FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The best music you've never heard. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The best music you've never heard.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently rediscovered my love for this band called Vex Red. I currently have their CD playing on shuffle repeat.

They're kind of...I don't know how to describe it. And the recommendation bands that come up with it aren't anywhere close.

They're described as having "hard rocking riffs and "raving electronic melodies." Sort of alternative-ish. Anyways, they're really good. I don't even know if they're still together or not.

What bands do you like that not many other people might've ever heard?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ordered approximately by how much I enjoy them:

The Meligrove Band
Novillero
MSTRKRFT
Metric
Beneath Augusta
Controller.Controller

There's some great stuff happening in the Canadian indie scene these days. [Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
um... Keller Williams is excellent.
North Mississippi Allstars is great Southern Blues
Rocky Mountain Yonder String Band is great Bluegrass
i should hope that everyone knows Ween, they are fantastic.
G. Love and Special Sauce are excellent hip hop/blues/jazz
too many to name...

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
My Morning Jacket
Sufjan Stevens
FoxyMorons

I got "Z" by My Morning Jacket about a month ago and I haven't been able to stop listening to it. A great album from start to finish. I don't really know how to describe it. A melodic mix of rock influences with haunting vocals.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
twinky took several of mine but I will add:

Wintersleep - check out the video for their song "Fog". It is very cool.

the smalls were a very cool Punk/Metal with a bit of country thrown in band from Alberta. They broke up years ago but I still listen to them quite a bit.

Christine Fellows is really impressing me lately. Sort of alternative folk. Her voice reminds me of Lisa Loeb a bit but her music isn't as mainstream.

Buck 65 is great, laid-back hip-hop from eastern Canada.

Stars - Set Yourself On Fire album is really solid.

Drive-By Truckers are great gritty Country-Rock.

Bend Sinister seem to be making some great prog-metal. I've only heard three songs so far but I will track down more.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
Sufjan Stevens

Seen him in concert. Twice. [Razz]

I don't know many music groups that most people haven't heard of. I'll ask my sister.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I also like Action Action. From what I hear, however, they're becoming increasingly popular.

I like how synthpop has mutated and is coming back.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
For all I know people may be very familiar with them because I live in a hole when it comes to pop culture but here are two groups i just came across.

1. Nightwish- They are a rock opera mix. FOr all those that like metal music without the screaming.

2. THe Clancy Brothers-Irish drinking songs. Great fun to listen to.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fond of:

1) Dropbox

2) Dizmas

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second "Drive by Truckers" especially the Decoration Day CD
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, solo, those Bend Sinister songs are awesome. I have got to move to Vancouver. The Toronto scene is good, but Vancouver is just something else.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Anouar Brahem
Susana Baca
Ben Neill
Horace Silver
Peace Orchestra
Samite
BT
Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
The Atoll
Propellerheads
Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet
Ghazal

Anyone who's ever heard any of those people, I'll give you a hundred doll hairs.

(dang, that joke works so much better when it's not written down.)

[edit: Just for the record, I didn't solely select these people for their obscurity, although they do work well for that. They're also all on my 100% guaranteed groovy list. So if you see any of their CDs in the store, I'll stake my reputation that they're worth the money.]

[ March 24, 2006, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: Baron Samedi ]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
Los Fabulosos did that song... matador? I seem to remember it reaching some popularity a while back. Got some airplay down in Paraguay.

Oh, and to contribute: not that this is music that no one has ever heard of, but The Decemberists and Sufjan Stevens are both out of this world.

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered Gram Parsons about a month ago. Of course, I'd heard of him - who hasn't, what with how he went out at Joshua Tree and all - but I hadn't ever heard any of his music and known it was him. But I found a biography of him at the library and read it, and became intrigued by the descriptions of his music. So I went shopping and came up with a compilation CD of his two solo albums, GP and Grievous Angel, as well as a greatest hits compilation from his time with the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Amazing. A lot of his stuff sounds like straight country. But not. He had a compelling voice, and he wrote some intriguing lyrics. The duets he sang with Emmylou Harris on his solo albums...it is simply amazing how their voices blended. Their duet on "Love Hurts" on Grievous Angel may be the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. And for my money, he sings the definitive version of the Stones "Wild Horses"; that was on one of the Burritos' albums.

I read somewhere that people either "get" Parsons' music or they don't. Well, I definitely get it.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
White Hot Water Music may have played their last song as a band, everybody but one regrouped in the new band The Draft. So good.

that is all...

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
too many to name...
Ditto that. Though my recent obsession has been Mr. Lif (yeah yeah, not obscure, but his new cd is ace).
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Pinback (technically complex pop songs about life, love, and the internet)
Common Rotation (like Barenaked Ladies, but better)
Mad Caddies (take every genre of music of the last 50 years, put in a blender)
Stars (dreamy synthpop with lovely boy-girl vocals)
The Rentals (simply put, the best Moog-based band ever)
Dresden Dolls (piano-based punk cabaret)
Ozma (the Weezer soundalikes who ended up beating Weezer at their own game)
Quasi (featuring the "rocksichord" and Sleater-Kinney's drummer)
Blonde Redhead (haunting Asian-influenced indie pop)
Deathray (ludicrously catchy power pop)
Yellow Second (more ludicrously catchy power pop)
Get Him Eat Him (indie pop powered by vocoders!)

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard Blond Redhead before, but isn't it Redhead Blonde? Theya re cool, but the woman has a voice that sometimes makes my teeth ache because it's just so high and cold. I have also heard Dresden Dolls.
People need to hear DIR EN GREY. they currectly playing the FVT. They are so GOOD. They are my favourite most exciting band EVER. I love them.
There are also some other bands I like but I can't think of thier names right now. There's individuals like Veda Hille. She has this whole folk thing going on. I need to buy her cd. I heard it when I had my own radio station and it was pretty good and disturbing and had just enough blood ot make it good.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Nope, it's definitely Blonde Redhead. Both singers definitely have idiosyncratic voices, but that's part of the appeal. Their vocal timbres really add to the desolate feel of the music.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I do like the texture of their music a lot.
They had a lot of lovely guitars.
Which makes me think of Anja Garbarek because I heard her around the same time. SHe's the daughter of Jan Garbarek who played saxaphone with the Hilliard Ensemble. She has a spiffy song with a lovely guitar in it called I won't Hurt You. Her voice is high and cool. I'm trying to find more stuff with women with high nice voices and electronic instruments or guitars.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Twinky. The Canadian scene, particularly in Montreal, has some great things happening such as:
God Speed You Black Emperor!
Do Make Say Think
The Black Ox Orkestar
Non-Canadian obscure things I love:
Disrobe-Local Chicago DIY Thrash/Punk/Metal
Ferdinand Fox-Local Chicago Pop/Funk/Rock/Rap (Both have MySpace pages, check 'em out)
Mike Patton and all his fun projects like Peeping Tom and Fantomas
Random Bollywood soundtracks because the female vocals truly amaze me.

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Luet, you are my new best friend.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oingo Boingo. Easily the world's best and most versatile band.
Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ohhh, I love them. But if you think they're the most versatile, try some of Luet's bands [Wink]
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Eric Whitacre = choral
Yoko Kanno = omnivore [Wink]

'nuff said.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The Honour Recital

The Fold

The Wedding

Project 86

Disciple

Flatfoot 56

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Social Code

Armchair Cynics

(Canadian Alternative bands)

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
I do like the texture of their music a lot.
They had a lot of lovely guitars.
Which makes me think of Anja Garbarek because I heard her around the same time. SHe's the daughter of Jan Garbarek who played saxaphone with the Hilliard Ensemble. She has a spiffy song with a lovely guitar in it called I won't Hurt You. Her voice is high and cool. I'm trying to find more stuff with women with high nice voices and electronic instruments or guitars.

Jan Garbarek's daughter is making music? I like Jan. Of course, he's got about a million albums out, and if you don't find the right one you're likely to be irritated or bored to tears. But if you do find the right one, you won't know what hit you.

In fact, one of his best albums was a duet with Anouar Brahem, who I listed in my last post.

Anyway, if she's got any of her father's talent, she might just be worth checking out. Thanks for the tip. [Hat]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Gram Parsons, too. [Smile]

Things many people haven't heard of that I like... Lessee...

Dry Branch Fire Squad
Stan Rogers
Kate Wolf
John McCusker
Iris DeMent (especially her first two albums)
Niamh Parsons

There are many more I can't think of off the top of my head. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Brendan Canty and Lois Maffeo are cool. Brendan Canty used to be in Fugazi which is another band I like.
Then there is Ida. Their music makes me think small old houses with peeling paint

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
um... Keller Williams is excellent.
North Mississippi Allstars is great Southern Blues
Rocky Mountain Yonder String Band is great Bluegrass
i should hope that everyone knows Ween, they are fantastic.
G. Love and Special Sauce are excellent hip hop/blues/jazz
too many to name...

Vonk, have you seen John Hiatt with the North Mississippi All Stars?

Other bands I like that you might like:

The Avett Brothers
Donna the Buffalo
Sam Bush
The Horse Flies
The Red Stick Ramblers
Jackie Greene

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
They Might Be Giants.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Sam Roberts
On
Architecture in Helsinki
A.C. Newman
John Vanderslice
Mike Doughty

Or, see here.

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I am really into Under the Influence of Giants right now.

-pH

Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Samedi:
BT

Anyone who's ever heard any of those people, I'll give you a hundred doll hairs.

(dang, that joke works so much better when it's not written down.)

I have two BT tracks on my computer, but you can keep your hundred doll hairs.

Solo, I've seen Stars in concert. I think I need to hear them again, though. It was a bad venue and we couldn't hear well. I was unimpressed, but I doubt that was their fault.

And for something completely different, try Keali'i Reichel.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
So here's my two (3) bits:

Cosmic Dealer (dutch rock band from the 70's. only produced one album "Crystallization"; reminiscent of Jethro Tull [that's mostly because of the flute])
Flairck (aspire to combine folk music and classical pieces; essentially a string band [guitar, violin, fiddle, etc.])
Vernon Reid ("Mistaken Identity", lots of sampling and very cool guitar riffs)

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
I can never resist a music thread. Some bands that I've "discovered" in the past few of years (and I use the term loosely, as none of them are all that obscure).

I'll second both Stars and Pinback

Stars - an incredibly catchy mellow, indie/pop band.

Pinback - an indie-rock band that uses some pretty interesting guitar textures and rhythms. Reminiscent of some late 90's indie-bands like No Knife or The Casket Lottery, but a little more mellow.

Minus the Bear- a great indie-rock band with some very interesting guitar work (lot's of unique tapping) and they play around a little with time signatures.

Dredg - these guys sort of sound like a mix between Tool, U2, and Pink Floyd, with a hint of jazz. Great vocals & rhythm section and some really dynamic, effect-heavy guitar work. If you want them at their best, get "el cielo." Their newest album "Catch Without Arms" is really good too, but is a little more straight forward (less Pink Floyd and Jazz influence). warning: the vocals on the first album "leitmotif" aren't up to the standards of the other two albums, though the CD is still really good.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

quote:
Originally posted by Ben:
White Hot Water Music may have played their last song as a band, everybody but one regrouped in the new band The Draft. So good.

that is all...

I hadn't heard about this. Very cool.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

sarfa- Sounds like we have pretty similar tastes! I totally forgot to mention Minus the Bear. They played a free show at my school last year, and were even better live than they are on record- one of the tightest bands I've ever seen. And they have the best song titles ever... I will never forget the experience that was seeing "Monkey!! Knife!! Fight!!" and "Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse" performed live.

Pinback is fantastic live, as well. Their bassist is incredibly talented- he can effectively play the bassline, lead "guitar" lines, and sing simultaneously. Really jaw-dropping to watch in person.

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fond of Firewater, and I'll second someone else's Dresden Dolls rec from somewhere upthread.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

To add some more:

Rodrigo y Gabriela - A classical guitar duo from Ireland via Mexico. They play incredibly intricate stuff and do some covers including Orion by Metallica and Stairway to Heaven by Led Zep.

Explosions in the Sky - Primarily an instrumental rock band. They did the music for Friday Night Lights (The movie and at least some of the upcoming TV series). They have one album that is available for free download on their website.

The Unicorns - Another Canadian product. This band has broken up now but the album that I have is pretty solid. I would compare them to the Flaming Lips.

Joel Plaskett - Canadian indie rock/pop/country. This guy writes some great tunes that are catchy without being annoying. I especially love the songs Natural Disaster and Love This Town.

Jawbreaker - Anyone who listens to 90s punk and on should definitely know about Jawbreaker and if they don't, they should check them out. These guys made some of the best music in the genre. Very underrated.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Men Women and Children have a great disco-y song called Dance in my Blood I like a lot.
And the Exit has a song called Don't Push. Its reggae-ish

sarfa
Member # 579

- posted      Profile for sarfa   Email sarfa         Edit/Delete Post 
Tarrsk - I haven't had the opportunity to see Pinback live yet, but I did get to see Minus the Bear this year at Coachella (with Tool, Coheed & Cambria, and Bloc Party). They were great, in fact, that was the first time I had heard of them and I immediately went out and bought everything they had ever put out.
Posts: 748 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Gah, I hate Coheed. [Frown] I am also annoyed with them for confusing me as to their gender. Much like my annoyance with the new Justin Timberlake song. IT IS NOT MY FAULT YOU SOUND LIKE A GIRL, JUSTIN. Especially when you are talking about bondage and have a VERY MASCULINE sounding co-vocalist. But when I pretend you are a girl, the song is not as confusing to me. Maybe a bisexual girl, when I listen to the lyrics, but a girl.

/rant.

-pH

Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
sarfa, you went to Coachella? Oh, jealousy. I'm trying to make it out next year.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Common Rotation...very good, silly folksy stuff, with one or two very beautiful songs thrown in...and they do an awesome cover of Karma Chamaeleon. (I probably spelled that wrong) Oh, and the lead singer is Adam Busch, the guy who played Warren on "Buffy".

Shinedown - Good, old fashioned rock, with some songs a bit softer and some a bit harder. Somewhat mainstream, but there are a lot of people I know who haven't heard of them. There are a few good tracks on their first album, but the second is solid the whole way thru. And some of their acoustic tracks are their best.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Jawbreaker's Accident Prone is what I am using as framework on an essay about my Denver Experiences.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
twinky: Metric had a song play on Grey's Anatomy and I'm so obsessed with it now. One of the songs was "Police and Private" and I think another one was "Monster Hospital"
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonepowell
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for jasonepowell   Email jasonepowell         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Jawbreaker too, but I also like their emo little brother Jets to Brazil (RIP).

Other more esoteric bands I've been digging lately:

Old 97's - Alt Rock Country. Great band. Their live record is fantastic.
The Sounds - love their cd, it's a pop/punk/new wavey extravaganza. Listen to "Song With a Mission". It's a frickin' audiovirus. No joke.
Third'd for Drive By Truckers
Neko Case - on the more country side of alt-country.
Camera Obscura - another sort of new wavey dream pop group, with a fantastic singer.

Posts: 1281 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The Drive By Truckers are coming here, but on a Wednesday night, dagnabbit.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.