FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Seasonal Allergies

Author Topic: Seasonal Allergies
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, hay fever season is really starting to kick in here in Woodstock, GA. Pollen count for the Atlanta area today: 5861!! [Eek!]

I was totally surprised by that number when I heard it on the news (and then confirmed it online), because I have had mildly itchy eyes and a slight cough today, and that's IT. Woo-hoo! Am I finally developing a tolerance? I have typically had terrible, terrible allergies over the years in various parts of the world. Tree pollen, esp. oak, is my worst allergen. When I had the "prick test" one time, the doctor said "OMG, no wonder you are miserable!" when he saw the welt on the oak spot. (If anyone doesn't know what that is, it's where they put a little thing on your back that makes tiny scratches or pinpricks at even intervals on your skin, and then they paint a different allergen on each spot to determine what you react to.)

Anyway -- do you have spring allergies? Has the pollen hit your town yet?

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I have mild spring allergies. Every spring, I get puffy, itchy eyes and a runny nose that lasts for a couple of weeks. Then it's gone for the year. I never used to have it, but since being married to my very-allergic-to-all-sorts-of-pollen-and-grass husband, I appear to have sympathy allergies. I usually steal half a dozen of his Zyrtec's to make it through the season.

And yeah, we've been in full swing for a number of weeks now. I think it's actually starting to get way better.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I have mold allergies....and after I got over those, the pollen decided to show up!

Yay, nature!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think that I was having allergy problems at all this year (it was a miracle). I haven't had to take a single allergy med. That's amazing because I've had spring and summer allergies since I was a baby.

Then, I got this dry hacking cough last week and it didn't go away or even get better so, I did what all the responsible hatrackers would recommend and went to the doctor today. I'm having foul asthma problems instead of my usual rhinitis.

I'd rather have the runny nose.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I have fall allergies. I'd rather be wheezing during the start of crappy weather rather than the start of nice weather.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[The apostrophe] refuses to have anything to do with plurals however, and prefers to stay out of them entirely, as many Americans and probably quite a few Canadians could attest.
*cough* [Wink]

The pollen count only gets high enough to bother me here later in the year (late May, IIRC). But that's really ok, because I'm still dealing with the cold-weather-triggered allergies right now. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh*

Zyrtecs didn't look right.

[Wink]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*shrug* Looks fine to me. Then again, I might simply assume that it was like fish and deer. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with living in a city by the lake is that when it gets warmer, not only do my allergies to everything kick in (runny/itchy eyes, sneezing, headaches the works), but the ozone level skyrockets and I get ashmatic as well and can add wheezing/tightness of chest to my litany of spring maladies.

I'm one of the rare people who actually miss winter.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
itchy, puffy eyes *check*
runny nose *check*
dry cough *check*

Gah! Such a nuisance. I've never officially been tested but I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to grass and mold since I get symptoms both in the spring and the fall (especially when mowing the lawn, to the point where I don't do that much anymore).

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Congested and runny nose here (it's like it takes turns being one or the other) and a whopper of an allergy headache. Draaaaaggggyyy.

I normally take Zyrtec, but am looking at some homeopathic helps this year.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Tree Pollen is the worst. It affects my lungs the most. And it's disgusting when you stop and think about it. It's tree sperm.

But mold is pretty bad too. I have seasonal allergies for every season!

Huzzah for Claritin =)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vamp96
Member # 9030

- posted      Profile for Vamp96   Email Vamp96         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surviving only by taking abundant amounts of antihistamines and decongestants right now. I live in South Alabama and the pollen is very bad right now.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

OK, so I've seen Zyrtec and Claritin mentioned. What else do you all take? I've tried just about everything over the years. Anything that can possibly make you drowsy tends to knock me out cold. I was really enthusiastic about Zyrtec when it first came out, because it didn't knock me out like, say, Benadryl, and was more effective for me than Claritin or Allegra. But long-term, I noticed that it was making me drowsy and fatigued and I just couldn't handle it anymore. Now I take Alavert (another loratadine just like Claritin) when my symptoms are super-bad. It's not as effective as the "knock-me-out" drugs, but it's better than nothing, and takes the edge off the worst of the misery.

I don't really care for any of them because they all give me dry mouth and, umm, constipation. I don't use decongestants anymore either, because ultimately the side effects tend to be worse than the original problems. I use a spray called Sinus Buster for congestion, and more-frequent-than-usual showers to wash pollen out of my hair and off my skin, and a lot of eye drops (no particular brand).

Do any of you get allergy shots? I've tried it twice, about a year each time. The second time I did start to see a small improvement, but the first time around I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever.

And you know what? It's still my favorite time of year. Just love all that life bursting out all around. Although, like I said, I don't seem to be as miserable now as I was for many years. I've lost a lot of school and work time over allergies, though. (not to mention fun outdoor time)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I use the Kirkland brand (from Costco)AllerClear. The bottle says "compare to the active ingredients in Claritin" but it's way less expensive, two of my three kids can take it, and you only need one a day. Works for us but I haven't noticed the side effects you mention.

Back in the day Chlor-trimenton (sp?) used to work well for me but my kids couldn't take it and the laws wouldn't allow me to buy mine and theirs and my husbands (whatever it is that they restrict in these types of medication so we don't start meth labs). [Wink]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Uprooted, I have tried just about every allergy med out there. My problem with antihistamines is not that they make me sleepy (they do, but it's not too bad), but that they quit working after a couple days. So I can take Benadryl, Claritin, Chlortrimeton, etc. occasionally; but not on a regular basis. (As far as anyone has been able to determine, this is due to a rebound effect.)

OTOH, when I tried Flonase a few years back, it worked . . . but it made me feel like someone was sticking an ice pick into the base of my skull. Hard. [Grumble] So much for that . . . but the related Rhinocort Aqua worked for a few months (and then stopped).

If you find something, let me know!

Uprooted
Member # 8353

I should probably try Flonase, it's supposed to be good stuff. I can't remember, is that an OTC?
rivka
Member # 4859

Nope. Prescription.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Claritin doesn't do it for me. Zyrtec helps, but I also only take allergy medications when I feel like I'm going to die. I keep Flonase around too, which helps if I wake up with bad symptoms.

But overall, I try really hard not to take anything.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.