FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wow, I can't believe that Sony is charging... (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Wow, I can't believe that Sony is charging...
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Capcom, as an example, produced Resident Evil 4 and Killer7 (both of which I own and like) primarily for the GameCube; PS2 versions came later.
Hence the "almost." Count the number of games in their library that were released exclusively on PS2. Also, Killer 7 was seriously one of the most underwhelming games in video game history. What a waste of time THAT was.

quote:
I'm not totally sure that I'd count on those companies you listed to stay PS3-exclusive, though, even in the RPG arena. I suspect they'll go where the money is: i.e., they will ultimately make games for whichever console is the market leader in Japan. It probably won't be Microsoft, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Nintendo selling a lot more Wiis than Sony sells PS3s, especially if what happened with the DS and PSP is any indication. SquareEnix certainly has a formal relationship with Nintendo again nowadays; there were three GBA FF releases and there are going to be a couple more for the DS.
The DS vs PSP isn't a fair comparison, since Nintendo has a VERY well established market dominance of portable consoles. People have tried and failed continuously to break into that sphere. Despite the lackluster PSP sales, though, note the completely inexplicable popularity of PSP movies (which I suspect is all that's keeping the console alive at this point). The PSP's greatest mistake was lack of a unique library: almost all the games are PS2 ports, where the DS had a library all its own. The PS3 will not have this problem.

Still, good points, and SquareEnix has shown themselves to be quite comfortable with backstabbing in the past.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Ten years ago, people were saying exactly the same thing about Nintendo. Never say "never."
What on earth are you talking about? Nintendo has released a single failed console to date and their recovery thereafter was phenomenal. Japan's support of Nintendo never died.

Edit to add: Not to mention that the only reason the console died was because it was physically damaging to use.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much stopped paying attention to console gaming when I got my C64, and have only recently taken an interest in it again, so I know almost nothing about the history between, say, the Colecovision and the PS2/XBox/Gamecube generation of consoles. What was the failed Nintendo console, and in what way was it physically damaging to use? Did the controllers tend to induce carpal tunnel syndrome or something?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Virtual Boy. It was a 3D semi-portable gaming system that you strapped to your head. Kind of cool in it's own way but it was found to be bad for your eyes.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I never tried that, but even being at a very impressionable age when it was released I thought that thing was teh suck.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, Killer 7 was seriously one of the most underwhelming games in video game history. What a waste of time THAT was.
I can only assume from this that either you never played it or we have fundamentally different tastes. I found it very refreshing to play a game with an interesting and original story and style, which in my experience is a rarity on consoles (or, really, in gaming in general). Of course, given your list -- Atlus, Konami, Capcom, and particularly SquareEnix -- it's probably safe to say that our tastes are indeed very different, with a small amount of overlap.

quote:
The DS vs PSP isn't a fair comparison, since Nintendo has a VERY well established market dominance of portable consoles.
While this is true, the DS didn't take off immediately (as it would have if the Nintendo brand alone was strong enough to make a hit). It wasn't until the release of Nintendogs that DS sales skyrocketed -- in fact, in the week after Nintendogs' release in Japan, DS sales quadrupled.

quote:
Still, good points, and SquareEnix has shown themselves to be quite comfortable with backstabbing in the past.
I'm not sure "backstabbing" is the word I'd use, but yes, they've certainly switched platforms before.

quote:
What on earth are you talking about? Nintendo has released a single failed console to date and their recovery thereafter was phenomenal. Japan's support of Nintendo never died.
Recovery phenomenal? ~14% of the console market to Sony's ~69% isn't phenomenal (see below).

quote:
Edit to add: Not to mention that the only reason the console died was because it was physically damaging to use.
I'm not talking about the Virtual Boy. I'm talking about the N64, which sold 32 million units to the PS1's 100 million.

For this generation, as of March 2006, the standings are roughly 103 million PS2s, 24 million Xboxes, and ~20.5 million GameCubes. Wikipedia's figures in this case come straight from the annual reports of the companies in question.

My point in all of this is that if Sony could wrest market dominance from Nintendo in the space of one console generation, the same could easily happen to Sony. The PS3 isn't going to fail the way the Virtual Boy did, but it could put in a lacklustre performance compared to its predecessor. That's "could," not "will."

Added:

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
Virtual Boy. It was a 3D semi-portable gaming system that you strapped to your head. Kind of cool in it's own way but it was found to be bad for your eyes.

I don't know about the eyes, but bending over to look into the set (the stand was not adjustable) was definitely bad for your back. Not that I played one (or even heard about them) when it came out, or played one for very long at any time.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting. Thanks, Primal Curve!

[Edit--and twinky]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I can only assume from this that either you never played it or we have fundamentally different tastes. I found it very refreshing to play a game with an interesting and original story and style, which in my experience is a rarity on consoles (or, really, in gaming in general). Of course, given your list -- Atlus, Konami, Capcom, and particularly SquareEnix -- it's probably safe to say that our tastes are indeed very different, with a small amount of overlap.
I did play it. We probably have different priorities more than tastes: Killer 7 struck me as unplayable, despite the unique style and engaging storyline. I was excited about it for a long time, which probably also had something to do with how disappointed I was in the finished product.

quote:
While this is true, the DS didn't take off immediately (as it would have if the Nintendo brand alone was strong enough to make a hit). It wasn't until the release of Nintendogs that DS sales skyrocketed -- in fact, in the week after Nintendogs' release in Japan, DS sales quadrupled.
I'm pretty sure it was tripled, but you're right.

quote:
Recovery phenomenal? ~14% of the console market to Sony's ~69% isn't phenomenal (see below).
As compared to, say, Sega.

quote:
I'm not talking about the Virtual Boy. I'm talking about the N64, which sold 32 million units to the PS1's 100 million.

For this generation, as of March 2006, the standings are roughly 103 million PS2s, 24 million Xboxes, and ~20.5 million GameCubes. Wikipedia's figures in this case come straight from the annual reports of the companies in question.

My point in all of this is that if Sony could wrest market dominance from Nintendo in the space of one console generation, the same could easily happen to Sony. The PS3 isn't going to fail the way the Virtual Boy did, but it could put in a lacklustre performance compared to its predecessor. That's "could," not "will."

I understand your point here, but in my mind the problems were tied directly to the lack of support from very specific developers (notably SquareEnix). I think a huge part of why the N64 failed was the severe lack of planned title from developers customers had come to love and support (e.g. Capcom, SquareEnix, etc.). When the GameCube came out, these developers were less repulsed but didn't release enough of their games exclusively to GameCube to make up the difference.

The argument I'm seeing here is that if the PS3 fails, the developers will jump ship, and I can agree with that: if the PS3 failed, the developers probably would. But I don't see the PS3 failing without the developers jumping ship, which (thus far) they are not doing.

twinky
Member # 693

quote:
I did play it. We probably have different priorities more than tastes: Killer 7 struck me as unplayable, despite the unique style and engaging storyline. I was excited about it for a long time, which probably also had something to do with how disappointed I was in the finished product.
That makes sense. I was excited about Killer7 for a long time too -- I followed its development pretty much from the first announcement. Ultimately I thought that the decision to put the player on rails was for the best because of the control it gave Capcom over the camera angles (control that I felt they used to excellent effect). I mean, sure, the gameplay was rote, but that was also true of Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, and it didn't stop me from sinking more than 100 hours into them total. [Wink]

According to the Wikipedia article on Nintendogs (which references an IGN article I can't read from work), it boosted DS sales by a factor of 4.2. Either way, though, it was a lot. Myself, I'm thinking about a DS for the Age of Empires title, of all things. [Big Grin]

quote:
The argument I'm seeing here is that if the PS3 fails, the developers will jump ship, and I can agree with that: if the PS3 failed, the developers probably would. But I don't see the PS3 failing without the developers jumping ship, which (thus far) they are not doing.
Well, it isn't so much "fails" (in the Virtual Boy sense) as it is "fails to meet sales expectations." The PS2 was one of the fastest-selling consoles ever on launch; if the PS3 isn't, it might be taken as a sign of weakness (even if sales are still good overall).

For example, SquareEnix has already promised at least one RPG for the Xbox 360, and it won't be hamstrung by peripheral requirements the way Crystal Chronicles was on the GameCube. As you said, they're almost Sony-exclusive, but "almost" is a step change from the PS1 generation. It could be a sign that their confidence in Sony is slightly weaker, or it could just be opportunistic behaviour. Until the PS3 launch is well behind us, we won't really know.

Apparently, though, the playable PS3 games at E3 stand up, which is a positive sign for Sony after a year of hype and empty display cases.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this is straight from 3 places today....

The $399 XBox360 package IS HD DVD ready, and comes with the cabels and all; all it requires is a HD ready tv. If you buy just the core system you have to pay for additional hardware for HD DVD playback, but it will play regular DVD's out of the box.

For $399 it has both HD capacity AND a 20 gig Hard Drive (and HD cables).

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
According to this article at CNN.com:

quote:
Sony said it is taking steps to avoid the widespread shortages consumers faced last holiday with the Xbox 360. The company plans to ship 2 million PlayStation 3s at launch and plans to ship another 2 million before the end of 2006. Kaz Hirai, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America, said the company also plans to ship an additional 2 million units in the first quarter of 2007.

"The next generation doesn't start until we say it does," said Hirai.

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Excuse me? Why doesn't it start until Sony says so? I mean, you're charging $600 for your new console (at least the version most people are going to want) and Microsoft's 360 will have been out for a year before the PS3 will be released.

Is he saying this just because Sony currently sells the most console systems? If so, then maybe he should rethink his statement. Nintendo is starting to look like a serious contender (sp?) again and after all microsoft does have a year's head start.

It's a whole new ballgame with nextgen Sony. Maybe dropping the arrogance when half the gaming world is angry about the new console price is in order.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I think that statement referred to how advanced their game system will be. I think they have a point. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

That still isn't accurate, Kwea. The US$400 Xbox 360 (which is what I have) does not play HD-DVDs out of the box. Nor does the US$300 Core System. In either case you would have to buy Microsoft's add-on HD-DVD drive (an external drive) to play HD-DVDs. This add-on has been announced but isn't actually available yet.
andi330
Member # 8572

Yeah, but as Nintendo found out with the Game Cube most advanced does not equal most popular. Of the three systems that came out last time the GC was the most advanced system of the three, better graphics and better processor. Sony still left it in the dust.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
That still isn't accurate, Kwea. The US$400 Xbox 360 (which is what I have) does not play HD-DVDs out of the box. Nor does the US$300 Core System. In either case you would have to buy Microsoft's add-on HD-DVD drive (an external drive) to play HD-DVDs. This add-on has been announced but isn't actually available yet.

And that drive will play movies only. No games.
twinky
Member # 693

That depends on your definition of "advanced." The original Xbox had the best graphics, as evidenced by crossplatform titles such as the Splinter Cell franchise.

Added: To address your second post, if that's true, I'm not sure I see what difference it makes. I'm not really expecting game developers to use the full 30GB capacity of Blu-ray discs anytime soon.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i'm sorry but I see alot of generallities here, I think the PS3 is an excellent consol AFAIK and I WILL buy it if I have the money.

However, about the generallities, does anyone have hard facts in terms of statistics why the PS3 would do badly?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Excuse me? Why doesn't it start until Sony says so?
Because Sony says they get to say who says when it starts, obviously.

Seriously though, what are you asking? The quote is from a Sony representative at a Sony event hyping a Sony product. "Hype" being a very important word. Do you expect Sony to come out and say "Yeah, the XBox totally beat us to the punch this time out and we're going to have to play catch up later. Oh, and by the way we're totally trying to rip of Nintendo's controller idea, too."?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
i'm sorry but I see alot of generallities here
You haven't provided anything other than "I think the PS3 will be awesome because I love Final Fantasy games," so I dunno that you're in a position to criticise. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
However, about the generallities, does anyone have hard facts in terms of statistics why the PS3 would do badly?

In the last two generations, the company that got to market first (Sony) completely dominated. The PlayStation came out in Japan in December 1994, while the N64 didn't see release until June 1996. The PS1 sold 100 million units to the N64's 32 million.

Similarly, the PS2 (100 million units sold) came out in Japan in March 2000, while the GameCube (20.6 million units sold) didn't come out until September 2001. The Xbox (24 million) came out in North America first, in November 2001.

When the Wii and PS3 come out this fall, Microsoft will have had roughly a year to sell consoles. The Xbox 360 isn't selling as fast as the PS1 and PS2 did, but it's selling briskly; if Microsoft can come up with a "killer app" for the Japanese market (such as that exclusive RPG SquareEnix are working on for them), they may be able to hang on to the marketshare crown for a few years even if the PS3 flies off the shelves.

Obviously this is all speculation. What are you suggesting? That we shouldn't ever speculate about the potential of a product that isn't out yet? [Razz]

quote:
I WILL buy it if I have the money.
That's the kicker, isn't it? The PS3 costs 50% more than the Xbox 360.

The question, then, is how briskly the PS3 will sell at US$600 for the real system, particularly if Microsoft cuts the Xbox 360's price just in time for the PS3 release, and even more particularly if the Wii sells for less than US$250. How many people have HDTVs to take advantage of an Xbox 360 or PS3? Adoption rates aren't exactly staggering to this point. A year ago I figured Sony would sell a hojillion of whatever it was they put out with the PS3 label, even if it was an elephant turd with a little bow tie; now I'm not so sure. We'll see, I suppose.

andi330
Member # 8572

quote:
i'm sorry but I see alot of generallities here, I think the PS3 is an excellent consol AFAIK and I WILL buy it if I have the money.

Sure. Here is a list of things that I could do with $600:
-Pay one month rent.
-Buy at five to six months of groceries.
-Fill my gas tank 15 times.
-Buy a new sleeper sofa and have money left over.
-Pay several car payments.
-Put it in savings where it could earn interest.
-(Assuming the Wii will be $250 and the games $50) - Buy the Wii and about six games for it.

The early adopters will probably run right out and buy it but alot of gamers won't until the price drops - significantly. It's just too much expense and the $600 doesn't include any games. Sony and Microsoft have said that their games are going to average $60. So if you want to get a couple of games with the system you can tack on another $120. That's $720 at the start. Here in SC sales tax is currently 5% so add on another $36 for tax and you've hit $756 for the system and two games. I don't care how cool the system is, it's just not worth that much money to me or a lot of other gamers.

Sure, sony will keep the hardcore players but your average player, people like me, won't lay out that much cash for a system.

Although I must say, I am tempted to buy one then put it on Ebay. I could probably make 100-200% profit on it.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

i'm the poor average gamer and I will shell out the money if I have the money to do so and I think we can all agree that playing FFXIII is alot more important then rent. pfft.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

If this already been mentioned in the thread I've missed it, but...

Controllers. Do any of the prices floating around include even one controller? Back in my day a nintendo system came with two controllers and a Mario game included in the price. [/crotchety] But many more recent systems have not included controllers (IIRC), partially on the excuse that there were more style/color options available so you'd want to pick them out separately. I actually see this as being more of an issue with the Wii, since the controller may cost more to produce than a standard controller, and it has the plug in for controller peripherals, like the analog stick in addition to the Wii-mote (nunchucku-style). So andi's price estimate of $756 may not even have you able to play your PS3 yet.

And on a somewhat-related note, how the heck did they decide on seven-player maximum for the PS3? Bravo for the capability of "more than 4" but why arrive at a number that makes it impossible to have even teams or reasonably symmetric multiplayer arenas? Seven is terribly odd, if you'll pardon the pun.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

Can you name a system that ships without a controller? I can't.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I'm pretty sure* the N64 and GameCube didn't when I bought them, but I bought my PS2 used so can't speak for that. Maybe that's just a nintendo trend then.

*Not 100% positive, it's been a while. That's why I asked in my previous post.

--Enigmatic

Edit: Checking out bestbuy.com shows that the GC is currently packaged with a controller, so perhaps my cynicism has gotten the best of my memory. Or I'm just too used to buying the extra one for multiplayer at launch. Feel free to ignore everything but the 7-player part, then. [Dont Know]

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, but as Nintendo found out with the Game Cube most advanced does not equal most popular. Of the three systems that came out last time the GC was the most advanced system of the three, better graphics and better processor. Sony still left it in the dust.
Was it? I was distinctly dissapointed in the quality of the Game Cube. It's always seemed to have noticeably worse graphics, and the GC controllers are the worst I can ever remember using. Flimsy pieces of crap. It was worth it to get access to certain titles, but that's about it.

And I still don't understand the point of the mini-discs.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly uncopyable (disc to disc), right? I was under the impression that Nintendo owned/had an exclusive contract with the companies that made the discs and the readers - but that might just be hearsay.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious, if PS3 bombs, and Microsoft picks up a lot of the pieces, not to mention Nintendo regaining some marketshare....does Sega decide to pick up the gauntlet again?

Sega has stayed away from consoles since the Dreamcast bombed wretchedly. Hasn't even looked like they've had a chance recently. Anyone think they might take a shot at it again if Sony bombs out? It leaves everything fairly wide open.

Another note on the price of the PS3...For almost $800 including the system and a couple games, to say nothing of whatever else you want, I could get a pretty decent gaming computer from Dell, or could most certainly build one myself for that. Or buy an HDTV. That's something that hasn't been discussed a lot however, what is the percentage of Americans, Japanese and South Koreans (the Big Three markets for gaming) that actually HAVE HDTVs?

No way parents are going to buy that for their kids for Christmas, which has to be the aim considering the timing of the release. I think in fact, it makes XBox360 and Wii look all the more attractive at Christmas time.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the PS3 isn't even on the map anymore. I've never liked the Final Fantasy games much, nor any of their other big franchises, and the machine itself is going to be too expensive to justify. No, it's really only a choice between Nintendo and Microsoft this time, and up until Monday, I was more or less convinced that I was gonna go Wii (ba-dump PSH!).

Then Bungie did that whole "announcing Halo 3" thing, and that changes everything. [Smile] Call me crazy, but there's only one franchise that's really gripped my attention this past generation, and that's the one with the big green cyborg.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aside from the price issue, I think this is pretty telling:

quote:
The wait to try out the Wii at E3 pushed past four hours on Thursday afternoon, while the wait for hands-on time with Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 was barely 30 minutes.
In short, if people are less excited about and having less fun playing the PS3 than the competition, fewer will pay the massive price tag.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and i replay with her old Super NES recently. Waow !! Donkey kong country is fun !!!
and the terrible but untiredable Mario cart the first ! Totally nuts !

Why buying a so expensive gamebox whereas we have good old consoles ?

Next time : The Atari 2600 !!!!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I was told by three people in two diffferent shops yesterday that it DID play HD DVD's out of the box....but only if you got a Premium Package that retails for $399.

See why I was confused? [Big Grin]

I asked very specifically, too, I made sure of it.

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The confusion is that most sales folks at these places just hear buzzwords. A system has a DVD player, and can output an HD signal??? Must be able to play an HD DVD [Smile] Doh!

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

i'm pretty sure they'll have adapters out to allow more then 7.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

also, is the xbox being released into Japan? I've heard that Japan held off from buying the Xbox 360.
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
i'm pretty sure they'll have adapters out to allow more then 7.

Based on... what, exactly? If you look at the lights on the controller that identify whether you're player 1, 2, etc., those lights go from one to... four.

4 != 7

So what happened to the promise of support for 7 controllers, then? How about that router functionality? Dual HDMI outputs?

If gamers haven't learned to mistrust corporate hype machines by now (and Sony's in particular), maybe we never will.

Added: Additionally, given that the controllers are wireless, I don't see why you should need to buy an adapter to play with more than whatever the limit turns out to be. It's not like you need additional physical components to detect more clients on a wireless network.

Added:

quote:
also, is the xbox being released into Japan? I've heard that Japan held off from buying the Xbox 360.

Microsoft released the Xbox 360 almost simultaneously worldwide, so yes, it's out in Japan, and has been since last November. It isn't selling well over there so far.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Based on... what, exactly? If you look at the lights on the controller that identify whether you're player 1, 2, etc., those lights go from one to... four.
I've seen many indicators that use the lights this way:

code:
              LIGHTS
Value 1 2 3 4
1 X
2 X
3 X
4 X
5 X X
6 X X
7 X X

Don't know if they're doing that or not.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

well look at the PS1, didnt it have an adapter to allow 7+ players?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

also, http://www.ps3portal.com/ps3/videos/32.html

the controller-gyro thingamajingy is pretty cool, I can become an ace pilot this way.

Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
quote:
I've seen many indicators that use the lights this way:

code:
              LIGHTS
Value 1 2 3 4
1 X
2 X
3 X
4 X
5 X X
6 X X
7 X X

Sony is trying to stealth teach us binary! They are turning us all into geeks!

EVIL!!!

-Bok

EDIT: Yes, yes, it's actually quadnary (???). That just shows that they want us to be uber-geeks using a number system even real geeks don't use!

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
I agree that that's possible. [Smile]
quote:
well look at the PS1, didnt it have an adapter to allow 7+ players?
It did. But why would you need a physical adapter when the controllers are wireless? The controller limitation should be determined by the available wireless bandwidth.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

My desk fan has a timer implemented this way. It can set any time from one half our to 7.5 hours at half hour intervals.

quote:
Yes, yes, it's actually quadnary (???). That just shows that they want us to be uber-geeks using a number system even real geeks don't use!
I'm not sure what base it actually is. The value of each place doesn't go up by powers of a single number. It can hold numbers from zero to 10 in four places. Binary can hold, what, 0-15 in 4 digits?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Er... isn't it just the sum of the assigned values for each space? I don't think such a system has a base as such, does it?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
isn't it just the sum of the assigned values for each space?
Yes.

quote:
I don't think such a system has a base as such, does it?
I don't know the right terminology.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
They just sound like bitmasks.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
In the interest of full disclosure, my home has multiple computers but only has a (13", non-HD) TV because my mother in law left one here. I'm an avid computer gamer but if I ever buy a console-style system, it'll more likely be a handheld than anythin else.

That said, here's my ignorant and potentially blasphemous statement...

How many people are really going to use a 1080p HD system?! Are there really that many people out there with enormous HD televisions? We are only now, slowly, getting to the point where people who look plausibly like real people can be generated by hardware in real time. The resolution of 1080p, not to mention the capacity of Blu-Ray, presently seems like so much overkill. I feel kind of like I do about people in computer games who sneer at systems that can't do everything at 1600 x 1200: at what point does it cease being about real gains in quality and just become a matter of bragging rights?

Not long ago, people were talking about how good DVD-quality video looked; frankly, I'm still there. Part of that may be a stingy unwillingness to jump on the new-shiny-biggest-and-best bandwagon, but a lot of it is just face value: DVD resolution still looks pretty good to me.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
Sony is trying to stealth teach us binary! They are turning us all into geeks!

EVIL!!!

-Bok

EDIT: Yes, yes, it's actually quadnary (???). That just shows that they want us to be uber-geeks using a number system even real geeks don't use!

Well Bok, there are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't [Wink]
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
Well Bok, there are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't [Wink]

Gah! The geekiness, it's all over me! Get it off, get. it. off!

-Bok

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sony's New Marketing Strategy
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by Bokonon:
quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:

Gah! The geekiness, it's all over me! Get it off, get. it. off!

-Bok

What do you mean, get it off? You are the one spreading it all over the place! [Wink] If we get all the geekiness off of you there won't be anything left for Karen to hug! [Big Grin]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dagonee:
My desk fan has a timer implemented this way. It can set any time from one half our to 7.5 hours at half hour intervals.

quote:
Yes, yes, it's actually quadnary (???). That just shows that they want us to be uber-geeks using a number system even real geeks don't use!
I'm not sure what base it actually is. The value of each place doesn't go up by powers of a single number. It can hold numbers from zero to 10 in four places. Binary can hold, what, 0-15 in 4 digits?
[Laugh] NERDSSS!!!!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.