FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Pay more, get less? That's entertainment

Author Topic: New column: Pay more, get less? That's entertainment
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Pay more, get less? That's entertainment

Pirates, put down your Neros and your burners! As of this week major movie studios are allowing you to legally download blockbuster movies to your computer for you to keep forever. What a breakthrough!

Of course, they cost at least as much -- probably more -- than the same movies on DVD, even though you don't get the bonus extras, inserts, or box. And there are only about 300 titles available so far. And each one will take around two hours to download. And they can't be burned to a DVD. Or put on an iPod. And you can't watch them on a television set without buying more electronic gear or running cables from your PC. And you have to use Windows Media Player to watch them. Oh, and you can't even get to the download site on a Mac. Or a Linux system. Or with Firefox. Or Netscape. Or outside of the U.S.

But apart from that, it's the hottest thing ever!

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hit the nail on the head.

ARrrrrgh!

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
bought the latest Harry Potter DVD (making sure it was widescreen) and got home to find it had no extras at all.
I noticed this too. I saw all the adds about the cool behind the sceense stuff and when I picked up my movie I couldn't find them anywhere. THen I noticed the "collector's Addition" crap. I also am confused how they charged the exact same for this version as they had the previous three when the previous three all had an extra disc of goodies.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
You're giving me the urge to dl a bad movie just to complain about how terrible it is and how glad I am I didn't pay for such a terrible thing.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
beatnix, I went back three times, trying to return that version of Harry Potter to Best Buy. I ended up just buying the "special edition" on Amazon. It only cost me about $2 more.

And this just seems to me to be a cop out for the movie moguls(s?). It's just agravating.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the movie industry seriously think this is making things worse for the piraters and better for the legal users? For me, if something is genuinely cheaper, I'll take the cut in quality if I need to be stingy. And if something is genuinely better, I'll dish out the dough if I have it. I will not, however, dish out the dough for something that is ... annoying.
All I can figure is that someone somewhere told the movie industry that this downloading thing was a good idea. And ya know what the great part is? He probably got paid to do it.

Arrh.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.