FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Irons

Author Topic: Irons
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
The value of a good iron is something that many people fail to grasp.

How many times have you seen those cr*ppy steel-plate irons quietly burning shirts or leaving stains from the slow corrosion of their unloved interiors? Too many for too long have used too cheap an iron! $15 from K-Mart should be the student option, not that of a well-adjusted adult!

I say that if you must iron, you should iron well and iron with the best!

Ironing can be a morning pleasure, a secret delight, a moment of zen calm - a metaphorical smoothing of the day's upcoming troubles.

Ceramic bases, that's the ticket!

I love my tefal, ceramic base iron, I really do. No burning, lots of gliding and no rusty water. It's been my guilty pleasure for the last three years. At $90 Australian (which must be at least two or even three of your US dollars) it's quite the showpiece. Bring a date home, having casually left it out prior to leaving, she would admire the quiet, manly understatement of a truely special ironing-piece. Of course, I'm long finished with dating and casual leaving-out of irons, but my partner, I'm sure, appreciates that long-ago choice and that she can leave her delicates with me, secure in the knowledge of an ironing well done.

But alas, the iron troglodytes have had their way and my poor old steamer has been carelessly dropped too many times.

Perhaps it's time to step up? Perhaps it's time to move into yet another league? Maybe those fancy, pressurised steam irons with the seperate reservoir?

That's the ticket! What heights of ironing could I achieve with one of those babies!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!
Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i prefer titanium.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
NO no no no no!!

Titanium may be incredibly strong, but it scratches *very* easily. One mis-placed manoeuvre with a tough button and it's all over for mr titanium pants.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
$90 Australian (which must be at least two or even three of your US dollars)
According to Google, "1 Australian dollars = 0.7098 U.S. dollars." [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

Why must everyone be so literal? *sigh*

[Taunt]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ironing is against my religion.

Heretic!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Washer!

Nature abhors a vacuum. And I abhor an iron. I try to avoid the ironing as much as is possible. I may have an iron deficiency.

But you go ahead and enjoy yourself. And I'm not being ironic.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

I truly feel that the all-too-common case of 'iron aversion' is caused by over exposure to irons of poor quality. It results in a less than pleasurable ironing experience (reinforced by cultural factors) and can easily be overcome by gentle treatment with a decent iron specimen....
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Troubs, I at least partially agree with you.

I've had the crappy student irons that were an incredible pain to work with. I've never heard of an iron with a ceramic base. I think my crappy student iron lasted too long... As in, it was still alive when I gave it away when I left Canada 17 years after I acquired it!

Now, we've got a cheap iron here, too, but it has teflon coating (yeah, yeah, big deal) and it does a fairly nice job. But now you have me wondering at what a ceramic base would do for me!

I won't say that I love ironing - I don't - but I DO know how to iron properly and efficiently. Now that I'm starting to do a lot more sewing, I'm ironing a lot more - it's vital to press the seams at the end of each stage. It produces a much better quality of garment. And my OCD requires that I do this... [Big Grin]

Now I'm tempted to Google ceramic irons... [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this thread was going to be about golf, which is a subject only slightly less interesting than ironing.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sergeant
Member # 8749

- posted      Profile for Sergeant   Email Sergeant         Edit/Delete Post 
I've ironed too many sets of BDUs to enjoy it. After I started making decent money in the military I started having my uniforms starched and pressed for me.

Sergeant

Posts: 278 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.