FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I had to put my cat to sleep on Friday

Author Topic: I had to put my cat to sleep on Friday
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
My small elegant gray tabby cat Shadow (an unoriginal name but appropriate because she used to follow us all around meowing) died on St. Patrick's Day. She had breast cancer, and it metastasized and her breathing became very labored, and the vet said it would be best if we put her to sleep at once.

I've had her since I was six or seven, and she was my responsibility until I left for college. She had a minor jaw problem that caused her tongue to stick out a little bit when she was happy, and she did not think it necessary to move for the convenience of anyone in the family (or to move with any speed for a car she recognized). In her youth she was a mighty huntress and presented us with rats and mice and heads of cardinals and once a small snake, which my younger sister took to school for Show and Tell. She liked to sleep curled up in the sun in our front garden, or in the shade of the azalea bush by the oak tree.

I can hardly remember a time that she wasn't around. She got hit by a car about a year after we got her, and the experience convinced her to stay close to the house, so she was usually on or around the porch and front yard. I miss her every time I walk into the house and don't see her lounging on the front steps. I really had no idea that I was going to be this undone by losing her; I suppose because I never seriously thought of losing her. In the extremities of sickness she always remained tough and agile and vocal, and she was that way to the end. She tried to jump off the table at the vet's as the tranquilizer was kicking in.

Avadaru held her head and whispered to her while she died, for which I'd thank her in person if it wouldn't make me cry.

I'm sad.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'm sorry Fyfe. I've lost pets too, and it's always hard.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
It is really hard to have to put the kitty you grew up with to sleep. I still cry when I think about my Maxx I had to put to sleep 5 years ago. [Frown] I'm so sorry you're going through the pain of losing your furry friend.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. Your story reminds me of the pets I've had to put down, myself. The memories still bring tears. [Frown]
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I love you.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I'm sorry.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Fyfe,

I am so sorry for the loss of Shadow. You gave her wonderful life and she is truly lucky to have you. (((hugs)))

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, dear! That is very sad. We will remember Shadow always, and know that she's curled up in the lap of God now. It's right that you should grieve, for she was like a daughter to you in many ways. May you find comfort in your grief, and may her memory stay alive in your heart with joy.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, Fyfe. It's hard.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.