FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Humpback Whale Songs Possess Distinct Syntax

Author Topic: Humpback Whale Songs Possess Distinct Syntax
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I know, it's been thought to be true for years, but according to this article there is a study published in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America that establishes it firmly.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanINPnet
Member # 8363

- posted      Profile for RyanINPnet   Email RyanINPnet         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a Journal of the Acoustical Society of America...? See, you DO learn something new everyday.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, distinct syntax! That's more than you can say for some things you read on the Internet that were posted by humans...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] kq
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
That is seriously cool. Even apes that have learned sign language have never been able to display any sort of grammar—they just repeat words over and over in a pretty arbitrary manner.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

While that's largely true, Jon Boy, there are exceptions. Kanzi, for example, seems to possess a certain degree of understanding of grammar.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
dori, is that you?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is neat, but I think it's really far from the point where whales can be ascribed the ability to produce language even somewhat akin to humans.

What separates animal language from human language is that it isn't creative syntactically: they don't have the capability to change "I have food" to "Do you have food?" .

Still, the fact that their language has some sort of organization of constituents is promising indeed!

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
While that's largely true, Jon Boy, there are exceptions. Kanzi, for example, seems to possess a certain degree of understanding of grammar.

Other apes have demonstrated an understanding of grammar, but to my knowledge no ape has demonstrated the ability to use grammar. For instance, Nim Chimpsky's longest utterance was "Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." Not exactly a grammatical construction.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
How exciting. [Smile]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me be the first to welcome our new cetacean overlords [Wink]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.