FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Books for free (check it out!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Books for free (check it out!)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I've already had Christy & Tom sort through my science fiction, and I've set aside a GKChesterton that was previously promised.

I don't have my complete list yet, but if anyone is interested in any of the following authors, give me a heads-up here. You can have the books for the price of postage (and if you are a starving student, I probably could be persuaded to chip in on postage, too).

Whatever doesn't find a home here will find one at Goodwill. I'll update with a more complete list this weekend, including ID on edition #s.

-----

-Tolkien
-OSC
-Laurel K Hamilton
-Margaret Atwood
-JK Rowling
-Marion Zimmer Bradley
-Octavia Butler (but Noemon would have first dibs on these)
-Sci-fi short story collections (various authors)
-Cordwainer Smith
-Vegetarian/natural foods cookbooks
-Feminist literature (e.g., Letters to Ms Magazine, hardcover copy)
-Sheri Tepper
-Walt Wangerin
-Charles DeLint

And a whole lot more that I cannot remember.

------------------

Edited to add:

-medical learning resources (first dibs to any nursing, osteopathic, or medical students)
-philosophy texts (classic references, current topics, and/or teaching materials)
-political history (mainly US, e.g., The Founding Brothers)

-various biographies
-craft books (knitting, crocheting, origami, drying flowers, etc.)
-Shakespeare/Beckett/other plays

-old paperback editions of Heinlein
-early paperback Star Trek novels
-Asimov (fiction and non-fiction)
-Lois McMaster Bujold (first dibs to Tatiana, though)
-Children's books (some classics, many recent that have to do with going to the doctor, potty-training, or other developmental steps)
-Year's Best in Fantasy and Horror (large paperbacks, 3? editions)

-some Stephen King
-lots of Gene Wolfe

[ May 05, 2006, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love the cookbooks. [Smile]

Are these repeats you're getting rid of? I never been able to give away books.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Dibs on non-Ender OSC stuff!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

erosomniac, you will have first refusal on all OSC. Same for Dagonee and the cookbooks.

I'm paring down my life to achieve a more stark simplicity, which means getting rid of scores of boxes of books. Many are already gone. I'm hoping that this will encourage me to focus more on the ones I really really really love and really want to read (or reread) -- which is limited to one small box.

The displaced energy that returns to my soul with shedding my possessions may well send me into orbit. I'm on a let-it-go high. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I'm interested in Margaret Atwood, the Sci-Fi short stories, and/or Feminist stuff. And will happily pay for shipping, in cash or chocolate.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Margaret Atwood, and any Butler Noemon refuses!
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to peruse your Tepper. I only have Grass.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a spare Maps in a Mirror I'll take it, assuming Erosomniac will let it thorugh waivers...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you have a spare Maps in a Mirror I'll take it, assuming Erosomniac will let it thorugh waivers...
Already own that one, so if she has it, I'm passing. [Smile]
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Dibs on the Charles de Lint!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

*keeping notes

[Smile]

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Adding to list:

-medical learning resources (first dibs to any nursing, osteopathic, or medical students)
-philosophy texts (classic references, current topics, and/or teaching materials)
-political history (mainly US, e.g., The Founding Brothers)

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in whatever sci fi short story collections and cookbooks that make it through waivers.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

(Noted! [Smile] )
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Ohh, do you have biographies? I'm definately interested in biographies.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dibs on any deLint that Stray doesn't want!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Yes, I'll list them out this weekend. Also craft books (knitting, crocheting, origami, drying flowers, etc.) and Shakespeare/Beckett/other plays.

Adding all this to 1st post.

---

Also, sometime in the next month I'll be clearing out a storage unit in Peoria, Illinois (don't ask [Smile] ), and there are 30+ boxes of books there. If they are still in usable condition, I'll do another iteration of this.

amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
What philosophy have you got? Any teaching materials or anything on philosophy of religion, ethics or philosophy of mind would be very cool.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

By the way, if you want to offer up either that Maureen McHugh collection or the William Sanders collection, feel free to do so without fear of hurt feelings on my part; I wanted you to have the opportunity to read them, but I understand that you're paring down.

Thanks for the offer on Butler's stuff, by the way. Virtually my entire collection of her stuff is falling apart from repeated rereading, so I could definitely use new copies of a lot of it.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
- 3rd (4th?) on any OSC
- JK Rowling - I'm missing some of those, but I have books 1, 5, 6
- Octavia Butler (after Noem, et al. [Wink] )
- Sci-fi short story collections - please!

I'd also like any books you have on knitting, crocheting, and especially origami. My daughter would love them.

And I'm MORE than happy to pay for shipping!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

( [Smile] at Noemon. I have some brand-new Butler just recently out. Titles are at home.)

amira, I have those three topics and some logic resources, too. Here are the titles for things currently in my office, mostly bioethics. Some I'll probably decide to keep, but most will go.

-Daniel Callahan -- Setting Limits, as well as The Troubled Dream of Life: In Search of a Peaceful Death
-James Rachels -- The End of Life
-Wittgenstein -- On Rules and Private Language
-Norman Daniels -- Just Health Care
-Richard Rorty -- Consequences of Pragmatism
-Ronald Dworkin -- Life's Dominion: And Argument About Abortion, Euthanasia, and Individual Freedom
Johnathon Glover -- Causing Death and Saving Lives

Textbooks/Compilations
-Taking Sides: Clashing Views on Controversial Moral Issues
-Arguing Euthanasia: The Controversy Over Mercy Killing, Assisted Suicide, and the "Right to Die"
-Cuttin' the Body Loose: Hiostorical, Biological and Personal Approaches to Death and Dying
-Marketplace Medicine: The Rise of the For-Profit Hospital Chains
-Summing Up: The Science of Reviewing Research
-The Story of Philosophy: The Lives and Opinions of the World's Greatest Philosophers
-Matter and Consciousness (ed., Churchland)
-The Experience of Philosophy (4th ed.)

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

rivka, noted.

Noemon, I'm keeping those for now. But thanks!

JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
-Margaret Atwood
-JK Rowling
-Sci-fi short story collections (various authors)
-Vegetarian/natural foods cookbooks

I haven't read any Harry Potter, but apparently I need to because all the kids read it(and the holds on them at the library are CRAZY!). I'm always interested in any sci-fi short story collections. Margaret Atwood just sounds interesting to me. I'm also always interested in vegetarian/vegan cookbooks (hopefully you have favorite recipes marked!).

I live in an intentional community so the books will be shared with others after I read them.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Fledgling, I assume? It's a very good book, although she doesn't really go beyond her other books in terms of her explorations of the common Butler ideas. I find myself wishing that she hadn't gotten writer's block with the third Parable book; I suspect that she'd have broken new ground with it. Or maybe, you know, not.

In any case, if you're offering up Fledgling it's Kasie H's if she wants it.

Taking Sides and Cuttin' the Body Loose both look like interesting reads, if you decide to part with them.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Do you happen to have any of Dozois' Year's Best anthologies? If so, and if others haven't already laid claim to them, I may be interested; I'm trying to complete my collection of them.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Noted, JonnyNotSoBravo. I donate postage costs to intentional communities, regardless. [Smile] (Part of the deal, so no backtalk.)

Noemon, I don't know for sure whether I do, but if so, they'd be in Peoria.

Adding:
-old paperback editions of Heinlein
-early paperback Star Trek novels
-Asimov (fiction and non-fiction)
-Lois McMaster Bujold (first dibs to Tatiana, though)
-Children's books (some classics, many recent that have to do with going to the doctor, potty-training, or other developmental steps)
-Year's Best in Fantasy and Horror (large paperbacks, 3? editions) <---[assuming Noemon wanted Year's Best for sci-fi]

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take anything that hasn't been spoken for, that you think my homeschool library could benefit from. Anything I can't use I'll donate to the other families in my support group.

edit: and child development stuff would be great...Boo is just getting ready to potty train...

edit2: and I LOVE Asimov...I only have Robot Dreams.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Are they edited by Dozois? If so I'd be interested in them (if others aren't), but yeah, it is his SF anthologies that I'm trying to get a complete set of.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to get ahold of some of those Asimov fiction, that would be great.

Also, I've been hearing some good things about Heinlein, so I would love an oportunity to check that out.

And, If I'm not being to greedy, if Hart's Hope is in your collection and there were an act of god and no one else wanted it, I would be willing to do some pretty gross stuff to get it.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I'll take any left over Bujold, as well as any crochet or knitting books rivka doesn't want.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I missed the bit where you said that you were going to be hanging on to the McHugh and Sanders books, CT. Glad to hear that they were interesting enough/looked like they'd be interesting enough to take with you.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mind me slightly hijacking your thread, CT, I also have a few OSC books that I have duplicates of and have been looking to unload. I'd be more than happy to give up my paperback copies of Songmaster, Memory of Earth, Call of Earth, and Homebody if anyone is interested. If there are any serious collectors out there, I also have three old analog magazines from the 70's with OSC stories in them I'd be glad to give up. (Not the one with Ender's game in it, though)
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Octavia Butler (but Noemon would have first dibs on these)
Sci-fi short story collections (various authors)
philosophy texts (classic references, current topics, and/or teaching materials)

I'll take any of those three that no one else has claimed.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, which Tolkien books do you have? I'm ready to call dibs, but I want to know...

Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll trade macadamia nuts for craft books.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in the Asimov, Heinlein, and Star Trek.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of medical texts do you have?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Was the Rowling called? I don't have 2 or three (or 4 hard cover). Hard or soft cover is fine with me, I'm just trying to collect YA and childrens lit for my future classroom.

Edit to add: Of the other authors I'm familiar with I don't think any of those books really would be appropriate (we're talking less than 6th grade here) but if they are let me know.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dibs on any Charles de Lint that Spray doesn't want and Noemon doesn't want!

Also, the Cordwainer Smith I have to call dibs on even though it's for my boyfriend and while I should be using that as an incentive for him to post more on Hatack and call it himself, I am feeling nice today.

EDIT: You live in WI? I will have a car this summer and can literally pick them or whatever I can claim from the next installment up so don't worry about postage.

[ May 04, 2006, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Kristen ]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of medical stuff do you have, CT? I do peds, ob, and neonatal. I love technical books.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I want any Asimov left over, especially his non-ficion stuff, I already have the foundation series, and I'm not particularily interested in robot series.

Now Can I have dibbs on the Worthing Saga, thats the one with that civilization type game in it right? That or Alvin maker whichever was it.

What do i have to do to get em?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in your extra Shakespeare. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested to see the philosophy, political history, definitely the plays, and also the Asimov.

Also, since I'll be back in WI shortly, I may be able to save massively on postage. Woo!

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in the philosophy, Bujold, short story sf, plays other than shakespeare, and craftbooks (knitting, origami, drying flowers)

This is awesome [Smile]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
i want free books!!!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Any of the craft books or shakespeare left, I'll take.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coatesie
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Coatesie   Email Coatesie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, the Cordwainer Smith I have to call dibs on even though it's for my boyfriend and while I should be using that as an incentive for him to post more on Hatack and call it himself, I am feeling nice today.
"She got the which of the what-she-did,
Hid the bell with a blot she did,
But she fell in love with a hominid,
Where is the which of the what-she-did?"
--From The Ballad of Lost C'mell

Yeah, you're right, I would post more on Hatrack if it meant not having to pay $2.95 for books by Cordwainer Smith! :-)

I'd ask about the collections, but I'm sure they're already spoken for and there's no guarantee I don't have them already.

The Rorty book, though, I'd be interested in. In five years of judging debate I heard people read quotations from Rorty time and again but never sat down and read the whole thing myself.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on which ones you have I'd be interested in the Laurell K Hamilton, if no one else has asked.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeni, Dibs on your OSC books. I have none of them.
I just must figure how much it will cost to send them to Brazil. But I'm willing to pay!

I'll PM you this weekend, ok?

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Marion Zimmer Bradley and old Heinlein books and some craft books for me, please.

Oh, and I've got The Memory of Earth but not the others in that series, Jeni, if you haven't found anyone interested in your duplicates.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.