FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The addictive power of craigslist.

Author Topic: The addictive power of craigslist.
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
First it was apartments. I hit refresh probably every five or so minutes and was inevitably disappointed when nothing interesting disappeared.

Now that I *have* an apartment, I'm doing the same thing with the furniture. (There are some seriously ugly sofas in this world.)

Anyone else suffer from this??

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Craigslist and I have a love-hate relationship that involves me browsing not only the cars, furniture, electronics and collectibles for sale, but also the job ads (even when I'm not actively looking, I'm looking on craigslist).

Also, I get the biggest kick out of the personals ads. Especially the "casual encounters" ads. We also had fun trying to decode all the euphemisms in the "erotic services" ads.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I found my dog there. I swear it was under pets and not casual encounters.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought my beautiful piano there. It was like magic. I had been thinking about poking around for a used piano for a long time. One day I had a few extra minutes at work and actually thought to check craigslist (I was a craigslist virgin). Within 10 minutes I had sent two emails and received one phone call during which I arranged to go look at one of the pianos. 24 hours later, there was a piano in my apartment. [Big Grin]

I haven't tried it with anything else, I'm afraid I'll spend all my money. It's worse than ebay because the people live close by and you don't have to pay shipping.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I haven't tried it with anything else, I'm afraid I'll spend all my money. It's worse than ebay because the people live close by and you don't have to pay shipping.
Much worse. I went through a period of craigslist swapping, wherein I would sell all the crap I didn't need (extra TVs, electronics, DVDs, etc.) and buy new ones...I was going through probably about 30-40 phone calls and hundreds upon hundreds of e-mails daily for about 6 weeks. It was so. much. fun.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that was my sofa!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you search across craigslist with a single search, or do you have to choose locations first?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to pick a city but then you can search whole categories -- for sale, jobs, housing, etc.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Feh. I'm looking for stuff that would be mailed anyway (collectable cards) and I'd really rather not have to do that many searches.

Back to eBay...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul and I found our new apartment on ebay. I just moved in on Monday and LOVE it! I am now addicted to looking for furniture and decor for the place. It really is addicting.
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom had to remove it from her favorites to keep her from checking too often.

That said, I've gotten some cool stuff and helped a few people out there too.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I have spent many long nights reading the Best Of page. I also check the jobs, for sale, and rants & raves regularly and will occasionally stop in in some of the forum areas for advice. It's really very addicting, even if you're not in the market for anything.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I found a room for the summer on it. Only $350 a month and two trainstops away from Georgia State University (where I'm doing research). They were going to charge me $700 a month for a dorm room...

I also found my job a couple of summers back on craigslist. I *heart* craigslist

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I just made my first-ever posting on Craigslist, as a first step in getting rid of some of my superfluous clutter. Hard to decide how much to ask, although there's a few items I'll be putting up for free to get someone to haul away without just tossing them. Anyway, interesting. We'll see how it goes. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm disappointed in CL lately. I've been trying to sell my snowboard there, like new, for half what I paid for it, and I get almost no hits.

People expect a $700 snowboard package for free. [Frown]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. No bites on my lamp yet, which I posted seriously, but I had two takers within 10 minutes for a crappy old canoe that I listed as ugly, heavy, and with a broken seat.

This may end up being addictive. . .

Added: Four hours in less than an hour, three of them after I marked it sale pending, specifying they want it if they first person doesn't take it. Wow. I apparently didn't ask enough.

[ May 13, 2006, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I wished I'd known about this. There was this great oak desk with dovetailed drawers and a little contoured drawer side so you flip through your files. But it wouldn't fit anywhere in our house. We took it to the thrift store, but apparently they don't do large items. They left it out in the rain for a couple of weeks and I'm sure it wound up at the dump. [Frown] I would have taken it back but once you drop it off, I think it's illegal to take anything away.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.