FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alistair, how many ways do I love thee?

Author Topic: Alistair, how many ways do I love thee?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Cute retro British name
2. So engaging with your sweet, authentic seriousness on BBC's Cash in the Attic
3. Quite unmistakably gay in the most charmingly unaffected way [which is important for this happily married woman, especially given that I can grin madly at your hokey CitA puns without putting my husband to shame]
4. Recently converted to Buddhism after sincere searching, great essays on it
5. Read English Lit at Cambridge, taught in various countries, well-written and insightful blog
6. Way-cool website design
7. All-around neato guy, from what I can see.

Cheers to you, A.A. I will be your 687th bestest fan. [Big Grin]

[ April 24, 2006, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

From his essay, Why Meditate?:
quote:

And you can now see - as if lit up on an anatomical model at the Science Museum - how each of these mental images - the interview room, Eric, the luxury home, failure - sparks off tension or a thrill in the body. How each one feels different. And how added up they all add up to a blanketing mood, to that opaque mass of thought that was blocking out the sights and the smells of the tube when time stopped.

And as you swing in awareness around your self immobile in the door of the train, you smile and grow immensely fond of the patchwork of things, feelings and thoughts that constituted you at that moment. ...

[ April 24, 2006, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
This is terrifying. [ROFL]

Also - America imports Cash in the Attic? I did not know that.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Our cable package picks up "BBC America," which is -- I think -- a version of BBC geared toward the US audience. It does a run of Cash in the Attic in the mornings, and I watch it while my sweetie sips his coffee and I get my paperwork together.

It's everything I like about Antiques Roadshow without all the stuff I don't -- that is, lots of interesting old, well-worn stuff with good stories, but you are rooting for the owners to get good prices (and they all seem like such nice people with sweet intent), rather than kinda hoping to see them get smacked down by the sneery appraisers. Plus, this show is more about the people and less about the appraisers or the prices.

And then there is Alistair. Tell me, am I being terribly pop-culture about this crush? Is Alistair-fanninity kinda goofy in Great Britain?

(It's okay. You can be frank. [Smile] I just get the giggles when he flashes that cheeky grin and lets loose with one of his horrific puns -- "Well, now we'll have to see if the stuffed penguin mounted on horsehair can take flight with this lot of bidders!" *ha, ha, ha [Wink] )

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds delightful! Almost you make me want to get a tv.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a crush on David Attenborough.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.