FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Desktop Calendar

Author Topic: Desktop Calendar
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed that I check my calendar frequently during the day. I am sick of double-clicking the time to bring up my calendar.

I would like a calendar that is embedded on my desktop. I know webshots does this, but every system I have ever seen with webshots on it was either bogged down or had system problems.

I don't trust the calendars I am finding on google because I am scared of the webshpots effect. Can anyone reccommend a desktop calendar you are using?

It doesn't need to be fancy--just free. Thanks!

Maybe I can use a widget?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Mac, PC, Linux or other?
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Since he's talking about widgets, I would assume he has a Mac.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I always use my Outlook calendar because I can access it from my home computer as well, but that requires at least as much clicking around.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Nope, it is a pc with XP professional on it. I was thinking of using Yahoo's widget engine, but I think I would rather use a small program that someone I trust has had luck with.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. Sorry. I was under the impression that widgets were a Mac thing exclusively.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I never even see my desktop -- I always have so many windows open -- so a desktop calendar I don't think would be helpful if you are working at your PC alot. Because choosing "show desktop" is almost as much trouble as double clicking the clock.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

I was actually looking for the same thing not long ago, and there were several options available from www.download.com that would incorporate directly into your desktop. I tried almost all of them, and they all function very similarly, and I didn't notice a significant drop in system resources from having them run constantly, so it's mostly a matter of features and aesthetics.

What I discovered, though, is that it's just as much of a pain to minimize all your windows to see a calendar as it is to double click the windows time.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if you unlock the taskbar and drag it up to 2 rows, it'll put the date in under the time automatically.

{does this mean I just taught lem something about Windows? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Taunt] [Laugh] }

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
Windows keyboard shortcut to minimize all windows/display desktop: Windows Key+D
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
You know, if you unlock the taskbar and drag it up to 2 rows, it'll put the date in under the time automatically.
Mine doesn't; it just creates a whole lotta gray! [Taunt]
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
quote:
Mine doesn't; it just creates a whole lotta gray! [Taunt]
That's also assuming you have a taskbar. ^_^

</geekout>

lem
Member # 6914

Ah Crap, the Baron was right! [Grumble] I tested it on my 2000 machine, but on the XP machine it shows the date.

Bah! I like as much visible screen as possible, so a double taskbar is not worth it to me. Plus I want to see a calender, not just the date.

I decided I like the yahoo widgets.

human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Yahoo widgets comes from Konfabulator, which use to be on the Mac WAY before Apple photocopied it as "Dashboard".
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like as much visible screen as possible, so a double taskbar is not worth it to me.
Autohide the taskbar. Make it two rows wide. Ta-da.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princesska
Member # 8954

- posted      Profile for Princesska           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just did that. And as I have Windows XP, it worked. Sweet!
Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.