FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I Heart Huckabees is fantastic...

Author Topic: I Heart Huckabees is fantastic...
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
and it seems like very few people agree with me.

What gives? The movie is hilarious and absurd and meaningful and smart on so many levels and makes me think and rings absolutely true. It's superbly acted and filmed. The music is wonderful. Within two minutes of watching this movie for the first time I knew I loved it. And yet some people I talk to just don't get it. They thought it wasn't funny, that it was boring, or stupid. I mean, other than my girlfriend, I can't think of any person I actually know IRL that loves this movie.

Anyway, here are some quotes in honor of its greatness:

quote:
Look, I'm not really sure I know exactly
what you guys do here, all right?

Well, we, uh... We'll investigate
and solve your case.

How?

If you sign a contract, we'll follow you.

You'll spy?

Yes.

On me?

Yes.

Will you be spying on me in the bathroom?

Yes.

In the bathroom?

Yes.

Why?

There's nothing too small.

quote:
Have you ever transcended space and time?

Yes. No. Uh, time not space. NO, I don't know
what you're talking about.

quote:
You hired the detectives!

You don't have to listen to every word that they say.

How am I supposed to know which parts to listen to?

I'll tell you.

NO! That's confusing.

quote:
How am I not myself?
I could list a million more, but so many of them are in the delivery, or context. Naomi Watts is fantastic, her breakdown at Huckabees is one of the funniest moments in the movie for me. And "How am I not myself" and Jude's breakdown is I think one of the best scenes in the movie. That one scene made me respect Jude Law tons.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I also love this movie. I have the DVD, and the commentary track with the the director, Jason Schwartzman, and Mark Wahlberg is totally worth a listen. I haven't watched it with the commentary that's just the director yet (I'm totally spacing out on his name right now).

I do not cope well with watching the boardroom portion of Jude Law's dismantling. I think you know what I'm talking about.

Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin are wonderful in this movie, too.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently a kid from my hometown plays some sort of bellboy or something in the movie. I haven't seen it yet
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
That movie is THE BEST EVER AND I LOVE IT LIKE MY BABIES.

Many agree, actually. Most of my friends, at least. And a huge number of critics.

http://citypages.com/databank/26/1257/article12827.asp

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't recall a bellboy -- there is a doorman, though, Mr. Nimieri, a tall Black man who is supposed to be a Sudanese refugee. He's played by Ger Duany...says he graduated from Bloomington High School on imdb...is that the guy breyer?

Some more great Huckabees quotes:

quote:
What is it, a crime? Is it a crime to look at Lange?
quote:
Brad, do you love me?
I think so.
With the bonnet?
Ehh...

quote:

These are the best tops around.
Last time, last year, not so good.
But now THIS is the truth!

quote:

Nobody sits like this rock sits. You rock, rock. The rock just sits and is. You show us how to just sit here and that's what we need.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of my friends agree too. I own it. In fact, I just watched it last week.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I adore this movie and try to spread its goodness wherever I can.

Actually, I distinctly remember going to see it - I wasn't too excited about it. Walking out of the movie, I was honestly surprised I liked it as much as I did. I went back to see it three times in the theatre (I got in free back in the day). And now I own it.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in the theater...I had a feeling I would love it...and I wasn't wrong. This movie is so much like life, absurd, funny, ironic, heartbreaking, true, gritty, lovely, harsh, etc, etc, etc.

Every time I watch this movie I can't help but feel moved, and more centered and connected to everythingness...like the blanket.

I too have run into quite a few people who didn't care for the movie, or even hated it. *shrug* not everyone gets the irony of life, not everyone gets I heart Huckabies.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to see it.

Still do.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it too!

David O. Russell, if I'm not mistaken.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't met anyone who disliked it, at least vocally. It's often a good talking point because it's so interesting.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this movie. One of my friends in my Ancient Philosophy class left it at my house for me to watch one day.

The performances are amazing (who knew Walberg could really act?!) and I love all the dialogue. After I watched it with my boyfriend we did the "ball-thingy" using pillows. haha.

Its certainly seems like one of those movies where people either love it or hate it, they get it or they don't get it.

I'm graduating as a philosphy major next spring and it would be quite fun if "existential detective" was a real career choice.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
That's it Leonide, I just looked it up on IMDB and they're wrong, Duany and Kueth are his cousins not brothers.

And I graduated from Bloomington High School South.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Well this thread has reafirmed my faith in humanity a little bit.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
I haven't met anyone who disliked it, at least vocally. It's often a good talking point because it's so interesting.

I originally saw it in the theater with my parents. They hated it, and said it was stupid. There's no accounting for taste.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I only liked it OK. I thought it was a great idea, and had some very nice bits... but that it was too much of a mess. I wanted to like it more than I actually did. Sort of how I love Charlie Kaufman's films (Being John Malkovich, etc.) but see one of his earliest ones, Human Nature, as being a mess.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I Heart this movie!

I am watching it on HBO. I have seen it in pieces, because I never seem to get it from the start all the way through.

It is absurd and sick, and so am I.

Oh, my.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this movie. Somehow manages to be ironic about philosophy yet insightful at the same time.
Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I Heart Huckabees" is much less interesting if you've read the Dirk Gently books.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I HAVE read the Dirk Gently books. And love them.

And yet somehow you're still wrong. [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.