FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » This is how you pronounce "Tante"

Author Topic: This is how you pronounce "Tante"
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
**Public Service Announcement**

It rhymes with "Want a". I'm not making this up -- ask any of my nephews!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
I always pronounced it French: "tahnt."

Is it the Hebrew word, then? Not French?

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Yiddish.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Sorry.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Again with this?
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always pronounced it "tan-tea". My way kind of rhymes with auntie.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. I always figured it rhymed with Dante. I'll correct my mental voice immediately. [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*continues the Wanna Tante song in this thread*

[Party]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Count me as one that pronounced it like the french word for aunt...I've been saying it repeatedly in my head to correct my head's version. [Smile]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
What a helpful thread. I Always pronounced it as if it rhymed with Dante.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Its the same as the German word and while it might not rhyme with "auntie", that is what it means.

I've been told that Yiddish is a German dialect that is written with Hebrew letters. One of my good friends is Jewish who grew up in a Yiddish speaking household. We occasionally amuse ourselves comparing Yiddish and modern German words. She says that southern German/Austrian dialects seem closest to Yiddish. A lot of the Ashkenazi Jewish cuisine is close to Austrian cuisine as well. I guess that all makes sense considering that the Ashkenazi Jews lived in the region for a long time before they were forced to move further east.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I was saying it right! What do I win?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Enigmatic --> [Kiss] <-- Tante
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just call you Tonto?
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Uh, no. [Big Grin]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
See I was close (I didn't mean the color tan, I just couldn't think of another lettering) t-on-ta would be closest to what I say. That's what my pre school teacher's daughter called the other teachers there (apparently she thought of them as her mother's sisters).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante, Does Schvester mean sister in Yiddish? If so, is it a family name or are you aunt and sister?

[ March 23, 2006, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
I've been told that Yiddish is a German dialect that is written with Hebrew letters. One of my good friends is Jewish who grew up in a Yiddish speaking household. We occasionally amuse ourselves comparing Yiddish and modern German words. She says that southern German/Austrian dialects seem closest to Yiddish.

I believe that Yiddish is usually considered a separate language, not a dialect, but it split off recently enough that there's still probably a pretty high degree of mutual intelligibility.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I was thinking it was pronounced "taint," as in "corrupt." [Razz]

Colour me silly.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Tante means "Aunt" (which I am!)
Shvester means "Sister" (which I am!)
So I guess it is a "family name".

And Shvester rhymes with my real name, which is Esther.

Some of my friends call me Shvester Esther, or Esther mein Shvester. And my nephews call me Tante Esther.

Shvester also means "nurse" (which I also am!)

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Shvester also means "nurse"

I didn't know that. [Cool]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, since I don't know Yiddish and I did take a bunch of French years ago, why on earth have I been pronouncing it correctly all along in my mind when one would think I'd pronounce it the French way? Hmmm. Maybe just because it needs two syllables to sound "right" in front of Shvester?

It really has been ages since I've taken French, but isn't there some rule where silent "e"s at the ends of words are sometimes pronounced before a word beginning with a consonant? (yeah, we're talking over 20 years since I studied it, but wouldn't, say, Tante Marie be pronounced TAHN-tuh Marie instead of just TAHNT Marie?)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it rhymed with Dante, as well. It's too firmly rooted in my head that way to change it easily, so it'll stay that way when I say it in my head. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Shvester also means "nurse"

I didn't know that. [Cool]
And it's a titel for nuns. At least in the german version: "Schwester".

A "Schwester" in a german hospital can be male or female. You can say "Schwester Robert" for example, but that's quite old-fashioned. (Same applies to "nurse", doesn't it?).
If you know that you refer to a male "Schwester", you normally use the term "Pfleger",
but not "Bruder" (=brother). That'd be a monk.

You don't use "Pflegerin" (the female version of that noun) for a "Schwester" in a hospital, because the "Schwestern" have a better education (a longer apprenticeship and thus better medical skills and knowledge).

A "Pflegerin" cares for people who need help in their daily lives, because they are handicapped or old or disabled in any way. (Male people in that job are also called "Pfleger", there's just that one term for both of the jobs, as far as I know.)

I think Yiddish is as much an own language as the Austrian and the Swiss language. It's actually easier for me to understand those three languages than most of the dialects in Germany! [Wink]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Funny:
I always thought it rhymed with Dante, as well. It's too firmly rooted in my head that way to change it easily, so it'll stay that way when I say it in my head. [Big Grin]

And how DO you pronounce "Dante"? [Wink]

"Tante": the 'A' from 'fun' and the 'E' from 'the'

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Pinky, which Swiss language would that be, precisely? Romansch? Swiss French? [Wink]

I assume you mean Schweizerdeutsch, but that is a dialect -- well, several overlapping dialects. But you're right -- certainly Yiddish has far more claim to independent language status than Schweizerdeutsch does.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
It really has been ages since I've taken French, but isn't there some rule where silent "e"s at the ends of words are sometimes pronounced before a word beginning with a consonant? (yeah, we're talking over 20 years since I studied it, but wouldn't, say, Tante Marie be pronounced TAHN-tuh Marie instead of just TAHNT Marie?)
It's TAHNT Marie. (I HAVE a "Tante Marie" in France [Big Grin] ) Or 'comm(e) dessert', not 'comm e-dessert'.

I tried to find some examples for that "silent 'e'"- rule, but I couldn't find any but songs like "Frère Jaques". But then it's "Frè-re Jaqu-es" and not "Frer e-Jaqu-es", too.

I admit, I probably forgot more French than I've ever learned (9 years at school), but I think you probably mean the "silent 's'"- rule...("ils" and "ont" -> "il s-on") [Dont Know]

Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Pinky, which Swiss language would that be, precisely? Romansch? Swiss French? [Wink]

Ha ha. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to refer to Swiss French or Swiss Italian, would it? [Big Grin]

quote:
I assume you mean Schweizerdeutsch, but that is a dialect -- well, several overlapping dialects. But you're right -- certainly Yiddish has far more claim to independent language status than Schweizerdeutsch does.
Okay, I read the article on wikipedia. Mea culpa. I'm quite astonished that Schweizerdeutsch is STILL called a dialect! (I don't think the average Schweizer agrees to THAT! [Wink] )
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I admit, I probably forgot more French than I've ever learned (9 years at school), but I think you probably mean the "silent 's'"- rule...("ils" and "ont" -> "il s-on")
Pinky, thanks, I think you're right!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

Anytime.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pinky:
quote:
It's TAHNT Marie. (I HAVE a "Tante Marie" in France [Big Grin] ) Or 'comm(e) dessert', not 'comm e-dessert'.

I tried to find some examples for that "silent 'e'"- rule, but I couldn't find any but songs like "Frère Jaques". But then it's "Frè-re Jaqu-es" and not "Frer e-Jaqu-es", too.

I admit, I probably forgot more French than I've ever learned (9 years at school), but I think you probably mean the "silent 's'"- rule...("ils" and "ont" -> "il s-on") [Dont Know]

I think this used to be a rule but isn't anymore, though, as Pinky said, you can still find it in songs. I'm not sure how long ago they would have stopped pronouncing the e in normal language, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Okay, I read the article on wikipedia. Mea culpa. I'm quite astonished that Schweizerdeutsch is STILL called a dialect! (I don't think the average Schweizer agrees to THAT! )
It seems that what makes something a separate language as opposed to a dialect is that it is written differently. Hence we refer to different chinese dialects, even though the spoken languanges are as different as different European languages. Based on my experiences in Switzerland, Austria, and with Yiddish speakers, spoken Yiddish is closer to modern high German than all Swiss dialects and many Austrian dialects. But Yiddish is established in writing where, Schweizerdeutch is not, ergo Yiddish is considered a language and Schweizerdeutch a dialect (well actually a family of dialects).

In truth, there is no such thing as Schweizerdeutch, every village in Switzerland has its own dialect. Although people do transcribe Schweizerdeutch phonetically, Swiss children are still taught to write in high German and Swiss newpapers are in high German.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
To repeat the common adage, the difference between a dialect and a language is an army and a navy.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*this post removed due to [Razz] *

[ March 24, 2006, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I've heard that old adage somewhere before.
rivka
Member # 4859

Wow, in an hour and a half it went from "common" to "old"!

That's fast.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Darn it, my post hadn't appeared yet for me when I posted the second time [Razz] .

*goes to edit and make other people look silly*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.