FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My most beloved posession is dying, please help! (My LCD Monitor)

Author Topic: My most beloved posession is dying, please help! (My LCD Monitor)
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm typing this on Niki's new laaptop, since my monitor for my desktop is not working [Frown] .

Its a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 191TPlus.

Here's what happens, you turn it on, it displays the image on the screen for somewhere in the range of half a second to two seconds, then it either flickers and the display dies, or it fades and dies. At first it would stay on for five seconds or so, flickering a few times, then dying, but now when I turn it on it dies in under a second.

I thought it was related to the connection to my computer, but I hooked it up to this laptop, and it does the exact same thing.

It seems as though the screen is losing power for some reason, though I would have no idea why. But if you turn it off, then turn it back on, it shows the screen briefly.

I have no idea what the next step is, and while I have been trying to google for those who've had similar experiences, so far I've had no luck. Its been two years since I got it, so I would imagine the warranty has run out (assuming it came with a one year warranty).

This couldn't have come at a worse time, since if the monitor is toast, I don't have the money to replace it. My company recently lost its last client, and there's a very good chance I will be laid off soon. Even a cheap CRT monitor would probably be a poor purchase, as we are trying to save money for what may be hard times ahead.

It sucks, that monitor is the one thing I've ever splurged on in my whole life. Its really served me well these past two years.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? I know its probably a stretch, but I thought I would ask the hatrack tech people.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You might find something on this page interesting:

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/sea/jsp/faqs/faqs_view.jsp?PG_ID=1&AT_ID=5648&PROD_SUB_ID=28&PROD_ID=133

Specifically, you should be within warranty, covering both parts and labor. Time to call tech support [Smile] (actually, Samsung seems to recommend you email them, which is usually better IME).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

Awesome, thanks for the link fugu! I'll have to send them an email and see what they say. I wonder if they will need proof that its less than three years old. If they do, I doubt I can provide it. We'll have to see. It does sound like the backlight could be the problem, though I'm not sure if I have the confidence for following the guides to replace the backlight and/or inverter if Samsung tech support falls through.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

I put in a ticket. When I typed in the serial number, it put the manufactured date as 09/03. So considering they didn't make it until that date, and that's within three years, that they won't be too concerned with the proof of purchase.

Who keeps those things for two and a half years? I certainly don't, though maybe I should start.

Tristan
Member # 1670

- posted      Profile for Tristan   Email Tristan         Edit/Delete Post 
I had similar issues with my HP monitor and it turned out to be a problem with the backlight. Since it was a known fault with the model, the warranty had been extended (which I found out by searching on the internet on the model number), and I managed to get it fixed with no cost to myself. I hope you'll be equally lucky.
Posts: 896 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
1-800-SAMSUNG!

They go by manufacture date...but even if you WERE over the limit by manufacture date, you could probably get the purchase date through wherever you bought it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
That's exactly what my laptop screen did last spring before it died completely. Luckily, it was still within the warranty period, so I ended up having to mail it in so the screen could be replaced. Thank goodness for warranties!
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Who keeps those things for two and a half years? I certainly don't, though maybe I should start.

I do, but that's probably because I own a business and am anal retentive about record keeping.

Not only do I keep them, but they're listed in chronological order, and I have digital copies. ^^;

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do too, in a file specifically for warantees on my electronics. It has saved me well over a thousand dollars in repair costs I might otherwise have had to pay out of pocket.

I usually staple the receipt to the warantee and write on the front what it is for and when it expires. That way when I do my annual file cleanup, I can tell at a glance what can be thrown away.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.