FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Warhammer 40K - Dawn of War and Warcraft 3

Author Topic: Warhammer 40K - Dawn of War and Warcraft 3
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know if any hatrackers have/play/like these games (or other Real Time Strategy). I started playing them online fairly recently, only one or two hours a day, during weekends (and one or two times during weekdays, hehehe) - so I'm not very good. If any of you like gaming online, we could do it, some day.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been considering getting Dawn of War. I used to play a lot of actual tabletop 40k, but got tired of the constant rules changes and general assjackery of many of the local players. I do enjoy a nice pointy chaos horde, though.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
"Blood for the blood god!" ;-)

Get it. Better than Starcraft, IMHO.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
I saw yesterday that Dawn of War has a new expansion on the way which will bring the playable races up to seven (Space Marines, Chaos, Eldar, Ork, Imperial Guard, Necron, Tau). Also will feature a risk-like open ended single player campaign.

I haven't played the tabletop game in a long while and I'm not too big of a fan of computer games. Leave me with my Mario Cart and Super Smash Bros. and I'm sound as a pound.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
The demos I played were enjoyable, but nothing beats the tabletop. of course that assumes you have hours upon hours of freetime to paint and assemble forces (arguably the best and most frustrating part) and then more or less full days to devote to playing...

and LSM, who ever would have thought that you played =p

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play Dawn of War a bit, but the online community was lacking at the time.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Waaagh, da Orks! I played all the board games in my time, but gave it up when I moved over here - no community for it, and anyway all my models are back in Norway. Anyway, Epic and Blood Bowl were always the best, followed by Gothic. But no computer games for me, the experience doesn't really translate, IMO.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I love Blood Bowl. Every time the sports guys in my office are talking about their fantasy football league I mutter something along the lines of it not being fantasy football if it doesn't have orks.

Does Dawn of War have chaos units for all 4 of the cults? I liked Nurgle and Tzeentch the most.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd probably recommend Dawn of War over Warcraft 3.

Haven't played either much online, so I don't know how the community is, but in my opinion Dawn of War was the more fun game.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Dawn of War unfortunately does not have that, Enigmatic. I never played the tabletop game, but many of my friends did. However I was never much into painting, or models, and the minute constant rules changing was irritating, so I never got into it. So I wouldn't necessarily recognize the cults anyway.

But in DoW, the single player campaign is 14-ish missions in which you play as a chapter of Space Marines-it's been awhile, so I forget the titles, but they were the 'Blood Ravens', I believe. You could, however, play Orks, Eldar, or Space Marines in the multiplayer skirmishes...but that still only permitted one set of Chaos.

In the expansion you get a choice between playing Orks and Chaos, or Eldar and Imperial Guard, I believe. They may be expanded there.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I liked painting, but I liked converting non-chaos models to chaos more. [Evil]

Here are some tzeentch horrors I painted which I'm kind of proud of. I have more pictures on my home computer, but I'm not at home and I don't think the others are uploaded.

--Enigmatic

Eldrad
Member # 8578

- posted      Profile for Eldrad           Edit/Delete Post 
Dawn of War version 1.4 was a fantastic game because it finally fixed a lot of the balance and gameplay issues with the original game. Unfortunately, Winter Assault absolutely ravaged that balance with the introduction of the Imperial Guard, so I'm waiting for initial reactions to the newest expansion (they released only one patch for WA which actually hurt the balance even further, and Relic effectively said the next patch would be the next expansion). I'm afraid that Relic will do the same thing they did with Winter Assault, to be perfectly honest.

I'm not sure I'd say Dawn of War is better than Starcraft, Eduardo; the games are too different to compare, really. Starcraft focuses pretty heavily on micromanagement, whereas DoW easily has combat as its selling point.

Similarly, while I would personally recommend Dawn of War over Warcraft 3, it really comes down to how much micromanagement you care to do. I'm personally pretty terrible at it, so Dawn of War was perfect for me as a real-time strategy game, but obviously there's something behind micromanagement since DoW isn't the most popular RTS.

While I love tabletop 40k, I'm not sure if I prefer it over DoW (v. 1.4, at least, pre-WA); there are some really stupid rules in 4.0, and it detracts from the experience.

Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

Unfortunatelly I never got to play much the tabletops, since here in Brazil there is no community for it.
Also, I don't play Winter Assault. As far as I know, it didn't came to Brazil yet (if I imported it, it would be too costly).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.