FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My life...

Author Topic: My life...
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Hatrack.

Sorry for being away so long in Lurk-Land.
Been SO incredibly busy, but I thought I'd give you a little update.

Since my Mom's death last July I've been busy with the estate and my inner mind. Turns out I'm losing my childhood home. Mom has way too much debt for me to take care of. I might be able to do it, but I would have to use all my inheritance...and that it turns out can be put to better investments.

So we have the house up for sale.

I've also been looking looking looking for a new place to live. And I finally found someplace I like last month. A neat little condo two cities over, right by the Detroit River and an awesome view (10th floor) of the river and city.

Since then it's been a whirlwind. We need to move FAST because some tax thing comes into effect against me in April if I don't own the condo by March 31st. After that my taxes would go up 20%-30%.

I close on the 29th, Wed. I'm scared out of my mind. So much money involved. I'm putting a huge down payment in to keep my monthly bills low, since I have a sucky job. But this way the condo is mine and my money is still in my sphere...I'm paying my own mortgage, not someone else’s via renting. Now I can be the landlord if I wish.

But it's going to be really tight. I'll only have 200-300 bucks for food and gas after all my bills... but I can make it work, I'll just have to be frugal till I get a second or better job....although considering Michigan's economy with the collapse of the USA's manufacturing capability I guess I'm lucky to have a job.

But I should have a few thousand left over to get a new used car and go back to college.

Salute. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Hopefully everything goes well on Wed.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*hug*

good luck with everything dear.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear that things are working out for you! [Smile] I know how hard it can be when someone so close to you dies. *hug*
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What city are you in now?

Need help moving?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on the condo. Sorry to hear about losing the house. I hope all goes well.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm moving to Wyandotte. [Smile]
Thanks Lyrhawn! You're in Royal Oak right?
I'll shoot you an email if I need some muscles.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Ah.... I'm releived... the check came in from my brokerage account... thank the gods. I was worring myself sick over that all weekend.

Off to the bank!

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck with everything! Owning your own place sounds like an exciting new adventure. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! I know how frustrating and scary it can be but home ownership is definitely worth it.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you're doing okay, Telp *hugs*
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on taking that big step - ownership is a crazy thing. I really hope it all works out for you!

Glad to hear you're doing well, though. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Telpie! I know you'll love owning your own place. [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad things are starting to come together for you. Things were pretty tight for us when we moved to a house from renting. It was scary for awhile.

Best of luck selling the house! [Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with everything, Telp. *hug*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Thanks everybody. [Smile]
I had a little hassel at the bank, they didn't want to clear my checks at first, and the signing is tomorrow morning!

But we got it worked out and I have my certified check in hand and will sign for my condo tomorrow at 10am. [Smile] Which will be a hard as hell considering I won't get to bed till like 4am. [Wink] I'll just have a shot of scotch and try and get to bed at 1am when I get home from work.

The condo is very neat.
It's small, one bedroom, only 750 square feet, but it's on the 10th (top) floor of this building right by the river. It has HUGE floor to ceiling windows that look over the river and north to Detroit.... well... I would be able to see downtown if there wasn't his big power plant in the way, but it's still a great view.

Originally my realtor thought it was 89k. But when we asked they said 79k. Still too pricy. Long story short, I talked them down to 68k. [Smile]

I'm putting 30k of my inheritance as a down payment, that way I keep my monthly bills down to something I can afford.

Its still ugly as sin. Beige carpet and old pipes and stuff...so I'll have to do some upgrades with what remains of my loot. But it will be cool. =)

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Best of Luck! Cheers!
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, telp!
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Telperion, I'm so glad to hear that you are continuing to make your way forward. Waht difficult decisions! Sounds like you're holding things together well, though.

*warm hug

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Well... just got home from work.

Now to have a snack, a drink, and try to get to bed. [Smile]

*huggles*

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to hear from you. I'm glad it's coming together. It will probably be a big relief just to have it over with, even if the situation is still somewhat scary.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It's nice to hear that things are working out for you. Thanks for keeping us updated. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the update. I've missed you!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp))) We are also in a relocation process.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 3262

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck to you, Telp! *hugs*
Posts: 2661 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I got it! [Smile]

Now let us begin the great moving!

KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad things are looking up for you Telp. Sorry you've had to have so many changes at once.

(((Telp)))

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Yaaaay! Make sure you take time to enjoy the feeling. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Congratulations on the condo. I hope your life continues to improve.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

*snuggles*
Thanks everyone.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Telpy, you are so cute!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Oh, I set up a myspace account if anyone wants to check it out:
http://www.myspace.com/karlsilvertree

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I'm moving today to my new condo!
[Big Grin]

Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, dude. Glad things are looking up. [Smile]
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Ack! I'm sorry that I just now saw this topic. I knew you were moving out of that house Telp, I just didn't know what else was going on. Anywho, If ya need anything around June time-frame I might be able to help. I'm going to be home for Father's Day weekend unless I get held up by some unforeseeable event like death. I'll be at the race on Sunday, but other than that the rest of the few days I am there is free.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's small, one bedroom, only 750 square feet
Ha, we have 750 square feet, with 2 bedrooms, 4 people and 2 cats living in it...

Congrats, though!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Telperion!

And good for you for foregoing immediate luxery to build your financial security.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Thanks guys.
And thanks Stan, I'd definatly like to hang out with you when you get into town.

Ketchupqueen, my friend who was helping me move said my condo was alot smaller than 750 2feet. A little "Republican lie" he called it. [Wink] Maybe the total area of the condo is 750, but it is probably more like 500 usuable space. Considering his condo is 800 square feet and twice the size of mine.

Anyway, we worked from 10am to midnight. 30 years of crap is ALOT of crap. It was a day of mixed emotions for me... I tried all this week and today to stay happy and excited but by the end of the day I was a nervous wreck and very sad. Kinda hit me when cleaning out a closet I found Mom's blood thinners which she had not taken. Talk about a death wish. I wonder if she really was trying to kill herself. *sigh*

Kinda weirded out...in this strange in-between state...house half empty and condo half full. Don't feel comfortable in either place. Bed is set up but I don't have any clean sheets for it...and the bed at the house is covered with misc stuff. I wish someone could spend the night.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe the total area of the condo is 750, but it is probably more like 500 usuable space.
Sounds familiar... [Wink]

It's always so emotional moving, having to give up your childhood home as an adult must make it so much more so. (((hugs))) for you, and you know, it's okay to cry when you lock up for the last time. You don't even have to tell us about it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss]

Hope all is going well.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
(((Telp))) I'd totally come crash if I were close by. I'm sending you 'hang out' vibes so you won't be lonely. We love you. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.