FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Music (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Music
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Earendil18:
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
[qb]
... and the repetitive recycled harmonies.

Beach Boys anyone?
Now, you just wait a second. The Beach Boys were cool. And their music is still awesome.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Beach Boys?They just sing about girls and cars and California all the time. And surfing with girls who drive T birds in California and wear bikinis.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
They have a sweet Christmas album.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I don't think I buy that Orin. Some of the best music from the Beatles era is the same few chords over and over and over again, and people latched onto that like it was god himself shaking people's hands.

The Beatles themselves employed some of the most advanced harmonic and formal techniques ever seen in folk-type music, and their understanding of the music was very deep (although they were supposedly musically "illiterate," since they didn't read sheet music at all).

Other artists were not as adventurous, or else they relied on other parts of their music to be distinctive. Its true that some groups in virtually every genre will be repetitive and derivative, and country is no exception.

In fact I think what I dislike about country is the social aspect, which accompanies the music. It is IN the music too, the odd mix of conservatism and rebellion spirit which I find not to my own liking. I think all the country I ever listened to has failed to convince me either of the values it extols, or the sincerity of the songwriters. So with country I feel bored, unconvinced, and manipulated most of the time.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You're no fun at all.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I like anything good (by my standards, obviously) regardless of what genre it's in. Some of my favorite genres are classic rock (Kansas, Rush, The Shadows, Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Queen, etc.), indie rock (American Analog Set, The Arcade Fire, Modest Mouse, The Flaming Lips...) some metal (mostly Iron Maiden and Megadeth) and reggae (mostly Bob Marley). And if I'm in the mood, the jam rock, ska, garage kind of stuff (Dispatch, Sublime, OAR...stuff like that).
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Toad, which'ns did you listen to? My personal favorites off that particular CD are "Simple Lies," "Clean Sheets (and a dirty mind)," and "Shame."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
You're no fun at all.

[Evil Laugh]

I do rock the Bach, if that makes you feel better.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Modest Mouse is indie rock? What does that make Franz Ferdinand?

Orincoro -

We'll call it even [Smile]

pH
Member # 1350

I don't like Modest Mouse. Franz Ferdinand is hit-or-miss. I like Hot Hot Heat...

And Fingertight!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

By the way, Toad, I'm really liking "Deify" off the new Disturbed CD.

Bush-bashing that's more thoughtful than "BYOB," but that I can still dance to! [Cool]

-pH

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to Shame and Clean Sheets. Both sounded pretty good to me. Have you read the lyrics to B.Y.O.B.? They're pretty intricate, like any other System song.

For Jam rock, there's nothing like the Grateful Dead.

Iron Maiden Rocks.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro: That's kind of funny you think country is repetitive, because I was listening to Bach the other day (the Brandenbergs 1&5) and thinking how generally repetive they were: essentially verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus. The only thing that redeems the 5th is that rockin' harp cadenza. I'm not really disagreeing with you, but amused at the coincidence because I seriously thought that yesterday. On the other hand, I really do hate country too. I just hear it and the hairs on my arms stand up. Something about the lack of musicality in the singing? No idea. Yeesh.

Flaming Toad: Re: jam rock, you should listen to Widespread Panic if you haven't already! They are great and still performing.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I generally think that the criticism in BYOB has fewer legs to stand on than Deify.

Check out Endo's "Simple Lies." It had something to do with that Daredevil movie or something, I don't remember.

-pH

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
It was on the OST. Good song.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Imogen Heap
Imogen Heap
Imogen Heap
Imogen Heap

Video of performance in 2002
Video of performance in 2005

I went to her concert a few weeks ago and I'm so pumped!

Lyrhawn, you should check out Ralph (pronounced Rafe) Vaughan Williams' Symphonies 4, 5, 6, and 9. 4 was right before WWII so it is very... like Holst's Mars (Holst and Vaughan Williams were friends). 5 was hopeful, 6 and 9 were... cold war.

The other amazing singer I've recently found is Hayley Westenra. Very pure voice (it isn't ironic one of her albums is named Pure).

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
The Beatles themselves employed some of the most advanced harmonic and formal techniques ever seen in folk-type music, and their understanding of the music was very deep.

yeah, yeah, yeah
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

[ROFL]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Kristen:
Orincoro: That's kind of funny you think country is repetitive, because I was listening to Bach the other day (the Brandenbergs 1&5) and thinking how generally repetive they were: essentially verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus. The only thing that redeems the 5th is that rockin' harp cadenza. I'm not really disagreeing with you, but amused at the coincidence because I seriously thought that yesterday.

I was thinking about this very topic today during my jog.

This is a function of the role of Bach's music in the lives of his audience. There was no recorded music, so he could "get away" with doing quite a bit more of the same music over and over again. In fact he was not padding the peices at all, but instead filling a demand and responding to a fashion which predates him. For Bach peices it's important to remember that his audiences were not often familiar with his body of work and style, nor with the peices themselves. A peice was heard once, and that was that, so repetition ensured memorability. If you were listening to a Bach concerto for the first time, and it was your first such peice of music (the most well crafted concerto ever written, or that you had ever heard, essentially), you would want to hear the same elements several times over because they are so beatiful. Additionally, performers could learn more music faster if it was the same music, but slightly transformed over time.

There is a very good reason why Bach begins to sound repetitive over 3 hours of music, and country begins to sound repetitive in 30 minutes. There is just more depth in Bach, and the repetitions wear well on his music, even in the current listening climate of ipods and earbuds.

[ May 17, 2006, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Orincoro ]

human_2.0
Member # 6006

Ok, now I'm on my classic recommendation mode. Someone please distract me before I spend all night on this...

Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade
Modest Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition
Erik Satie: Sports et divertissements, Gnossienne, Nocturnes
Debussy: La Mer, Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune (Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun)
Holst, Hammersmith
Copland, Symphony 3

Well, I'll have to put the rest on hold because I got sidetracked:

Imogen Heap on Letterman show
Must be Dreaming video
Just for now AMAZING PERFORMANCE close up
Close up (one of my favorite songs)
Part of Loose Ends

She's also got a song in Shrek 2 (Holding out for a Hero) and in Narnia (Can't take it in) movies.

Interview
Interview
Interview 2

She is on tour, east coast and Canada, so you might check her myspace website and go hear her! (the live shots above are from her current tour)

A thing about Imogen. She made her own record label, so if you haven't heard about her it is because she is her own distributor, vs having the big "evil" companies promote her (guess they do have a purpose...). In case you haven't watched any of the vids yet, she is her own band too (except for when she was in Frou Frou and a few songs with Zoe Keating).

[ May 17, 2006, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: human_2.0 ]

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Human, I am more a fan of "Nocturnes" by Debussy, instead of "lapres midi d'un faune." Especially "Nuage" is such a sexy peice of music, it's really got everything you could want- except for the oboe solo. of course, no reason you can't like both!

If your list is purely 20th century, then what would be your selections from Rachmoninoff, Bartok or Shosokovich? And what about Berg or Messian, or even Shoenberg (not for me though, bleh).

human_2.0
Member # 6006

Rachmoninoff - I never really learned anything of his. Didn't he have that death march?
Shosokovich - ditto
Bartok - Anything and everything by him. I actually never heard any one piece of his as sticking out.

If you want "20th century" then I'd say:
Messiaen's canyons
Ive's unanswered question
Steve Reich
John Adams

I'd have to investigate them more to pick individual pieces. I never really did pick favorites from them. Considering I can't get enough of Imogen, I kinda doubt I'll look into it soon.

I don't really like Berg too much, at least not what I studied. And Schoenberg? Pft... Even current "20th century" composers agree a lot of his ideas are not the greatest. Purely random music? I prefer my cat walking on a piano.

Another comment about Imogen. About everything she does in her music is something I've wanted to do. So listening to her is like listening to the music I've always wanted to compose.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

I agree about Shoenberg, and yes, his compositions haven't stood up well to time.

Shostokovich is amazing, you should jump on that bandwagon. He wrote a number of really devine string quartets and some orchestral music which is just heavenly. He was a very consonant composer.

Reich- I'm playing in "electric counterpoint" at the end of the month. CRAZZY! Awesome. Pat Methaney might come- he's in the area. (He will never come but I have convinced myself he might show.)

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I also like Powerman 5000.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Action Action. Specifically, the song "Drug-Like."

-pH

human_2.0
Member # 6006

Orinoco,
I work in a media library and we have recordings of nearly everything. You give me a listening list, anything, Schoenberg even, and I'll listen to it all (or what I have) if you watch all of the Imogen Heap links I posted (including the interviews).

human_2.0
Member # 6006

And you have to watch this one too:

Come Here Boy - she did this one when she was 19 years old.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

you burned me with the war of the worlds music... but alright I'll check out your imogen stuff. I'll give you a short list of my picks of the 20th century soon- although it won't be comprehensive since I only really got into 20th century music about 8 months ago!
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Hehehe! Well, this stuff is a bit... newer and current. My new catch phrase is "relevant".

And think about it, at least you get to torture me a bit if you want! "Oh PLEASE don't make me listen to..." hehehe

pH
Member # 1350

Toad, have you ever heard that Disturbed song "God of the Mind?" I can't figure out where to get my hands on it. I think it was on a soundtrack, but I don't remember which one.

It was that song that went:
"You want a god, but you're never gonna give in to me. You wanna deity like me..."

-pH

Orincoro
Member # 8854

*Rubbing hands together* muahahaha

Let's see, I'll post my list thursday

human_2.0
Member # 6006

pH, this one? (iTunes required)
Ozymandias
Member # 9424

- posted      Profile for Ozymandias   Email Ozymandias         Edit/Delete Post 
Pantera, Metallica, Disturbed, Nitro, Dream Theater, AC/DC, Van Halen, The Doors(my lulluby was Touch Me), Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Neil Young, Billy Joel, Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac, Lynard Skynard, and the Practical Magic soundtrack
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Given that the one and only qualification for the Indie Rock genre is an independent record label...neither is indie rock.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ozymandias
Member # 9424

- posted      Profile for Ozymandias   Email Ozymandias         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Given that the one and only qualification for the Indie Rock genre is an independent record label...neither is indie rock.
true
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.