FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Squid Martigan Experience (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Squid Martigan Experience
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

- posted      Profile for Squid Martigan           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the last line would be better as,

"Fried result so grand"

Posts: 71 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Squinchy fat goodness
Such fine anticipation
My heart cannot wait

Posts: 71 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... <considers deleting thread, if just to get under Martigan's skin>
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Why would you want to do that, Primal Curve?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
So all the bacon related thoughts in your brain will have no way out, hopefully leading to a highly amusing *head asplodes*
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Oxidation is refers to an actual chemical reaction, whereby something reacts with oxygen and loses an electron. I'm not positive,

You are if you lose an electron.

(Sorry, I finally got around to reading this thread.)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

For a second, I thought you were punning "Election" and "Electron."
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Squid Martigan:
Why would you want to do that, Primal Curve?

Because you annoy me.
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

I annoy you? I have tried to be as nice as I can! I always welcome people's thoughts, and comments, and suggestions, and consider all friendly words as well as it is possible for me to do. I like people, but now you are making me feel as though you are a disgruntled neighbor, and I don't want a disgruntled neighbor. I want to make everyone happy, but I "annoy" you. That's mean.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Post in another thread, show that you like the community.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

I don't understand why it is imperative that I stop replying on this discussion topic.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't as much that as that you start somewhere else.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Are other people on the discussion board that don't diversify their discussion topics are ostracized? I looked on some other topics and people usually seem to get mad only when another person talking on the topic becomes disrespectful, not because the person has posted multiple times on that topic!
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

I am curious-- do I annoy anyone besides Primal? And what is bad about me liking to make bacon?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are other people on the discussion board that don't diversify their discussion topics are ostracized?
That's tough to answer, because I've never seen any other member refuse to post in more than one thread.

quote:
And what is bad about me liking to make bacon?
Nothing at all. Making bacon, both literally and figuratively, is one of the funnest things you can do. But when it seems your only interest is bacon, you come off a little weird. Just so you know. You aren't annoying me, beyond keeping this thread afloat for days after it would've normally gone to sleep with the fishes. But people do things that annoy me more than that all the time.

More than anything, you're making me curious as to what drives a man who's compelled to talk about bacon and nothing else. Does he eat bacon at every meal? Ya just can't do that! Is his dog named 'Bacon'? Does he work for Hormel? Just some things I've been kicking around.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

I talk about a lot more than bacon! And I don't eat bacon at every meal. I just like it a lot, is all. Oh, and I don't like any hormel products. I think the stuff they make is usually gross.
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Oh! I highly suggest avoiding the bacon in Subway sandwiches. It's just not good.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
My goodness, Squid, are you really someone else?

If you really are a new member, welcome, and hope to see you posting on other topics. Hatrack can be a very enjoyable place.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Squid, I might try your method if you would put it in a post that had paragraph breaks.

I read about a method of cooking salt pork where you par boil* the strips, then dip them in flour, and then panfry them. I haven't actually tried it. But it would be good knowing it violated every diet known to man.

*par boil = place in water in a cold pan and heat to boiling.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Er, isn't par-boiling when you lower something into water that's already boiling for just a few seconds, like tomatoes for fifteen seconds for removal of the skin?

That does sound like it'd be tasty, but horribly unhealthy!

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, that's blanching. Par-boiling is boiling until not fully cooked.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

<is getting tempted to delete the thread by outside influences>

Back, you foul demon! BACK, I say!

Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Hey Primal Curve-- I branched out and posted on the Flaming Lips discussion!
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

You like the Flaming Lips? My estimation of your character has just improved.
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

I am a HUGE Lips Fan. That's "Flaming-" and not "pork-", to recycle my own stupid joke.
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Parboiled floured deep fried
Allures sizzle curls bursting
hot bite, flavor time

Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Hmm... in the second line, "sizzle" should come before "allures."
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Congrats on branching out, Squid.
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Thank you! As you can see, this doesn't mean I've abandoned bacon!
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

This is much better than deleting the thread.

<evil grin>

dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Primal, I think I love you! You are deliciously evil, not unlike bacon! [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Deleting threads seems pretty mean, and I guess this gives you some happiness? Eh, you seem pretty funny, Primal Curve. Have I really seemed like I "won't shut up about it"?
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

I do feel honored to have my name in the discussion title! (Even if it's a little frown-hearted)
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
"frown-hearted"? is that a Care Bears reference?

and squid, will you marry me? you can just cook bacon all day long and serve it to me, and i'll go to work and support you. cool?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never cooked bacon for myself.

However, the delicious and crispy Canadian bacon at the Original Pancake House is one of my few non-vegetarian indulgences.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Original Pancake House? I've heard of International House of Pancakes and Waffle House, but neffer Pancake House. crazy.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
mmmmmmmmmmm OPH........... I haven't gone there in a long time...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Original Pancake House is delicious. I should go there before I leave South Carolina since they don't have them in Pittsburgh. Mmmmm.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Do not sully the bacon thread with talk of Canadian bacon! Canadian bacon is inferior in every way, and does not deserve to call itself bacon of any kind!
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Canadian Bacon can be good in its own way, but it is only tangentially related to the far superior regular bacon.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squid Martigan
Member # 9276

Hah! Canadian Bacon is merely thinly-sliced ham with "canadian bacon" printed on the package.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I think canadian bacon pizza is in order for lunch. Thanks for the idea!

(We had bacon with dinner last night. Breakfast for dinner is the best.)

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Canadian bacon and Pineapple?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I have to say that I laugh, aloud, every time I see this thread's title. Every. Single. Time.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
You eat your mutton and bacon raw? [Eek!]

Indeed. Every speck of bacon and mutton I eat is raw.
Why don't you like mutton? I've had mutton shwarma in Israel, and it's yummy. Mutton is to lamb as beef is to veal, is all.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Squid Martigan:
I also wonder, if someone ate a Piggie (Speaker For the Dead) would its meat taste like earth pork?

Piggies taste like chicken.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by pooka:

Do you know that I've never known what par-boil means? It never occurred to me to look it up, either, because it wasn't that important, but I had no idea that it was like the frog thing

Thanks, pooka. Learn something new every day, I guess.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
You know, I have to say that I laugh, aloud, every time I see this thread's title. Every. Single. Time.

<bows> I thought it'd be a gas.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Piggies taste like chicken.

Has anyone else ever read that weird short story by Quine?
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
Originally posted by pooka:

Do you know that I've never known what par-boil means? It never occurred to me to look it up, either, because it wasn't that important, but I had no idea that it was like the frog thing

Thanks, pooka. Learn something new every day, I guess.

I'm sorry to report, that pooka has provided incorrect information on parboiling. Parboil, means to cook partially by boiling. Most commonly this is done by first bringing the water to a boil, and then briefly immersing the object to be cooked in the boiling water.

If you follow pooka's instructions, you won't have proper controll over the cooking time and so you are as likely to end up with something fully cooked as partially cooked.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.