FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Promise

Author Topic: The Promise
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The most expensive film in Chinese history is getting a U.S. release...

Looks like one can see every bit of that money onscreen, at least color and design-wise.

I may see this film just to enjoy the eye candy, though hopefully the story and acting will be good. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I read an article recently that wasn't exactly favorable. There were lots of Star Wars comparisons... [Angst]
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Details man, give me details!

(Was the acting worse than when Anakin seduced Padme' into a kiss by telling her she's not like sand?)

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Everything is compared to Star Wars now adays.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Comparisons to Star Wars are like Obi-Wan saying "Use the Force, Luke!" It may have been clever when it was first thought of, but it's a bit of a cliche by now.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see this now, I think. The style reminds me of Hero, though, which was fair at best.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I've heard it compared to "Hero", "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", and "House of Daggers".

Visually, that is.

Judging by the IMDB, opinions of the actual story content of the film are mixed.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I liked Hero, actually.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

From a short piece in the May Wired:
quote:
The Promise is indeed epic, replete with flying swordplay and crystalline imagery. Too bad the imperial palace looks like styrofoam and the stampede scene is digital bull. Couple the crude f/x with Chen's disdain for character developement and coherent story lines, and you have Star Wars without ILM.
I'll probably still see it. I never saw House of Flying Daggers, but Hero and CTHD were awesome. I'll be going to see backgrounds, set design, costumes, and the fight scenes.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Hero a lot myself, despite it's flaws. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yeah, I'll see it for the eye candy.

And possibly be pleasantly surprised by the other elements. [Smile]

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

One can only hope.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:

Everything has gotten that bad *smirk*

Sorry. [Wink]

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce Lee would be so disappointed.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oolung
Member # 8995

- posted      Profile for oolung   Email oolung         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it.

It took me a long, looong time to manage to forget.

If you want to have ANY fun of it at all, treat is as a comedy. (remember my words, especially watching the scene with bulls...)

It didn't make sense to such an unbelievable degree it actually made the last Starwars seem like a -good- movie!

(or maybe I just missed some crucial dialogues...)

Anyway, I'm waiting for your opinions! [Smile] Have fun!

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:

Everything has gotten that bad *smirk*

Sorry. [Wink]

No, it's true. It's becoming increasingly difficult to go to a cinema and see a truly good and original movie.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.