FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Swimsuits and Modesty (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Swimsuits and Modesty
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Space Opera:
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:

But yeah, my aunt had her third and final child six years ago and she still has a pot belly, though she's slim everywhere else.

*screams* Did you understand you were saying this to someone who is 6 months post-partum with her third child?

[Razz]

space opera

I was mentioning to a friend that Newport News lets you shop for swimsuits by your body type and she wondered if one of the types was "gave birth to three children".
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading this thread, I shopped for suit online. Then I spent the $80 on yarn instead.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I just purchased the Victoria's Secret suit in cranberry and black. [Smile] It will be here on Monday!

Although the customer service guy on the phone was....a guy. So it was kind of weird to order from him.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I just purchased the Victoria's Secret suit in cranberry and black. [Smile] It will be here on Monday!

Although the customer service guy on the phone was....a guy. So it was kind of weird to order from him.

-pH

Yeah. A man who does the customer service for Victoria's Secret has women calling him all day and night describing their underwear. I can understand how this kind of job would have appeal, but I might find it creepy to describe my underwear to a stranger on the phone.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
ClaudiaTheresa, well, at least I can be proud of being able to trigger such deep thoughts, if not thinking them myself [Wink] But seriously, I think you've got a point there. And I often resent the way media made everybody know how a 'perfect body' should look, while we all know perfectly well that 'perfection' is a thing that's hard to find, so almost everyone has SOME misgivings as to the way they look and YET we follow the fashion and wear skimpy costumes even though we don't feel completely comfortable in them. (but then, what choice do we have?) And we treat stretch marks or additional fat as if it was some monstruosity, while it's a perfectly normal thing and it's rather unusual when you DON'T have anything of the kind...

Now you've got me all wound up... [Smile]

(And the thing that made me blush was your raised eyebrow: very scary, even when you just read about it [Smile] I prefer when you write about smiling)

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
After thinking about things and reading and discussing the question, I've just about decided that the societal concept of "modesty" (which almost always seems to apply to females only) is largely oppressive.

It's totally contingent on time and place for context, and the best thing of all is if your particular time and place has extremely free standards of modesty, so that you can personally dress in a way that's comfortable, cool, and allows free movement, but is still considered modest in your culture.

All of us who feel we should dress modestly, are nevertheless grateful for the fact that in our culture today, we can show our ankles and wrists and faces and still be thought modest. We pity the women of yesteryear, and of other societies, who must cover up so much that normal jobs become impossible, playground activities for girls are severely curtailed, and basically it's not easy to carry on an ordinary human life.

So, on serious consideration, I've decided all such standards are a bunch of hooey (to quote a dear friend from another thread [Wink] ). Wear what you feel comfortable wearing, and don't worry about it. If that's nothing but your skin, then you might get arrested (like that carpenter guy), but you won't get any flak from me about it. [Smile]

[ May 04, 2006, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.