FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Good Friday recipes

Author Topic: Favorite Good Friday recipes
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've been reading with extreme interest the various threads containing Jewish dietary jokes and information and I was wondering how all you Catholics out there are planning for the Triduum? Anyone going to get their feet washed? Attending Stations of the Cross?

In my family, the big tradition was the tuna casserole for Good Friday. We fasted throughout the day and then my mother would make a tuna casserole, which we never ate at any other time of the year as our meal for the day. As I have never liked tuna nor the derivative casserole, this only added to the impending sense of doom as Good Friday approached. I just wondered if anyone else had some sort of Triduum/Lenten tradition. I know lots of you out there observe it (Catholics and non-Catholics alike)... what do you do?

Disclaimer - Feel free to totally ignore this post as it is late and night and I am quite bored and a bit lonely and really just needed something to think about.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I am spending the holidays with my fiance's family. They are catholic and observe no meat on Fridays during lent. Their tradition is to go to Red Lobster for dinner. I find it a bit strange. My own family is always quite subdued on Good Friday. We don't watch tv, play cards, or listen to secular music. Usually my mom would make some sort of fish dish or we would have grilled cheese and tomato soup. While I much prefer the Red Lobster food, I think I will miss the quite reflection and bit of sadness that makes Easter even sweeter.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
My aunt and uncle are driving to Chicago to stay with his parents over Easter and they are spending Thursday night with me en route. So we're going out for breadfast to IHOP on Good Friday morning before they head on to Chicago. No meat, but even so, not really what I would expect to be doing on Good Friday. But they've never visited me before, in fact, they'll be my first family visitors besides my parents, so I don't really feel guilty. Besides, I've had a really rough month, and I'm not feeling too religious. More of an irrational betrayed feeling of "why me God". I don't know what I'll do after they leave.

My mother reminds me about every 48 hours to look at the church bulletin and come up with some Good Friday ideas. I haven't done that yet. OTOH, I have Friday off, so I have plenty of time to look.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

Around here we have a VERY subdued Good Friday... no talking (starting after supper on Holy Thursday) until after mass on Sunday. It's beautiful and very reflective and nice, but very quiet.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a funeral this morning, and will probably spend the rest of the day running around like a chicken with my head cut off getting ready for the communion service tonight. We've got a dramatic reading and a series of tableaux and not everyone has rehearsed and the person who thought she had the costumes doesn't, and . . .

*chants to self* Lay participation is a good thing. Lots of participation is a good thing. Everything will be fine. We're leaving room for the Holy Spirit. </self hypnosis>

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Thursday dinner/mass/service at the church tonight.

Good Friday liturgy at 12:00 and 7:00 tomorrow with the Stations of the Cross in the afternoon. I fast generally during Fridays during Lent.

Easter Vigil starting at 8:00 Saturday. In addition to singing, I am an RCIA leader and sponsoring a candidate. This is our big night. We have 40 adults being baptised, confirmed or received into full communion. It is, I think, the most beautiful service of the year - and all of our services are pretty special.

Easter Sunday. Masses at 11:15 and 12:45. The 12:45 is a special one dedicated to Irish patriots and martyrs.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

dkw, good luck.

The Easter Vigil has always been my favorite liturgy of the year. I love listening to all of the readings and following the whole story as it is laid out. I think it's absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately we don't have RCIA here so there won't be any of the excitement of admitting new members to the church.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Old St.Pat's Vigil liturgy is breathtaking. I very much recommend it if you are ever in Chicago over Easter.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, the service will be wonderful?

My church does a Pedalavium service on Maundy Thursday, with a Passover Sedar between services where the 5th graders take first communion. Om Good Friday there is a very somber, reflective service.

But I will be working all the services this year. [Frown] Can you beleive I'm actually hoping we don't get kids at leats once?

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and far as recipes- the sandwiches I'm bringing for the kids and I to eat.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Cruci-Fixin's
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel much better now. Costumes are handed out, tableaux people have rehearsed (seperately from reader people, but you can't have everything, I walked them through their cues), all I have left is to get out the big handbell. And I've got 40 minutes before the service starts!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.