FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mr. Funny is visiting CalTech tomorrow

Author Topic: Mr. Funny is visiting CalTech tomorrow
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
My younger brother is visiting colleges. Tomorrow he's going to CalTech. Anyone have suggestions on what he should do while he's there?

This afternoon my family is touring JPL. I'm so jealous.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I'd suggest a visit to The Huntington Library, Art Gallery, and Gardens. It isn't far from CalTech, over in San Marino, and it's a fascinating place - even if one isn't into museum-type places.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thaale
Member # 6800

- posted      Profile for Thaale   Email Thaale         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the most useful thing he could do from his POV is check out the various houses and their cultures to see which one he might fit into best. He’ll get a chance to do that during Rotation next fall (assuming he’s accepted and enrolls), but it never hurts to get the info early.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Super lurker.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, San Marino? The Huntington Gardens are nice, but the place is just a well-off white/Asian suburb, as far as I know. I'm not sure there's anything of particular interest in Pasadena at all, really -- all I ever went there for was to hang out at Vroman's, a local book store.

No, tell your brother to head west. The beach is amazing, even if it might be too cold to swim right now. I miss that more than I thought I could. Also, it'll give him a chance to check out UCLA -- CalTech's impossibly prestigious, but UCLA's supposed to be a lot more fun (while swinging just almost as heavy a pedigree).

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's a little shindig going on there this week, but unfortunately that means my dad is rather busy . . . OTOH, if he sticks around, I will be on campus as of 6-ish. I think I would be shot if I tried to add anyone to the guest list [Wink] , but I'm sure I could pop out during one of the more boring speakers. [Wink]

What does he want to major in?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
If he's visiting Caltech, make sure he checks out the Cobbler Factory. It is only a 5 minute drive and the peach cobbler is the best I've ever had. [Smile]

Some Caltech students put together a local restaurant guide, which your brother may want to check out.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm not sure there's anything of particular interest in Pasadena at all, really -- all I ever went there for was to hang out at Vroman's, a local book store.

[Embarrassed] Nothing interesting to do in Pasadena? There's the Pacific Asia Museum, the Norton Simon Museum of Art, and I'll second the Huntington, which not only has gorgeous gardens but an awesome library/museum as well (we have a membership.)

If you're willing to range a bit farther afield, there's the Arboretum in Arcadia, the zoo and the Gene Autry Museum of Western Heritage, both at Griffith Park (which also has a historical merry-go-round if you're into them), the Mount Wilson Observatory (although they may only be open weekends), not to even mention the stuff you can do in Burbank, Hollywood, downtown L.A., and Santa Monica...

quote:
This afternoon my family is touring JPL. I'm so jealous.
It's not that great. Really. There's a few cool things, but don't get too jealous. *went on field trips every year from about 2nd through 10th grade, plus every year her brother was in Cub Scouts, plus to the open house every year when they still held them, plus occasionally hangs out waiting for a friend who works there to get done and come to lunch or dinner* Plus, I can probably get you in if you ever come out here. [Smile] (My name went to Mars, too...)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, also, speaking of good eats, Pie 'n Burger is locally famous. Best pie around, and darned good burgers. In fact, name a kind of food you like, and I can tell you a good place to get it in Pasadena. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, um, also, your family wouldn't happen to want to come over for dinner, would they? We're only a few freeway minutes from Pasadena, and we're having corned beef and cabbage tomorrow night...

Or we could meet somewhere. Like the Huntington, or another point of interest (the Huntington would be ideal for us, since, as I said, we have a membership.)

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information. As it turns out, my family visited CalTech Monday instead of Tuesday. However, they will be hanging around Pasadena today (Tuesday). kq, if you'd like to e-mail your phone number to me, I can pass it on to my family. [my Hatrack username] at gmail.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Done. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, forgot to mention, the Norton Simon is closed Tuesdays, so they won't be able to do that today. But it's well worth seeing; how long are they staying? (Ditto the Pacific Asia Museum, actually, but that's of less broad interest, although very cool.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.