FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Solubility of Peeps (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Solubility of Peeps
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Kosher Easter candy???
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, baby. Pour that melted chocolate all over my body. [Wink]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
*bites tongue

There are questions, and there are questions. And then there are questions about what counts as meat, dairy, or parve which will remain unasked.

*prim look

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Once more, The Claw has been rendered speechless!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by romanylass:
Are Peeps kosher?

No.
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Kosher Easter candy???

There's lots of that. Just not Peeps.

And I don't know what CT is talking about. O:)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Kosher Easter candy???

There's lots of that. Just not Peeps.
QUOTE]

Kosher Easter Candy is just wrong.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If there were something actually religious about Easter candy, I might agree with you.

But ASFAIK, there is nothing particularly spiritual about a Reese's peanut butter egg, or pastel M&Ms.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
What makes peeps non-kosher? I suppose the gelatin would be one reason. Any others?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Processed food-stuffs are non-kosher until proven otherwise. [Wink]

I have no idea whether there is a specific ingredient (other than the gelatin, which surely isn't kosher but could be replaced with gelatin from a kosher source) that is a problem.

pH
Member # 1350

They have kosher coconut-covered marshmallows!

-pH

rivka
Member # 4859

Yup.

However . . . there are several brands of such which claim to be kosher and are not.

(Kosher gelatin has a long and complicated past in the U.S.)

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
That's horrible. I am assuming, cynically, that the erroneous claim is made in order to either increase sales or justify a higher price, without making the necessary changes to be worth of that place?

[Mad]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I think I'm going to try putting the rest of my Peeps in the freezer with the hollow chocolate rabbits. Because hollow chocolate rabbits are tastiest when frozen.

-pH

The burrying instinct. Your more animal than man.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
That's horrible. I am assuming, cynically, that the erroneous claim is made in order to either increase sales or justify a higher price, without making the necessary changes to be worth of that place?

[Mad]

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. The company (-ies?) in question have been claiming their 'mallows are kosher for years (about 20, I think), and ignoring objections for that entire time. Despite the fact that the "rabbi" who "supervises" them died some 8-10 years ago . . .

Anyway, it does boil down to what you said, more or less. From my perspective, anyway.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Better yet, we should drown you in melted chocolate!!
That's just throwing good chocolate after bad!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Tonight's experiment: can Easter candy prevent hangovers? Tune in tomorrow to find out!

-pH

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Tonight's experiment: can Easter candy prevent hangovers? Tune in tomorrow to find out!

-pH

Nope. Tried it on holloween, you get the regular hang-over, plus the chocolate hangover with constipation and bloating. It isn't pretty. Drink water.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Every year at work, we get some Easter candy in (gifts and such from colleagues and patients). Much of it is kosher. Peeps are not (the gelatin is the culprit). Last year (or was it the year before? Oh, whatever). Someone gave us this massive 2-pound milk chocolate cross. Which happened to have a respectable heckscher (kosher certification) on the package. The chocolate was made by a company that has kosher supervision and certification in their chocolate factory, and since they were using the same ingredients and equipment, their seasonal lines did, too.

Someone took a knife and broke off the top bit of the cross (presumably to consume under the desk. Even the top bit of the cross was a massive hunk of chocolate). It was very "Brave New World"-ish.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by pH:

-pH

Nope. Tried it on holloween, you get the regular hang-over, plus the chocolate hangover with constipation and bloating. It isn't pretty. Drink water.
I didn't have a problem...but I also only had two drinks last night, since I spent most of the time talking shop, and you know, I already have enough of a problem with people taking me seriously when I'm in a miniskirt.

-pH

human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I already have enough of a problem with people taking me seriously when I'm in a miniskirt.
I assume you mean you had too much attention right? How can one ignore a tall girl in a miniskirt?

I once received a basketfull of peeps. After eating a few, I had an uncontrollable urge to boil them. It was so satisfying.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

In oil?
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember a post about a Peeps joust-a-thon. I can't remember, though, and I'm too lazy to look...(waits for someone else to do all the work [Big Grin] )
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Deep fried Peeps?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Why not? They have deep-fried candy bars.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Do you coat them with batter first, or crumbs or just plunk 'em in nude?
rivka
Member # 4859

The Peeps? Or the candy bars?

I don't deep-fry either, but all the recipes I've seen for deep-fried candy bars have a batter-coating. The better to contain the molten chocolate and nougat, I assume.

human_2.0
Member # 6006

I can't remember if I had to add something to get them going, or if I just turned the heat up. Mua ha ha ha ha! [Evil Laugh]

It was cold blooded peepocide.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

So you just stuck 'em in a pot and plopped it on a flame? Wouldn't they burn, rather than boil?
human_2.0
Member # 6006

I can't remember if I had to dilute them or not. I was actually pretty disapointed. It kinda just turned into a liquidy syrup. I might've started pouring salt/sugar/baking power/whatever in it to try and liven it up because I do remember it eventually being all bubbly.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

It sounds like a Peep show.

<quickly ducks out of thread before the rotten tomatoes start flying>

rivka
Member # 4859

*flings melted Peeps in pursuit*
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen deep-fried candy bars at the state fair. They're dipped in corn-dog batter.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Deep-fried candy bar recipe
Deep-fried Peeps (looks like no batter was used)
Deep-fried Twinkies (with Peep option)

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
I didn't have a problem...but I also only had two drinks last night, since I spent most of the time talking shop, and you know, I already have enough of a problem with people taking me seriously when I'm in a miniskirt.

-pH

Lord, why do you mock me so?

[Cry] [Razz] [Wink]

Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
And finally I discover the science project I should have done instead of killing those plants in high school....
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

quote:
Deep-fried Peeps
[Confused] [Frown] [Angst]

I think I'm going to be sick...

rivka
Member # 4859

Hey, YOU brought it up.
human_2.0
Member # 6006

I was melting them for the pleasure of seeing them disintegrate! Not to EAT them.... [Razz]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

sure that's your story now... is that a PEEP I smell on your breath!!!!!

*throws down gauntlet*

human_2.0
Member # 6006

I haven't eaten peeps in YEARS! [Big Grin] Cadburry eggs though...

However, at work today, some one brought in fruit pies, something like 80% saturated fat. I mentioned "deep fried peeps", and he threw back "peeps dipped in chocolate and covered with nuts".

What is this world coming to???

Orincoro
Member # 8854

Nothing says: "i'm trying to kill you" like a nice big fruit pie... [Evil]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

...in the face.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
quote:
Better yet, we should drown you in melted chocolate!!
That's just throwing good chocolate after bad!
I never said we should drown her in good chocolate.
pH
Member # 1350

Can you throw in some whipped cream?

-pH

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Certainly not! The point of this is to get lots of melted chocolate in your mouth before you die miserably.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.