FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why are spoiled brats viewed as arrogant self loving jerks?

Author Topic: Why are spoiled brats viewed as arrogant self loving jerks?
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Hatrack can really get some mileage out of this thread. Let's all pitch in and do our best.

Personally, I think that spoiled brats are viewed as arrogant self-loving jerks because we hate to admit to ourselves that they are really the objects of our envy. I know that I have had a long-held career aspiration of being a Spoiled Princess. Maybe that makes me an arrogant self-loving jerk in your opinion. Maybe you think that my career aspirations are admirable and down to earth.

What about you? Can you admit to wanting to be a spoiled brat? And would you understand why that would make me think that you are an arrogant self-loving jerk?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I myself would LOVE to have a lot of money.

Not because I want a yaht or a fancy car or whatever. I just want enough so that I don't have to work any more than I want to.

If I was given a hefty sum of money, my quality of life would improve somewhat, but not overly much.

See, I would throw the whole sum in a bank account and live off the interest. I'm thinking I need about a hundred grand or so a year of interest to pull this off. Perhaps eighty grand if I still worked part time.

I wouldn't buy a nicer car than a new honda civic hybrid, and if I got a house it wouldn't be anything crazy. I already have as nice of a computer as I want, and there's not much else I can think of that I am dying to buy.

So any leftover money at the end of the year I would put a percentage back onto the principle to allow for cost of living increases, and give the rest to charity.

Of course that's what I would do with it without other considerations, but what actually would happen factoring in wife and kids and things is probably a different story.

Good thing I'll never have to worry about aquiring that much money [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

- posted      Profile for Reticulum           Edit/Delete Post 
You've planned this out, haven't you Xavier.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
I think Hatrack can really get some mileage out of this thread. Let's all pitch in and do our best.

Personally, I think that spoiled brats are viewed as arrogant self-loving jerks because we hate to admit to ourselves that they are really the objects of our envy. I know that I have had a long-held career aspiration of being a Spoiled Princess. Maybe that makes me an arrogant self-loving jerk in your opinion. Maybe you think that my career aspirations are admirable and down to earth.

What about you? Can you admit to wanting to be a spoiled brat? And would you understand why that would make me think that you are an arrogant self-loving jerk?

Then again, some of them are just plain arrogant and self loving jerks. Which I am decidedly NOT jealous of.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

You know, we could create an "arrogant self loving jerks" chain of threads.
Posts: 2121 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was an onanism thread. . . oh wait.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
whats so bad about being a arrogant self-loving jerk? i think i'm a pretty kick-a arrogant self-loving jerk. of course, i prefer to say "self affirmed" or "healthy self esteem" or "smartmouth." but it's pretty much the same thing. i love me. hell, who wouldn't, i rock. and my friends and i think its a friggin riot to mock each other relentlesly. other people don't quite agree sometimes, but it's cool, i'm still down with me.

spoiled brats on the other hand, god, i hate that.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

I can relate. I mock others to no avail. Which is why, as a gift, my brother got me a postcard that said: "I'm not mean, your just a sissy."
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Older brother?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Yup. How did you guess? Why?
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You've planned this out, haven't you Xavier.
Yeah, a little [Smile] . Thinking about these sorts of absurd hypotheticals can be very fun.

I figure I would need 2,000,000 dollars at the current approximate interest rate of 5%.

If I had something like 3M or more, I could easily add to my principle. If I had 10M or more, charity would be getting a very hefty sum every year.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Ha ha ha ha, charity. That's funny.
*wipes tear from eye*

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Just sounds like something my brother would say.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
the distinction for me is that I'd like to be spoiled, but not a spoiled brat.

The problem is that spoiled brats have whatever they ask for, but also work on the belief that they are entitled to that wealth.

If you were to become wealthy and follow Xavier's footsteps for example I think you would be spoiled, and somewhat the envy of others, but likely not penned as a "spoiled brat" and/or "self-loving jerk."

the key thing there is the "brat" aspect, where the having of the money makes you think of yourself as better than others and inherently deserving of special treatment/prosperity.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reticulum
Member # 8776

So, back on the American thread, I am starting a new discussion that you will love.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Thomas Mann's spoiled brat short stories. They're basically autobiographical, I think, and follow him as he lives a life of ease and interest moving from town to town all over Europe, living modestly but well, on his inheritance.

I think for a lot of people, the process of struggling to pay bills and get ahead sort of substitutes for knowing what they want out of life, what life is for, what they are here to accomplish, etc. Then if suddenly they were to not need anything, if all their physical needs should suddenly be met, then they can become aimless and dissipated, not knowing anymore what it is they are doing here. They become unhappy.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally want to have a small personal fortune so I can travel the world at will and write.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Kasie, Mann seemed really unhappy with himself and his situation. I think he felt aimless and unimportant. I hesitate to sum up his writings in a few words, but I think I can say with confidence that such a life didn't seem to bring him much happiness.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Because they are arrogant self-loving jerks. Because they say things like this:

My friend's mom might have cancer. His parents are the top doctors in his area and he is spoiled rotten and totally takes advantage of it and has his own beach apartment, gets all his trips paid for etc. No, he is not a good friend of mine but does IM me. This is his opinion of the situation:

friend (7:42:21 PM): I don't like it though... how am I supposed to intuit these things and treat people accordingly and just not be a selfish prick and ask her to make me food after she secretly comes back from chemotherapy youknow ?
me (7:42:48 PM): Well its really easy
friend (7:43:05 PM): always make myself the sandwich ?
me (7:43:26 PM): believe me
me (7:43:30 PM): priorities become easy
friend (7:44:22 PM): of course. but i'm demanding and self-centered.
friend (7:44:30 PM): and really lazy..

NO I definitely do not envy such individuals. At all. And yes, I am calling him out on it as we speak. [Mad]

Edit: Um, I realize not all spoiled people are awful, I'm just steamed at his insensitivity and my life is coincidental and this thread came up at that exact moment...

[ March 30, 2006, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Kristen ]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, all I'd have to do to have a small fortune is remember where my father hid his off-shore bank account and remember the account information. Well, nah, not a small fortune, really, but a largish one.

I wonder if it'll ever happen?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Keep guessing, you'll get it eventually.
Reticulum
Member # 8776

Hey, Tante, you aren't saying we Americans are spoiled brats are yuh? 'Cause if you don't like America, then you can get out. [Wink]
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
If I had enough money to never have to work again, I'd go back to school and never leave. I'd be an eternal student, getting one degree after another.

I'd probably take a semester off now and then to travel a bit, but that's a type of education in itself, too.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.