FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Disney's "The Wild" to be its first animated feature -not- screened for critics...

Author Topic: Disney's "The Wild" to be its first animated feature -not- screened for critics...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...make of that what you will.

Personally, I think the current ad campaign for the film is only outdone by that ugly clip of Robin Williams as a creepy CGI penguin singing "My Way" for the film "Happy Feet".

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this film almost universally inspires the response "Didn't we already see this last year and wasn't it called Madagascar?"

Now, we can assume it is significantly different to at least have avoided copyright infringement, but the similarities are so glaring I doubt any critic would miss pointing them out.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed Madagascar quite a bit, and the animators who worked on it rock, but unfortunately this seems to be another case of Dreamworks mysteriously producing a nearly identical film and getting it to theaters first. The company that worked on The Wild, CORE, was in pre-production on this film long before Dreamworks started on Madagascar... CORE just took a heck of a long time to make it. And, from the looks of it, still didn't spend enough time on character design or story development.

However, it looks like the "zoo animals returning to the wild" story was theirs first, so they shouldn't get any crap about that. At least. [Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm not giving anyone crap about it. I'm just pointing out the zeitgeist.

And in the Entertainment Industry, perception is everything. [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

True enough! [Smile] I'm just on a little personal quest to try to convince folks that, while there may be many issues with this film, "ripping off Dreamworks" isn't' one of them. [Wink]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not necessarily a crippling situation. Antz came first, but Bug's Life was so much better that it wasn't hurt at all by the comparison.

Coming after doesn't hurt. Being lame doesn't necessarily hurt. Coming after and being lame -- that an unforgivable sin.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
It must be bad if they aren't showing it to critics. The only films that usually do that are really bad horror films and teen comedies.
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief. There ain't but barely such a thing as a Hollywood storyline that hasn't been "in production" for years and years and years; usually many many versions at many different studios both major and minor.
It's just that when one major finally greenlights shooting the storyline by contracting an expensive cast&crew, other studios' executives finally get the nerve to figure that "it must be worth the financial risk" to film their own similar "in production".
Studio execs, like closely-approximating-all execs, are sheep. Only company founders have any real vision&courage, pret' much.

[ April 03, 2006, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
estavares
Member # 7170

- posted      Profile for estavares   Email estavares         Edit/Delete Post 
What's getting me is the fact that there are a ton of these one-note-joke CGI films coming out, with this one, "Over the Hedge," the bear movie with Martin Lawrence (forget the name), the "Bug Killer" film about that kid and ants, that stupid Happy Feet film and probably ten or twenty more.

Yawn.

Posts: 325 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Antz was infinately better than A Bug's Life.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
And thats why you had to sell your soul.
Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the last animated films in which the Disney company was at least partially concerned with actual storytelling were "Mulan" and "Tarzan". I consider the former to be a quite a decent movie while the second one doesn't really hold up and is marred by the "cute animal" cliche...but least it tries to tell a story.

"Toy Story 2" was their last good CGI film as well. After that, the concepts just kept getting lamer and lamer. When I happen to catch "The Lion King" or "Mulan" I'm actually riveted to the story on a fundamental level. But with the recent crop of children's animation lately I'm merely aware that I'm watching entertainment for children.

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Really? Have you seen "Monsters Inc." "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles"? I thought they had pretty decent stories... [Wink]
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeugma, I wasn't really fond of "Finding Nemo" because the story felt a bit familiar...but, I don't really know how I could forget to mention "The Incredibles." I highly enjoyed it, especially the comicbook elements. =)
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Oh man, if you liked The Incredibles, please tell me you've seen Brad Bird's other feature animation, The Iron Giant! That's one of the greatest animated films of ALL TIME. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. :-D
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
^ agrees.

Anyone know if he's working on anything else?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Yeah, he's now in charge of Pixar's next film after Cars, about a rat living in a restaurant.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.