssst, bee, bee, bee,
Bub-loo, kkks, aaah, bee.
Bay-bee, bay-bee, bay-bee, bee,
Bay-bee, bay-bee, bee bee bee!"

I've been trying to avoid posting this. I just couldn't anymore with the overflow of cuteness... Sorry!

(Oh, did I mention that she dances when she sings this, too, and that if you start singing the ABCs she'll start doing her little dance and singing along? I swear, we should rent her out at parties, it's hilarious!)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cute, kq. I had a younger 2nd cousin who did much the same thing back a few years ago. Little kids do the cutest things.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The funniest part is when you ask her to identify a letter that you point out and she answers, almost without exception, "Bee!"
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, too cute. [Smile]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite alphabet song was on the Daily Show. I think it was Steve Colbert. He was sitting on a stool in a darkened studio, and had declared that the ABC song would be quite something if sung out of alphabetical order. He had a guitar, and was all 1960's-singer-serious, as he sang:

DEG WMLO
STVYPKT

Etc.

I was roaring.

Kq, what does Emma do when she hears Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? Does she use the same lyrics? I would love to know.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
You should teach her the alphabet in French.

ah, bay, say, day, euh, eff, jay,
ahsh, eee, jee, kah, el em en oh pay,
cue, air, ess, tay, ooo, vay,
doobluhvay ecks, eegrec, zed...

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Kq, what does Emma do when she hears Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? Does she use the same lyrics? I would love to know.
She doesn't sing "Twinkle, Twinkle" at all, she just does the hand motions! And she just "baas" through "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep".
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Bay-bee means she's just too ready for Bridget.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when Sasha's favorite number was W.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
She can spell "Emma": Bee Bee Bee Bay!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
So cuuute!
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Head about to asplode from overload of cuteness. [Smile]

And I agree with Tinros. As soon as she's mastered the English alphabet, teach her the French one (btw, Tinros' transliteration was quite good.) The only thing cuter than a kid singing the ABC's while dancing around is one who can do it bilingually.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
AlphaOops: the Day Z Went First

I know the author. She's exceptional.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Too cute, kq!

Sophie sings "no, no, no, no, ABC's"...next time won't you sing with me [Smile] It makes me smile every time.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
She knows her letters, but "now I know my ABCs" turns into "no no no no ABCs." [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it! sounds so familiar.

My babygirl has started counting in Spanish: "Uno, dosh, trace, sinko, seis, ay-chay, ocho, wayvay."

Her voice goes up into the stratosphere on the second syllable of each word. It's so cute.

Since we're not a bilingual household, I'm thinking: too much Dora? [Blushing]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so adorable. I love the image of the little dance!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cute KQ! My little one says el-em-en-o-pee like one letter. Those are also the ones she has trouble recognizing since they aren't separate letters in her mind.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Just the grin I needed on a tired afternoon!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
*head asplodes* [Kiss]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My little one says el-em-en-o-pee like one letter.
They Might Be Giants has a song about this:

"LMNO! Is four letters! LMNO! Is not one!"

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We love that song. [Big Grin] Emma dances to that, too.

She dances to most music, actually.

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
LMNO is not one letter?

According to our family it's more often "M&M-O-P".

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
kinda sinoish.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jenna, according to Emma, M&Ms are "Emma-Ems!" And of course, they all rightfully belong to her. [Big Grin]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there was an N between X and Z
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
No no no! The letter between X and Z is properly pronounced "Wyan".
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Oh dear I've forgotten the alphabet, I thought there was an N between Y and Z
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
No no no! The letter between X and Z is properly pronounced "Wyan".
I knew a little boy named Ryan who pronounced his name "Wyan", and yes, he thought that the alphabet song had his name in it.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
What a charming little Princess she is!! Sounds like she's got babies on her mind and just in time, too.

Did I mention that I can't wait to see how she reacts to Bridget? She's my model for Aerin - I find myself thinking, "Emma didn't like being confined, maybe I should try not swaddling," etc.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.