FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "evade" vs. "elude"

Author Topic: "evade" vs. "elude"
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm copyediting a family history that includes the line, "Sleep continued to evade the old cowboy." It sounded funny to me, so I changed "evade" to "elude." Then when I was going over my edits, the change didn't sound any better. I went and looked it up and really can't find any substantive difference between the two words.

Any feedback?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd go with elude.
Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Some usage tips:

quote:
Avoid always involves an effort to keep away from what is considered to be a source of danger or difficulty: avoiding strenuous exercise. Shun refers to deliberately keeping clear of what is unwelcome or undesirable: “Family friends … she shunned like the plague” (John Galsworthy). Eschew involves staying clear of something because to do otherwise would be unwise or morally wrong: “Eschew evil, and do good” (Book of Common Prayer). Evade implies adroit maneuvering and sometimes implies dishonesty or irresponsibility: tried to evade jury duty. To elude is to get away from artfully: eluded their pursuers.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Evade suggests, to me, the subject taking an active role. Elude can be more of a passive thing. In that sentence, I think elude is the better word.

I got images while thinking of the words. For evade, I have someone darting around to keep someone from finding them while for elude it's somone slipping behind a curtain or something and letting the person just pass on by.

edit: Also, as an adjective, elusive can describe inanimate/abstract concepts, while I think that evasive needs to modify an actor.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll probably want "elude."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks, all -- I think I had a sense that elude was more passive, somehow, and that's why I picked it, but then there were all those definitions like Dag's that define it as artful escaping!

By the way -- you're all REALLY fast!

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say "elude" for the same reasons as MrSquicky.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
'evade' sounds really really wrong to me, but that could just be my odd internal grammar.

Evade really is a verb whose subject needs to have an agentive role: X evades Y, X being an actor. 'Sleep', as the subject, doesn't really have that agentive meaning to me. It's more of an Experience.

That's my semantic justification. But my gut tells me that you should go with 'elude'

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
elude.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Either way, don't let the problem keep you awake.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Althai
Member # 9275

- posted      Profile for Althai           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of any difference between evade and elude. They seem to mean the exact same thing. And yet elude clearly seems to be the right word to use in this situation. I have no idea how to reconcile these facts...
Posts: 29 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
When I think of word usage, I think of that old adage with the words Defeat, Deduct, Defense and Detail:

"Defeat of Deduct went over Defense before Detail."

Sorry. I had to include that...

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

quote:
I can't think of any difference between evade and elude. They seem to mean the exact same thing. And yet elude clearly seems to be the right word to use in this situation. I have no idea how to reconcile these facts...
Exactly.
Irregardless
Member # 8529

- posted      Profile for Irregardless   Email Irregardless         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely go with elude. It connotes an escape.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Both connote an escape. Elude is definately more correct, though. Of course, I don't think there are really any rules. The only thing I can find is that Elude is normally a transitive verb, while evade is not often used that way.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
The two words are different. They connote two different activities, are differently spelled, and are pronounced differently. Subconciously, you know this, which is why this thread exists to begin with.

When in doubt, go to the latin. Ex, in both words is "out," and vadere bears the sense of "going or advancing," or "ludere" is "tp play." Since you are personifying Sleep, and there is already a sense of fancy in the narrative, that's why elude seems the appropriate choice.

[ April 01, 2006, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
Both connote an escape. Elude is definately more correct, though. Of course, I don't think there are really any rules. The only thing I can find is that Elude is normally a transitive verb, while evade is not often used that way.

They are both typically transitive verbs. I really don't see why there's such confusion, to be honest. Kristen explained the difference pretty succinctly, though maybe most people don't understand linguistic terms like "agentive."

When in doubt, use a dictionary:
quote:
evade

1 : to elude by dexterity or stratagem

Is sleep really capable of dexterity or stratagem?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, sleep evades me with vexing dexterity. I have to subdue the little bugger with clubs, nick@nite, and in extreme cases celebrity poker.

Other than that, I'm voting with Jon Boy and the rest.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I think slumber is more elusive than evasive.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
...I love the richness of the English language...
Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Sleep Eluded vs. Sleep Evaded
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
That googlefight is way cool! I didn't know such a thing existed.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.