FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Survivor: Exile Island

Author Topic: Survivor: Exile Island
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm revealing to you my secret hang up with this show. I don't watch the whole hour (because I can't stand their bickering), but I tune in when there's about 20 minutes left in the show just to see who won the immunity idol and who gets kicked off. I've been doing this for the past 5 weeks or so. (I watched the first episode all the way through so I could pick out who to like and who to hate.)

Please save me from this. (No, don't. I'm invested now.) I just hate the guts of everyone on that island but Terry. I rejoice to find that he's won enough immunity idols that he still hasn't had to use the hidden one. I cackle maniacally when the other 5 or 6 nasty people have to squabble amongst themselves because the one decent person is immune AGAIN! HA!! I can't wait until the day when they do vote him off, he whips out the immunity idol he has hidden away and knocks off Aras. Finally. I hate Aras and his little smug looks. Those sunken-in eyes and that twitchy nervous look he has going on all the time. ARG!

I hope Terry gets into the final two. He's the only person there who's been nice enough to make anyone else look like Satan. He'll have Austin and Sally to vote for him (possibly Bruce) as well as Courtney, who was seriously shafted last night. If it comes down to Terry and Cirie or Terry and Aras, Terry's going to win. He's just GOTTA!

*breathes* Anyway, it's time to get back to work.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's something special about our country that we award a million dollar prize to the person who can last 6 weeks in a place where people already live.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

*snort* It really has nothing to do with your outdoor skillz. It has everything to do with your ability to hang upside down for as long as possible, dig holes in sand, and capture the flag!!! It also has a lot to do with your ability to stab more people in the back than anyone else. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Terry has stabbed no one in the back. His tribe was picked off one by one by the stronger, more evil, completely unlikeable tribe.

Terry has only survived by winning every single individual immunity challenge.

Terry is my Hero. GO TERRY!

Sirie isn't that bad either and, even though it hurt Terry, I loved her skillful knife play in backstabbing Shane, Courtney and Terry last night. I just wish she wasn't so froo-froo prissy. You're on Survivor. Don't be afraid to put a snail on a hook. Jeez, girl, you've been EATING that nastiness!

ElJT: People on survivor didn't grow up there. They are fish out of water. They don't have the societal support they would have had had they been born and raised there. Or maybe you were just being funny.

Narnia: You need outdoor skills too, or you'll starve to death. Like the girl in the Australia one who's hair was falling out by the end. (Then she got voted off and didn't even get the million)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
That girl, if I remember correctly, now cohosts The View. So she actually came out a lot better than the winner.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one still watching Survivor. I've been very furtive and circumspect in my watching, but every week I have to tune in just to see if this is the week that Shane really, truly cracks...
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
My hubby wants Shane voted off, but I'm enjoying watching him go one-eye-bigger-than-the-other crazy.

I wonder how the reception is on his Blackberry....

Survivor is the only reality show I watch (unless you count Drawn Together.) At least it's not American Idol

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Shane doesn't bother me as much as Aras does. His obnoxious, smug, skinny little butt is the thorn in my reality TV-addict side!

ctm, I totally know what you mean. I secretly tune in, but then blow my cover when I start yelling at the television.

ctm
Member # 6525

The thing about Shane is that every now and then he shows this really nice side, or he's surprisingly perceptive about something or someone. It makes it hard to truly hate him.

It's another story with Aras. His constant smugness drives me crazy and each week I hope he gets voted off. But he's still there with that smug little smirk...Ugh.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you think Shane is crying about next week? They already had the family video episode. Think they're having family visits?

And I hate Shane. Shane might be in trouble next week. Terry has the hidden. Aras knows that even if he gets immunity Terry is safe for another week. I think Aras and Cirie and Danielle will form a bigger bond now. Shane is the outcast now. Only one who voted for Danielle this week. So he might be out no matter what!

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I don't know about that Jay. From the looks of it, Cirie and Aras spend the whole next episode covering their a$$es and pointing the finger at one another. Cirie is the worst of the plotters IMO, which really makes her a huge threat to even Aras. He'll fight for her to the death cause she saved his bacon this week, but eventually he'll realize that she's all about herself. They all are really and Terry's been the only one that hasn't lied to people about it. It's amazing how he's managed to do so well without becoming a creep. [Smile] To me, the game should now be called "4 creeps vs. Terry: Lethal Smackdown". [Big Grin]
ctm
Member # 6525

A few weeks ago I really thought Terry was being a fool for not using the hidden idol to save Austin and Sally. Now he's looking pretty smart-- Austin and Sally won't hold it against him (probably) and as you say he hasn't lied to anyone and is playing it pretty straight. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Narnia
Member # 1071

I felt the same way ctm. That's what I liked about the tribe that got picked off. They cared about each other and Terry worked really hard to keep them there. They couldn't expect him to ultimately sacrifice himself for them and I think they admire him more for how long he's stayed. This is why I think Sally, Austin, and Bruce will all vote for Terry if he turns out to be in the final 2. I'd even be willing to bet that if it came down to Terry and Aras or Terry and Cirie, Courtney would vote for Terry. It's looking good for him if he can win two or three more challenges.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same thought last night Narnia, about the final 2. I can't imagine Courtney not voting for Terry, considering he really tried to help her out and everyone else from her own tribe really tried (and succeeded) to screw her over. Austin, Sally, and Bruce should vote for him also.

Haven't the challenges been a bit ... unfair though? Seriously, isn't Terry an ex-Air Force pilot or something? Those guys are trained to have mental and physical stamina and strength. I dunno ... just seems like Terry should win every challenge. There hasn't ever really been a question about it.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Strangelove: If it's not mental strength.. and it's not physical strength... And it's not endurance (becuase last night was endurance and willpower) what do you suggest the challenges be about?
Mindbowels
Member # 7407

- posted      Profile for Mindbowels           Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels this way about this season. It is the season of Terry vs The World and Terry is giving The World a run for its money. I think if Terry can just pull imunity this week he will have it in the bag...

Strangely, I think his biggest competition is Cirie. She has gone from being hte absolute weakest (physically and position-wise) to one of the real major players... People for the most part haven't realized it has been her stabbing them in the back which could help her in the final 2...

In any case, as long as Shane goes home soon I'll be happy.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

Strangelove, I think it seems like the challenges are stacked towards Terry because he no longer has much competition. Usually there's at least one other strong person who at least has a chance... I am surprised that Aras isn't doing better in the challenges, frankly.
Mindbowels
Member # 7407

Aras has been doing alright but doesn't have the mental discipline that Terry does.

Take the dive-and-remember challenge where everyone else were stuffing their faces. Aras was quite a bit faster than Terry but just didn't have the mental focus to remember the 8 symbols.

Or look at the obstacle course from something like 3 episodes ago, Aras started out well but when they had to dig under the bar he tried to go under too soon and ended up just getting stuck and flailing (though not as bad as Cirie...). So, while he could probably match Terry in a race or wrestling match, when you throw in the intellectual factor, he just can't compete.

The surprising thing was how poorly NASA Dan did in mental challenges...

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Tonight folks!! I have to miss the first half, which I really don't mind. Too much useless footage of all of them bickering. It gets good after the half hour.

I know it's already been shot, but I can't help sending Terry good vibes so he'll win the immunity challenge. [Smile]

Narnia
Member # 1071

I hate living on the west coast. We get everything so late.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

So are they just running a normal episode next week instead of doing a three hour, final four season finale on sunday?
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
Terry is a monster!!! I mean he seriously is putting everyone else to shame. I think it really comes down to the fact that he wants it the most. Everyone on the crazy tribe has just been over cocky about how they are in a good position. granted, aris and ciree have been playing the best mental game... danielle is actually doing well too... and she has a major advantage this next week because she knows that Terry is goign to the final 3... so of course she will make a deal with him because it can only help her... if terry is safe and he is on her side then the worse that she can do is 50-50 to move on...
Although this has not been one of the most dramatic Survivor seasons, i think that the 4 people that are there are all deserving to be there... I think I will be glad to see any of them win... but I would say my least favorite is danielle by far.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
danielle is actually doing well too... and she has a major advantage this next week because she knows that Terry is goign to the final 3... so of course she will make a deal with him because it can only help her...
Did you miss this week's episode?

Terry is pissed at Danielle for lying to his face. When dishing out the love after winning the reward challenge, even Aras got a hug from his mom(and we all know how much Terry loves Aras). He made Danielle go to Exile Island without so much as a handshake from her mom.

I don't foresee an alliance.

But if he does get over being upset at her, I think he probably has the best chance of beating her in the final 2. But at this point, it certainly looks like if he gets down to the final 2 with anyone, he'll win. Courtney and Bruce are pretty firmly on his side, and Austin and Sally are locks, I'd think.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mindbowels
Member # 7407

Last nights episode was awesome.

Terry chose exactly as he should have on the reward, it was good for Cirie to have someone back home see what camp life was like.

I think with his giving of the reward to Shane and then Shane backstabbing him, he may have Shane on his side in the jury. Terry vs Danielle would certainly be the best matchup. (for Terry, but come on, who DOESNT want Terry to win?)

I predict:
In the final four challenge, Terry wins again, gives immunity to Danielle, they vote Aras out. Cirie, Danielle, and Terry go final 3. In the final challenge, Terry wins, takes Danille, take the jury and gets the million bucks!

Mindbowels
Member # 7407

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
So are they just running a normal episode next week instead of doing a three hour, final four season finale on sunday?

Yeah, I want to know the same thing! They said finale on the 14th...
Narnia
Member # 1071

Do you guys really think Terry would be better off with Danielle in the final two? I think Terry/Aras might polarize the group a bit more, don't you?
Narnia
Member # 1071

That was so cheap, not showing us who got kicked off. From the previews, it looks like Danielle loses the fire challenge and gets kicked off.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Narnia: I thought they showed 3 of them scrambling up a wall (was that a clip from a previous show?) and that Cirie wasn't one of them.

My hubby and I completely misunderstood how the hidden immunity idol worked... We thought you could play it afterwards to protect someone... So Terry could have pulled it out to protect Danielle... but I guess that's not the case. (which also explains why Terry never pulled it out to protect his teammates earlier)

Pix

Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

- posted      Profile for Mean Old Frisco   Email Mean Old Frisco         Edit/Delete Post 
They showed a clip of Aras and Terry scrambling up the wall, but they cut off the third person, if there was one (if it wasn't a multiple-part obstacle course).

It certainly looks like Cirie moved on, though, by the size of her fire.

Now Terry has to win the final immunity challenge, because I doubt Aras or Cirie will take him in the Final 2. When it comes down to votes, I think Austin, Sally, Bruce, and Courtney are all pretty likely to vote for Terry...giving him the million.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

We thought you could play it afterwards to protect someone... So Terry could have pulled it out to protect Danielle... but I guess that's not the case. (which also explains why Terry never pulled it out to protect his teammates earlier)

I think that Terry could have handed it to Danielle and let her use it. That seemed to be what they were planning but then they just didn't do it. If that was against the rules they didn't do a very good job of showing it. I hope it gets explained better in the finale.

I don't really want anyone to win this time. Terry has not played the social game well at all and has been really dumb recently (chewing out Cirie about putting her torch in the wrong spot, whining about the rules of the challenge). Aras is flaky and can be a big jerk. Cirie is scared of leaves. Danielle coasted through the whole game.

I think Terry probably is most deserving but I will be surprised if the jury gives it to him (assuming he gets to the final two).

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

I think that to use the hidden idol, you have to have it on your person when the vote's read. If I were Terry, I wouldn't have given it to Danielle. She clearly couldn't have been trusted not to go directly to Aras and Cirie and try and vote Terry off.

Solo, looking at the jury, I think Terry has a pretty good chance of winning it. He has two former teammates on the jury--three if you count Bruce (who allied with Terry the vote before he got sick), and Courtney respects him (and even allied with him near the end) and hates the rest of her tribe for stabbing her in the back (and voting her "Most Annoying" and "Never Shuts Her Mouth").

And if he goes up against Cirie, even Shane might be pissed at her for all the lying she did to him.

solo
Member # 3148

I agree that if she had to have it on her person when the vote was read that I wouldn't have given it to her either. I just don't think that they made it clear to us that that was the rule.

I think that Terry will get Austin and Sally for sure. Maybe Bruce. Courtney only if he is against Danielle. And that is his best chance to win I think.

That tribe stuck together for so long, even though they seemed to hate each other. I think that we are seeing more cracks in their unity than really exist.

I could easily be wrong though.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I would have had something aranged so that it was in a bag between the two of them as they sat.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I’m betting a Terry Aras final two if Cirie beats Danielle in the fire (which the preview looked like Cirie’s fire was winning). Cause there is no way Cirie will beat Terry and Aras in the final immunity challenge and they won’t take her to the final two since she’d win the million for sure. Where as each of them will think they can beat the other.
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

I think he and Courtney bonded near the end, and any ties she felt to her original tribe vanished during the challenge where she was voted "annoying", "poser", and "never shuts up".
Narnia
Member # 1071

I don't think Aras would EVER be stupid enough to take Terry to the final two. He'd take Cirie cause she's stabbed enough people in the back (Courtney, Danielle, etc) to not get the vote...Though if the final two are Aras and Cirie, for whom do you think Terry, Sally and Austin will vote?
Jay
Member # 5786

If Cirie is in the final she gets every vote
Narnia
Member # 1071

How do you figure?
Narnia
Member # 1071

Oh brother. How lame.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Poor Terry....
solo
Member # 3148

That was really a boring finale. I think Aras may rank up there as one of the least memorable winners.
Narnia
Member # 1071

Did anyone else laugh like crazy when Aras fell on the rocks? *snicker* I'm terrible, I know.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Narnia: I'd lost enough interest by that point not to care. I think I spent the last hour of the show drawing on the couch with my finger. (it's sorta velvety so when you move your finger one way it's lighter and the other way and it's darker.)

Who's ready for another Survivor All-Stars? I'm ready to watch Terry kick more butt.

Pix

Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah, I don't think I'll watch Survivor anymore. (Pix, I totally know what you mean. I watched most of it on mute while I read my book, looking up often enough to know who was where and winning what challenges. )
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I wasn't bored until Danielle picked Aras over Terry... I was all gung-ho for Terry.

Then I wanted Danielle to win, despite picking Aras becuase I'm not an Aras fan. but I wasn't burning with enthusiasm over Danielle either.

I'll continue to watch Survivor. I just hope there's more likable people next time. And someone to hate. I enjoyed hating Shane this year.

(though now that it's over, I kinda miss the bipolar-just-quit-smoking-whacko guy) 0.<

Pix

Narnia
Member # 1071

I loved his ending speech, cause it's kind of how I felt too. Who would have thought that Terry would have received the Shane vote? Terry would have cleaned house if he'd made it to the final two.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

What's with the stupid numbers picked btw?

Between 1 and a million you take 500,000 and the next person takes either 499,999 or 500,001

When Aras took 4 ............. Danielle should have taken 5.

solo
Member # 3148

I said the same thing to my wife about the number choice.

I don't want another all stars anytime soon. I didn't like anyone from this season enough to want to watch them again. Terry was awesome in challenges but he wasn't very interesting.

I wonder if the Exile Island is going to be a permanent part of all future survivors or if they will try something else after this next one.

Jay
Member # 5786

That was the biggest set up for the final vote ever. There is no way Danielle could loose. What she weighs a whole 110? The guys weigh around 180 each. There’s no way that they had a chance to beat her in balancing like that. Horrible. Every other final 3 challenge has been holding onto something for as long as possible. I know they can change it up, but at least have it fair. I guess if Cirie would have been in the final 3 she would have been the first out and it could be the same argument the other way. Guess I just really wanted Terry to win since he did so good. Aras was just a big baby the whole show.
Mean Old Frisco
Member # 6666

I....agree with Jay?

Really, the entire final challenge, Danielle's platform was floating nicely, while Aras and Terry looked like they were playing in the pool at a summer barbecue.

Like in other challenges where they did things proportional to weight, Danielle's platforms should've been smaller.

An Aras/Terry finale would've been great.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.