FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Gospel of Judas" surfaces after 1,700 years? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Gospel of Judas" surfaces after 1,700 years?
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious as to when Judas would have written this book . . . from the grave? He did hang himself -- and my memory seems to think it was within a day or two of "doing the deed" as it were . . .
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a misunderstanding here. Judas isn't supposed to have written the gospel, just as with the other gospels the name attached is generally not supposed to be the name of the author.

None of the scholarship is supposing this is a firsthand account by Judas, merely that this is a gnostic gospel much in line with other gnostic and non-gnostic gospels and pretty much entirely unsurprising for content (the only "surprise" is talked about in a document we've had for a long time dating back to at least 180 AD, and has been long a part of biblical theorizing). Its a very important find, academically, but doesn't necessarily have any religious import (it won't unless a church or person decides to consider it important).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
The basic concept of Judas as an important, misunderstood, and/or secretly-trusted figure is fairly old, I think...I recall reading about all manner of medieval legends in which Judas is redeemed/thanked by Jesus/etc. I don't recall details, unfortunately, only a poem based on them in which Judas is personally welcomed into heaven by Jesus. My point is, aside from the possible reappearance of belief in these legends and increasing distrust of the canonical gospels (more due to the propaganda value of "new" gospels turning up), I doubt this will have much effect.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.