FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What would you do with $224 Million? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What would you do with $224 Million?
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay: If I ever come into $224 million dollars, I will certainly let you know.

[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy a van, install a bed, and pick up a job or two by the California beach -- probably as a waiter. Then I'd put one million in the bank, and live off the interest.

The rest of it, I don't really have a use for.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Hire the Russians for a double-Moon shot, which oughtta boost enough equiment to start the first permanent colony.
Might die of course, but then it'll be worth the fun of watching the IRS try to enforce,
"There are two things in life that are inevitable: death, and taxes."

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy my mother that Roles-Royce or Bentley or whatever it is that she's always wanted, and someone to drive her everywhere. And a holiday home somewhere tropical, and maybe a small, cosy Scottish castle. And some land in which she could design and build a public garden. Get my Dad to take a break from working so hard, now that money will not be an issue. Buy him every single guitar he's ever taken a passing liking to.

See the whole world. All of it. Even the grotty bits.

Once I've seen the world, I'll pick the bit of it I like the best, buy some land there and build myself my dream house, with balconies and a wrap-around porch with rocking chairs. Write novels. Adopt a bunch of kids. Start a school where children get to be people, not numbers on a league table.

Help my friends to start up the theatre companies, academies, internet search engines, nature sanctuaries etc that they've always wanted to run. Give a load of money to my wonderful secondary school so that they can finally bulldoze those trailers and afford paper and paint.

Give money to build wells in Africa, because people should have clean water. Give money to Medicines sans Frontiers and the Red Cross. Build an amazing hospice or two, where everyone gets everything they want (piano players, cinemas, silent relaxation rooms, beauty treatments etc) to be as comfortable and happy as possible in their last little while.

Try to sort out some parenting classes in the area where I used to work, so that people don't beat up and swear at their kids in the street anymore. Start some apprenticeship schemes.

Make sure my kids will have enough so that they never have to worry about money, but not enough so that they can afford to have private jets or become Paris Hilton.

The End.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Pay off the house and my wife's student loans; do the same for all my friends and family.

Generously pad our retirement fund and the college fund for my daughter, and create a similar fund for a hypothetical second child.

Vanity publish a novel and get a good advertising group to market it for me. (If my writing is halfway decent, I ought to be able to get something published through the standard channels after that.)

Fund a couple of good charity clinics with good endowments. Ditto at least one scholarship.

After that, I mostly just want to travel Asia and Europe and relax.

Oh, and I'm getting the best computer Alienware can manufacture.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with twinky's idea. note: I did not read the rest yet. Invest. In my case, invest more. First: 10 percent to charity. The rest: At least 1/2 of it would go into investments of some kind. I would take the other 1/2 and well, spend it as I want. Why not? I would get my Chevy truck where I want it to be. An' then start work on the '32 Ford Roadster. I would get the motorcycle I want and get one for my GF as well. I would also probably be ousted from the military, so I would use the opportunity to get a college education full time, vice part time (I would use my GI Bill benefits and College Fund that I signed on my contract for that). Buy my parents' house, even tho I am going to anyway in time. An' then I would build a bigger house than the 460 sqft place I am buying on the same land.

Wow, it's quite a bit, but really not too much. A few material items, but they are things that have a meaning. I love my old chevy truck and I always wanted to have one of those ZZ Top ish kind of cars. Motorcycles...Y'know, it's just the time you can spend while on a ride. An't the house thing...if you ever get a chance to hear her talk about how many kids she wants [Eek!] . We have to get a bigger house. As it is I am going to spend most of my summer putting a couple additions onto the place.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
So there's no other paranoid misers in the bunch? That's sad.

Hoard. Hoard it all and go crazy. Get lots of cats and then leave it to them when I die of worms from never cleaning up the cat crap.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.