FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 6)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think my hints should make it easier.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave in and googled. I'm not posting my findings yet, though. And major groan when I saw 15 ... because you're right, when you know which one it is, it's obvious. I even know exactly the scene just from knowing the movie.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well, it's said more than once in the movie too.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm gonna have to watch 15 tonight. [Smile] I've never seen the two animateds, so it makes sense that I didn't know them. Especially 7.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

It really is a good movie. I've got it on DVD. So is number 20, I own it too. I don't have number 7, but I've been trying to find it for awhile.

What about the other one?

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

that one I didn't google... I saw Michael Jackson and cowered in digust LOL

(googles)

No way!!! I didn't realize MJ was involved in that one.

And given the age and relatively focused target audience of #7, it may not be available on DVD yet.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, wait, wait...I just noticed the "badges" quote is attributed to Blazing Saddles. While probably technically accurate, the quote was originally in Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Not that it matters, I suppose, but just so everyone realizes it was a reference.

I just looked it up on imdb: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

Oh, and is "get out of my chair" from a Star Trek? Generations, maybe?

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
And given the age and relatively focused target audience of #7, it may not be available on DVD yet.

It is. They used to have it at Wal-Mart, but I didn't buy it.

SenojRetep:

It's Mel Brooks. What do you expect? And no, not Star Trek.

Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Spaceballs for "get out of my chair"??

I thought it might be when you said sci-fi comedy type thing, but couldn't figure out when in the movie.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Nope.

The director's last name starts with G.

Alcon
Member # 6645

Ok, not cool. I just googled 15 and guess how many different movies came up on IMDB? Five. And that's just in memorable quotes.

And yes it was used in Star Trek: The Next Generation.

quote:
Q: Jean-Luc, it's wonderful to see you again. How about a big hug?
[Puts his feet up on Picards desk]
Q: Well don't just stand there. Say something.
Capt. Picard: Get out of my chair.

If you're going to make us guess quotes, at least pick memorable ones that are unique to the movie.

(I realize others did the same thing, but that just kind of annoys me. I mean come on!)

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Where's your sense of adventure? There's no reason to whine about it. If you've seen the movie, it's memorable. If you haven't, it's not.
Alcon
Member # 6645

Its not just directed at you, but a lot of the quotes chosen for the game so far haven't exactly been quotes you'd remember. They're obscure lines that could be from just about any movie.

Perhaps we should make a rule in future to try and pick unique and memorable quotes.

At least that way we wouldn't get stuck in situations like this with no one guessing several of them.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Shall I end the round and put in what I found? I didn't want to cheat with it.

And as for the obscurity, I would think that if the quotes were too obvious, the game would go way too quickly, the same couple people would keep winning over and over, and it would all get boring too soon. I do agree that unique quotes would be appropriate, but I think there needs to be at least a little bit of a challenge.
Course, what do I know. It wasn't my game to start with.

[ May 07, 2006, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

It is a memorable line IF you've seen the movie. As noted by people who looked it up, they all remember the exact scene the line was delivered in the movie.

It's not an obscure quote. It's one of the least expected and amusing lines in the movie. So, go yell at someone else.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
For 12 I'm going to say Free Willy. Sounds like something Randolph might have said when talking about why Willy didn't eat him when he fell in the tank.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Free Willy. I haven't seen that movie in forever. Good times. *goes off to rent Free Willy... and Free Willy 2... and Free Willy 3*
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Okay, getting #15 out of the way... Twelve Monkeys
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that was what I found on Google, but to be fair, Clueless also came up. So... maybe a little more specific next time.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be unbearably rude and post a list out of turn. If people think I should remove it, please let me know and I will. I like this game but am not very good at it, so if I don't just butt in when it gets slow and post my list, I'll never get it up there, and I had a very good time putting it together. My apologies to Steve...and whoever wins his list, don't let mine stop you. And again, if people think I should remove it, just let me know and I'll do it. I'm aware that I'm being really selfish by posting it.

1. "Piracy is your only option." "What is swabbing exactly?" Sense and Sensibility

2. At least you won't forget her name. She's already forgotten it for you. (edit: see pg 7 for corrected version of this quote)

3. You spend years trying to corrupt and mislead this child, fill its head with nonsense, and still it turns out perfectly fine. Big Fish

4. What's his type? Wilting flower? Bright and bubbly? Or smoldering temptress? Moulin Rouge

5. Move along there, you! You, uh, big butt heads! Babe

6. You may be young in years, but your heart is as shriveled as an old maid's, your soul as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

7. Honey, all I'm saying is there is a reason why Sporty Spice is the only one of them without a fella. Bend It Like Beckham

8. Indeed, my lord, it is a most absolute and excellent horse. Henry V

9. You seem familiar. Have l threatened you before? Pirates of the Caribbean

10. Oh, I make it a point never to give references. A very old-fashioned idea to my mind. Mary Poppins

11. He doesn't love you. He wants to be alone with again with her. You've nothing to stay for. You've nothing to live for, really, have you? Look down there. It's easy, isn't it? Why don't you? Rebecca

12. I'm sure I don't do anything you would find exciting. I don't open beer bottles with my toes, I don't sit around and count what's left of my teeth, hey, I don't even enjoy a good tractor pull. The Cutting Edge

13. No, this is Mount Everest. You should flip on the Discovery Channel from time to time. But I guess you can't now, being dead and all. Bruce Almighty

14. Say it once and say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud.

15. They say you think morals are pictures on walls and scruples is money in Russia. Sabrina

16. No one has said "whoopsidaisies" for fifty years and even then it was only little girls with blonde ringlets. Notting Hill

17. Now the snarfblatt dates back to prehysterical times when humans used to sit around and stare at each other all day. The Little Mermaid

18. Nobody goes home. Nobody else comes through. It's just him - and me. The Terminator

19. What happened here tonight was a force of nature. Two people set out to be friends, but nature would have none of it. Nature wanted them to be more and nature's going to want that tomorrow. Win A Date With Tad Hamilton!

20. So what's more likely? That an all-powerful, mysterious God created the Universe, and decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that He simply doesn't exist at all, and that we created Him, so that we wouldn't have to feel so small and alone? Contact

Bonus: Listen to the rhythm. Don't be scared. Strictly Ballroom

[ May 09, 2006, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: jeniwren ]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

7 is Bend it Like Beckham
9 is Pirates of the Carribean

Alcon
Member # 6645

20 is Contact
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
4 is Moulin Rouge

(yay! I know one!)

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

I feel like I should know 14, 17, and 18 but I can't think of them right now.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
17= Little Mermaid. The Seagull says it when describing the fork I believe, maybe it was the pipe.

Edit the quote just played out in my head it was sick

"Now the snarflatt dates back to when people use to sit around, and stare at each other all day; got very boring. So they invented this snarflatt to make fine music, allow me! <bubbles come out of pipe>"

I don't know why I can remember that, but I can't remember a thing from high school applied physics, I enjoyed the class IMMENSILY!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
#2 == 50 first dates?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
6 - harry potter #3
13 - Bruce Almighty

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Porter, no, sorry, it's not 50 First Dates.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
10. Mary Poppins
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
5: I want to say An American Tale or Land Before Time, damn you Don Bluth! Ill keep thinking
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeniwren #1: Sense and Sensibility
Bonus: Strictly Ballroom
#12: The Cutting Edge
#15: Sabrina

It's a girl movie extravaganza! I'd like to point out that I own every one of those movies, and I own less than thirty movies total.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

[Big Grin] Kat. I was sure you'd know #1. There's at least one Guy movie in there.

BlackBlade, nope, sorry. Neither one. [Smile]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
5: Babe
8: Henry V

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly a guess... more like a hunch... is #3 Love Actually?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

THANK YOU SENOJ! I believe Babe is the correct answer.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Sorry, Jim, it's not Love Actually, though that movie could have made the list. I only used movies I have copies of and have seen at least twice.
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Is 3 Big Fish? I know I've seen it, but...
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's not big fish because I haven't seen that and I have seen the quote. Grr. this bugs me.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Vadon's right, Jim. I wonder where you saw that quote if not Big Fish.... You're sure you've not seen it? [Smile] It's from the scene where the dad is telling the son what it's like to be a father. I love that movie because of the relationships and what can happen with honest misunderstandings. And the value of a vivid imagination.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
18 = terminator
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say 14 is Trainspotting, but I've never seen it. I think I know what scene it refers to.. It was on a preview or something.. a bunch of irishmen standing around saying that the irish were the blacks of europe. So they say they're black and they're proud...

(Or did trainspotting take place in scottland? Like I said, I've never seen it.)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
is 2 50 first dates?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

I knew I'd heard 18 somewhere... damn.
Alcon
Member # 6645

So question... it was looking like Goody was going to win Steve's post. So who posts the next batch, the winner of Jeniwrens or Goody?
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Narnia, no, it's not 50 First Dates, sorry. [Smile]

Alcon, why not both?

Pix, you know the line, definitely, and it was in the trailers, but it's not Trainspotting. The movie it's from is older.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

16: Hitch (that's been bugging me for an hour)

<edit>Nope, dang it. I googled to make sure I was right and saw what the real quote was from. D'oh</edit>

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
14. Say it once and say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud. - Undercover Brother
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

jeni: can I get half a point?
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Senoj, you're right that you're wrong. [Smile] It's not Hitch.

Squick, it's not Undercover Brother.

Sure, Pix, if your elaboration of the quote helps someone else get it. [Smile] You were accurate about everything except the movie it's from.

jeniwren
Member # 2002

Hints:

#2 was inspired by the genre from which #11 came. #11 is the oldest movie on the list by far and won 2 Oscars with 9 other nominations. #2's quote was delivered by a Seinfeld regular.

Another quote from #19 is: "Congratulations. You're actually drinking, driving, smoking, leering and groping at the same time."

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.