FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » first job ever

Author Topic: first job ever
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I've got a chance to work as a literature translator for the first time ever. It's nothing big (and I've just hit a really serious snag, but I'm saving that for later), but it's the fact that counts, isn't it? So... I'm really happy and I feel it can be a good star and I just wanted to share it with you all [Big Grin]

Anyone else has anything to say about their first job/vocation experience?

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!

My first job was at the local library, working as a page in the juvenile department. Checking books in and out, reshelving, general clean-up. And I was fairly lucky in that we didn't have parents using us as a free babysitting service and they and the kids did a decent job of cleaning up after themselves.

My favorite part was being re-exposed to so many of my own childhood favorites - and nobody thinking twice of me reading Beverly Cleary while I was at the counter!!!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I worked at a couple of summer camps as a camp counselor, but I don't think they count.

I consider my first real job this intel bidness. I couldn't make it a career, I hate having to self-censor, among other strange things. It's quite the experience though, and I don't think I'll ever regret/forget it.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
nice!

My first job was a middle school teacher. sucked big time, but it was a learning experience.

what you gonna translate?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
[Monkeys]
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Other than babysitting, my first job was working in retail. I don't think I was very good at it. [Smile] My second job was also working in retail, at a music store, and that one was more fun. I still have a residual compulsion to arrange cds in alphabetical order in music stores bins. [Smile]

Good luck with your first job! Tell us about the snag. I hope you figure a way around it. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.