FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 43)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
It was ganas that gave it away.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
5) Man of La Mancha
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
8) The Fugitive
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amilia:
5) Man of La Mancha

Wow... for some reason when I was reading the quotes I skipped 5. That's one of my favorite musicals.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Hints on the final three:

2) First a successful play (based on a much MORE successful play), then a wonderful movie, if people haven't seen this they should check it out today.

14) Much of this Claire Daines movie takes place in a Thai prison.

18) A country club, a sports car dealership, lots of card playing, and learning the importance of family, honesty and integrity, all in one short summer. Plus, Matt Dillon.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead?

I've never seen it, but based on the hint...

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
14) Brokedown Palace
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead?

I've never seen it

You've gotta do something about that. Very funny movie (IMO).
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Is #18 The Flamingo Kid?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I do the next set of quotes?
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

18) is Flamingo Kid.

Usually the winner puts up the next list. I'd give Jon 24 hrs to put something up, or for him to cede the right to you. After that, I'd say it's free rein.

Itsame
Member # 9712

I cede it. I may love watching movie, but not as much as I hate making lists.

Edit: Oh, and the only reason I enjoyed Hamlet was because of David Tennant.

Tara
Member # 10030

1) -Twenty pounds now and then will amply discharge my promise to my father, you are quite right.
-Indeed. Although to say the truth, I am convinced within myself your father had no idea of your giving them money.
-They will have five hundred a year amongst them as it is –
-And what on earth could four women want with more than that? Their housekeeping will be nothing at all, they will have no carriage, no horses, hardly any servants, and will keep no company. Only conceive how comfortable they will be! (Sense and Sensibility)

2) -What if your home – what if your family – what if your dope was on fire??
-Impossible, sir. It’s in Johnson’s underpants. (Breakfast Club)

3) -Ask me anything, I’ll tell you the truth.
-Best shag you’ve ever had.
-Brittney Spears. …. Only joking. She was rubbish. (Love Actually)

4) -I have you down for several violations… speeding, resisting arrest, driving without a license, driving a stolen vehicle, possession of a stolen tree – where’s the tree?
-We planted it.
-Is this your shovel?
-No.
-Possession of a stolen shovel… (Harold and Maude)

5) –Ever been to Wisconsin?
-No.
-Well they have some of the coldest winters around, and I grew up there, near Chippewa Falls. Once when I was a kid, me and my father went ice-fishing out on Lake Wissota – ice-fishing is where you chop a hole in the –
-I know what ice-fishing is!
-Sorry…Just you look like kind of an indoor girl. Anyway, I went through some thin ice, and I’m telling ya… water that cold – like that right down there – it hits you like a thousand knives all over your body. You can’t breathe, you can’t think – at least not about anything but the pain. Which is why I’m not looking forward to jumping in after you. But like I said, I don’t see a choice. I guess I’m kinda hoping you’ll come back over the rail and get me off the hook here. (Titanic)

6) ARGG! SHE ALWAYS WINS! … Don’t pick it up. STOP PICKING IT UP!

7) –So you gonna ride shotgun with me, help me fly?
-That’s the plan.
-Think you can work out… Okay… Clearly some aptitude for the… It ain’t all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well I suppose you do, since you already know what I’m about to say.
-I do. But I like to hear you say it. (Serenity)

8) Listen, I need to get to the East Australian Current…
-Dude – you’re riding it, dude! Check it out!
(Finding Nemo)

9) Almighty Lord, word of God the father of Jesus Christ, God and Lord of all creation who gave to your holy apostle the power to tramp underfoot serpents and scorpions. Grant me, your unworthy servant, pardon for all my sins, and the power to confront this cruel demon…
(The Exorcist)

10) -You don’t understand. We charted the boat. We’re going fishing. And that’s all there is to it.
-You better quit on this. They’ll throw you in the can again, you know?
-No, they won’t. We’re nuts!
(One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)

11) Thirteen months to the day since [he] sent us on our long journey, we found ourselves looking on a familiar sight. We were home. How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when if your heart you begin to understand there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep, that have taken hold.
(Return of the King)

12) –Look, I don’t think it ought to be blasphemy, just saying ‘Jehovah’!
-You’re only making it worse for yourself!
-Worse?? How could it be worse?? Jehovah! Jehovah! Jehovah!
-I’m warning you. If you say Jehovah once more – right, who threw that? Come on, who threw it?
-She did! It was her!
-Was it you?
-Yes.
-Right!
-Well, you did say ‘Jehovah’!
-Stop it! Stop, will you?! Stop it! No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle! Do you understand? Even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they DO say ‘Jehovah’!
(Life of Brian)

13) –Why is it, would you say, that some people seem to get whatever they want in life? Everything they touch turns to gold. Whereas others can strive and strive… and have nothing. I wonder, do you believe in luck? Do you believe that some men are lucky, and some men aren’t, and there’s nothing they can do about it?
-I believe in love. Not just getting it. Giving it. I think as long as you can love somebody, whether or not they love you, then it’s worth it, and –
-That’s a good answer.
(Gosford Park)

14) Was there a dog in here just now…?
(Death a at Funeral)

15) I give myself some very good advice… but I rarely seldom follow it…and that explains the trouble that I’m always in.
(Alice in Wonderland)

16) Understanding poetry by Dr. J Evans Pritchard, PhD. To fully understand poetry, we must first be fluent with its meter, rhyme, and figures of speech, then ask two questions: 1 How artfully has the objective of the poem been rendered and 2 how important is that objective? Question 1 rates the poem’s perfection; Question 2 rates its importance. And once these questions have been answered, determining the poem’s greatness becomes a relatively simple matter. If the poem’s score for perfection is plotted on the horizontal of a graph –
(Dead Poet's Society)

17) –I’m not mad. I’m in a ****ing great mood. Despite the fact that I’m trapped in a fat suit I can’t take off, despite the fact that everyone is making fun of me behind my back, despite the fact that your little girlfriend gave me the stinkeye in art class the other day…
-Katrina’s not my girlfriend! And I doubt she was actually giving you the stinkeye. She just looks like that all the time.
(Juno)

18) –Okay, let’s just talk. I have two children. My husband is a top chef. Like that makes me something. Anyway, he works night, so…
-Do you work?
-Yes. No. Not right now. Why? How do you know to ask that? It’s okay… I can talk about it. I just… I ran a commercial design company until four months ago… When it was downsized to zip. Now I’m a full time mom. Gulp!
(Spanglish)

19) –I don’t see any point in writing a story if you’re not going to let anyone read it.
-It’s not ready yet.
-What’s it about?
-It’s about a young girl, a young and foolish girl, who sees something from her bedroom window that she doesn’t understand, but thinks she does… I probably won’t ever finish it.
-I look at you and you’re so mysterious. I’ve never been mysterious. You know what I decided tonight?
-What?
-I could never marry a man who wasn’t in the royal navy.
(Atonement)

EDIT: sorry for the delay in scoring! my internets failed.

Lyrhawn: 3
Nighthawk: 3
JonHecht: 3
Vadon: 2
Trent Destian: 2
EmpSquared: 1
Belladonna Orchid: 1
Amilia: 1
Carrie: 1
SteveRogers: 1

[ October 14, 2008, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Tara ]

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
3. Love Actually
7. Serenity.
12. Monty Python: Life of Brian

Are we doing the three guesses per hour rule?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

8) Finding Nemo
10) One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
16) Dead Poet's Society

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot, all the ones I know have been taken. Drat!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

2. Breakfast Club
11. Seriously? Nobody? LOTR
15. Alice in Wonderland

Raia
Member # 4700

Oh shoot, I knew Alice in Wonderland. I didn't place it.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Sense and Sensibility
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
17) Juno
18) Spanglish

Some seem familiar but I can't quite place them.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

9) Exorcist
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
4)Harold and Maude

Man, it's been a long time since I've seen that.

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
5. Titantic
19. Atonement

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Oh shoot, I should have known Titanic and Exorcist. I just watched Titanic on TBS (or was it TNT?) last week.
Tara
Member # 10030

quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
Oh shoot, I should have known Titanic and Exorcist. I just watched Titanic on TBS (or was it TNT?) last week.

I was watching it too...UNTIL THEY STOPPED IT AT 10 BECAUSE OF THE BASEBALL GAME. [Mad] [Mad] The ship was sinking, and then...baseball.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
13. Gosford Park.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
The ship was sinking, and then...baseball.
Well, people did complain that the movie didn't have a happy ending...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Gah, I can't believe I missed Atonement. That was a pretty telling quote.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Is #14 from Death at a Funeral?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
Or possibly is 14 from The Shaggy D.A.?
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Bump?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Another hint for the last clue? Or just have someone do another list?
Tara
Member # 10030

It's a teen comedy about summer camp.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Well *that* narrows it down... [Wink]
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by Tara:
It's a teen comedy about summer camp.

Be it proposed: Poison Ivy staring pre-Back to the Future Michael J. Fox and pre-pre-pre-Serenity Adam Baldwin is the best teen comedy about summer camp ever made.
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

Okay, so I clicked that link, and at the bottom of it it has a few different camp movies in the "recommendation" area, so I'm gonna guess the first one just to keep this going.

Wet Hot American Summer?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
New round already! Time's a wasting.

Would it be possible to declare the time a new set of movies is going up? It's tedious to go on the forums when I get home only to find that several hours have already elapsed and there is no way I can win.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

Enough of play this that a two day limit from the original posting time should be plenty. Six days is pretty nuts.
EmpSquared
Member # 10890

Alright, here's a new list. It's a few quotes shorter. Two day time limit!

Movie Quotes!
1. - I'm gonna pick me a choice woman and I'm gonna smother her in minks and choke her with diamonds. Boy, I'm gonna be happy.
2. -I've lost a shoe... have you seen it anywhere? Excuse me, missus, I've lost a shoe... like this one. It's like this one's fellow... it's sort of the exact opposite in fact of that - not an evil version but just, you know, a shoe like this... but for the other foot. Otherwise I'd have two right... Forgetting Sarah Marshall
3. -Roar! I will piss on the bones of your ancestors!
4. -There can be no understanding between the hand and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator. Metropolis
5. -Excuse me, can I just stop you there?
- Yes...?
- Oh, I don't have anything to say... I just wanted to stop you there.
Run Fatboy Run
6. -He ain't no cornball! He's my brother. And he's the master. The Last Dragon
7. -We got cocaine and coffee here. We're gonna get wired and have a big party. Beverly Hills Cop
8. -You want me to shoot the cook?
-No. I'll shoot the cook. My car's parked out back, anyway.
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
9. -If you shoot this man, you die next. Repeat. If you shoot this man, you die next. Reservoir Dogs
10. -Do know what's gonna be here? Right here? A lake. As far as the eyes can see. Hundreds of feet deep. HUNDREDS of feet deep. Did you ever look out over a lake and think of somethin' buried underneath it? Buried underneath it. Well man, that's just about as buried as you can get. Deliverance
11. -What am I gonna do with 40 subscriptions to Vibe? Office Space
12. -My name is no jest, beanpole. It's all very well to have a short name when you're twenty feet tall, but small people need large names to give them weight.
- Your actions give you weight, my friend.
Krull
13. -He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too. Lorraine, if you ever have a kid that acts that way I'll disown you. Back to the Future
14. -You could have been a tax accountant. You could have owned your own gym. You could have opened a chain of restaurants. You could've done of ten thousand things, but in the end, you chose to protect people. *You* made that decision, and I find that very, very interesting. Unbreakable
15. -They take you to a tree and hang you by your skin. Each time you scream the evil comes out of you. Sometimes, it can take three days for your evil to be spent. Pull him up. last King of Scotland
16. -I made you a painting. I call it "Celebration." It's sexual and violent. I thought you might like it. Wedding Crashers
17. -What if you can't make yourself happy?
- Then I don't know. You know what you do then you forget, you block it out... If you want to be happy don't think... if you stutter don't talk.
Kids

Trent Destian-5
JonHecht-3
Kelly-2
SteveRogers-2
Strider-1
Nighthawk-1
Lyrhawn-1

[ October 17, 2008, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: EmpSquared ]

Itsame
Member # 9712

11. Office Space
13. Back to the Future
15. Very distressing scene from Last King of Scotland

EmpSquared
Member # 10890

Yeah. There's a lot of distress in this list.

All correct, as always.

Itsame
Member # 9712

My DVD collection recently grew to over 300.
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was curled up in a ball trying not to watch that scene in the Last King of Scotland.

Alas, I know none of these definitely. Some of them sound vaguely familiar, though...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

7: Beverly Hills Cop
Itsame
Member # 9712

Admittedly, I was only able to watch the Last King of Scotland once. I really mean to watch it again, but it was just so intense...
Trent Destian
Member # 11653

- posted      Profile for Trent Destian           Edit/Delete Post 
5. Run Fatboy Run
8. Once upon a time in mexico
10.Deliverance
14.Unbreakable?

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

2- The Man with One Red Shoe? (haven't seen it, but it seems likely)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

12. Krull (I love that movie, but was unaware that anyone else had even heard of it)

And I did a lot of cringing during that last scene in Last King of Scotland, but not more so than I did when they showed the wife's dismembered body. I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I saw that. Forrest Whittaker scared the bejeezus out of me. Seriously. His wild eyed crazyness and the sheer brutality that went along with it was like combining something out of Saw with Hotel Rwanda. It's not a movie I ever plan on watching again.

Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
8. Once upon a time in Mexico
14. Unbreakable
16. Wedding Crashers
17. Kids (???)

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

9) Fight Club?
  This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  40  41  42  43  44  45  46  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.