FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bridge to Terabithia behind the scenes footage!

Author Topic: Bridge to Terabithia behind the scenes footage!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
And some "Narnia 2" news to boot!
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading this book in the 4th grade, and then the following year the school banned it. I have never been able to figure out what was so horrible about it, but perhaps that's because my mind had already been warped by its subversive subject matter.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

From what I recall, the book isn't banned from some schools for subversive content so much as some feel the plot twist of the climax is too intense and upsetting for children.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt that way about the Fire Us series, but it was really good, but some of those images would have freaked me out as a kid.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really like Bridge to Terabithia at all. It was just a bad story if you ask me. I definitely wouldn't have made it the whole way through the book if it wasn't required.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Hamson:
I didn't really like Bridge to Terabithia at all. It was just a bad story if you ask me. I definitely wouldn't have made it the whole way through the book if it wasn't required.

*SPOILERS!!!!*

*nods in agreement*

I just don't see the point of the twist. Her death had no meaning or worth. Why did she have to die? Besides, her death was bland and unimaginative.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the whole freaking point of the book. It's to show a new view then have it go away and deal with his reaction.

I did like the book, but I read it with a really good teacher so that explains a lot of it.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I just don't see the point of the twist. Her death had no meaning or worth. Why did she have to die? Besides, her death was bland and unimaginative.

That was the point...that death can happen in a way that is totally random, leaving the loved ones behind shattered and scrambling to make sense.

As for your observation, judging by the obituaries, most people die in a way that's not colorful or exotic.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I never read the book, but I remember seeing the movie when I was like 8. I loved it, even though it made me sad at the end.

I may just have a warped recollection, but it still resonates with me as a good movie from my youth.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:

That was the point...that death can happen in a way that is totally random, leaving the loved ones behind shattered and scrambling to make sense.

As for your observation, judging by the obituaries, most people die in a way that's not colorful or exotic.

But you see, that is real life. The story can be said in like 4 sentences. Boy and girl have fun in made up place. He goes off somewhere. She dies. He comes back and mourns.

I don't get why such an ordinary story has received so much buzz.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

*makes a note to not have Alt as the speaker at his funeral "He was born. He lived. He died. Gonna put him in the ground now. There anything to eat in this dump?!?"* [Wink]

But seriously, most stories aimed at younger readers don't deal with senseless death, period. That's the controversy...some view that element as inappropriate for kids. Others don't.

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 9153

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip   Email CoriSCapnSkip         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I thought the book was banned because the word "bit¢hing" appeared once or twice.

I also saw the original movie and thought it was pretty good: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088853/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxxPVRlcmFiaXRoaWF8bXg9MjB8bG09NTAwfGh0bWw9MQ__;fc=2;ft=9;fm=1

I was older (than the intended age group) when I read "Bridge to Terabithia" and found it very good. I was also older when I read "On My Honor," by Marian Dane Bauer, another book with a similar theme. I remember refusing to read "A Taste of Blackberries," by Doris Buchanan Smith, when I was in the age group for which it was intended, and read it when much older, almost back-to-back with "On My Honor." I did read "Home from Far," by Jean Little, in grade school, but with great reluctance.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Bridge to Tarabithia. Still do. It chocked me up the first time I read it.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a while ago, but I thought the book was alright. If my memory serves me I thought the death was sudden and sort of caught me off guard, but it was a thought-out plot development rather than a kink in the story, as others have already said.

Speaking of banned books, isn't it depressing that books like "Brave New World" or "To Kill a Mockingbird" are challenged/banned by many institutions ( the 100 most frequently challenged books of 1990-2000 )? And isn't it sadly ironic that some copies of "Farenheit 451" were censored against the author's approval? (I think I read it in an afterward to one of the editions - if anyone has more details please let me know)

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this book. Katherine Patterson is one of my favorite writers.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if it's possible that part of the reason some here didn't like the book was because they were forced to read it. I know that when I was younger I was often resentful of having to read such and such a book when I wanted to be reading something else, and sometimes came away disliking books that, had I discovered them on my own, I would probably have liked quite a bit better.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a banned books list on the door to my classroom. The librarian even maked it with the books we have available in our library. One of my kids has made it his mission to read all the ones we have in the library at least. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MandyM:
I have a banned books list on the door to my classroom. The librarian even maked it with the books we have available in our library. One of my kids has made it his mission to read all the ones we have in the library at least. [Big Grin]

That's a great idea:)

Come to think of it yes, its probably true that I would have enjoyed the book more if I wasn't forced to read it. "The Hobbit" was also a class novel for me, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the Lord of the Rings books because I wasn't reading what caught my whim at the moment.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The school my mom teaches english at (7 and 8) celebrates Banned Book week with readings to prove that the books are ok (but still grade appropriate).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I don't think it had anything to do with that I was forced to read it Noemon. That's definitely a very plausible suggestion though. I've always wondered if Enders Game would have resonated the same with me if I was forced to read it in school like some people here say that they did.

Just last semester we had to read "Forgotten Fire", and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a very well written book.

Euripides, yeah, I have the 50th aniversary edition of Fahrenheit 451 and in the Coda he (Ray Bradbury) talks about how without his approval (and even sometimes WITH his disapproval) publishers would crunch down his books and fit them into large compelations for english classes, and how some editors had been censoring the books without his knowledge. It's a very good read if you manage to pick it up!

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 9153

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip   Email CoriSCapnSkip         Edit/Delete Post 
"There's more than one way to burn a book." Ray Bradbury, "Author's Afterword" (added in 1979), "Fahrenheit 451." The Afterword and Coda should be found in at least some editions published after 1979.
Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.