FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Whoever said the internet was good for shy people never had to do an intro post...

Author Topic: Whoever said the internet was good for shy people never had to do an intro post...
Sabrina
Member # 9413

- posted      Profile for Sabrina           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Hatrack people. I've been lurking about for a while and decided to finally join up. I'm very dull. I live in a little blue house in a little town with my Long-Suffering Beloved**, four cats, a million books, more yarn than any sensible person needs, and stacks of gardening catalogues. Say the words, "book sale" or "heirloom seeds," and I turn into a mutant.

Anyway, hello. This is a nice place you have here. [Smile]

**He isn't actually suffering, you know, he likes having cats sit on his head while he watches t.v. He just doesn't realize it yet.

Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Sabrina! Welcome to Hatrack. [Wave]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. My internet associations are actually responsible for me learning to knit.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy!

Nice intro! [Smile]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I nearly turned into a mutant just reading the words "book sale." [Smile]

Welcome! And if you think intros are hard, wait until you get to a landmark... [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack!

quote:
Say the words, "book sale" or "heirloom seeds," and I turn into a mutant.
So what kind of powers do you take on when you mutate? All mutants have powers, after all.

::ahem::

"book sale"

::watches for transformation::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabrina
Member # 9413

*turns into puppy*

No, that's not right

*turns into bar of soap*
*turns into halle berry in stupid wig*
*turns into mushroom*

I hope this thing is covered under warranty.

*checks instruction manual*

Finally! [Razz]

Posts: 51 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[ROFL]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabrina
Member # 9413

*muttermuttermutter*
*kicks instruction manual*

Noemon
Member # 1115

Your link is broken, by the way; I think that this is what you were trying to link to.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Welcome to Hatrack. Is you mutant form different for heirloom seeds, or the same?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

So what prompted you to stop lurking and start posting, out of curiosity?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool intro! I give it a 5 out of 5 on the Belle Intro Ranking Scale.

Welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabrina
Member # 9413

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Your link is broken, by the way; I think that this is what you were trying to link to.

Fixed, thank you very much! This is why one should NEVER buy instruction manuals on EBay. grrr...
Sabrina
Member # 9413

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
[Smile] Welcome to Hatrack. Is you mutant form different for heirloom seeds, or the same?

I turn into a really big garden gnome. Scares the heck out of the cats. [Big Grin]
Sabrina
Member # 9413

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
So what prompted you to stop lurking and start posting, out of curiosity?

I started feeling a little silly, just reading and never contributing anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Very cool intro! I give it a 5 out of 5 on the Belle Intro Ranking Scale.

Welcome to Hatrack!

Thank you! [Smile]
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
That's weird, I could have sworn I posted a reply to this, but when I went back to look it wasn't there.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello, and welcome to Hatrack! I also love to read, am an obsessed knitter, and am learning gardening by trial and error in the one tiny scrap of my yard that's usable.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

I have started to knit, thanks to Hatrack (and for the record, I blame you all for the yarn stash that has taken over one drawer and is encroaching on a second in my wardrobe...) and also love reading and gardening. Well, I love my herb garden. Bigger gardening is too much work. *grin*

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabrina
Member # 9413

I keep the excess yarn balls in baskets, but I may have to rethink that, since the cats seem to think I put it there for THEM. [Razz]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Sabrina! I missed your intro thread. [Smile] Welcome to Hatrack. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, Sabrina! I can tell I'm going to like you [Smile]

There are some truly fine gradeners hereabouts, so you should feel right at home sharing both your hobbies.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
You really can't have too much yarn.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

You wanna bet?

(Big W has just started selling 100% Australian made yarn in a variety of colours and makes (some 100% wool) for $2.97 a ball. SAVE ME!!!!)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

quote:
...I blame you all for the yarn stash that has taken over one drawer and is encroaching on a second in my wardrobe...
Pfft. Amateur. [Wink]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandmother has converted my dad's old bedroom into the yarn room. She has all four walls stacked with boxes up to the ceiling filled with yarn. Each box is labled with the content and gauge of the yarn.

So far mine fits (tightly) into a large rubbermaid box.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
When I hear "blue house," I think of that song...I'm blue, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee, da ba di, da ba dee da ba di...

Welcome!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

*goes googly-eyed imagining the yarn room*

Someday...

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

It's fantastic. Sadly there is at least one whole box of baby pink 80s acrylic.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
more yarn than any sensible person needs
Is such a thing possible?

I have found popcorn containers - you know the big ones people give as gifts - are great for holding your stash.

And have you checked out this? http://www.malabrigoyarn.com/catalogo.htm

Softest wool I have ever found - you just want to roll around in it. I can't stop touching it. I just got seven skeins of the velvet grapes to make a shawl for myself.

Yarnzilla got it to me in less than a week.

Welcome!

Kate (the yarn pusher)

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Don't!!!

(Last time I bought yarn online *for someone else* I managed to buy myself three balls of 2 ply baby mohair as well - I don't need more encouragement!)

((Although, I have a really nifty idea for using the mohair.....))

Sabrina
Member # 9413

Mango. They have a yarn that is mango colored. *goes glassy eyed*

Mango.

*twitches*

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
pH, could be worse....I now have 'Big Blue Note' ringing in my head. :/

Welcome, Sabrina Fair! [Smile] Great intro post!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Sabrina! [Wave]

I love books and gardening too! It's almost time to start planting the flowers here in Chicago, and I am getting twitchy just thinking about it. [Cool]

I store my small amount of yarn (I crochet, not knit) in plastic file cabinet like things. These are also great for the ridiculous amount of fabric I have. (I'm more of a seamstress.)

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Didja see the velvet grapes? Didja? I have seven skeins. (smug)

Luet! Another Chicagoan! (well, I'm in Evanston) We'll have to have lunch or something.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Sabrina!

Book sales are second only to when awesome used book stores leaves out extra books they don't need for free.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! Only one cat, and one dog, here, but my wife has more yarn and knitting projects around the house than I could imagine we'll ever need. [Smile]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Sabrina!

You must not be too shy if you already have a Long-Suffering Beloved** (and one that likes cats!). Quite a feat!

[Smile]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Tell us more about you and your LSB? In what part of the country is your little, blue house?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
jeniwren, perhaps this will fix it:

I have a blue house with a blue window. Blue is the color, something something. Blue are the streets, and all the trees are, too! I've got a girlfriend, and she is so blue!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I keep the excess yarn balls in baskets, but I may have to rethink that, since the cats seem to think I put it there for THEM. [Razz]
[Laugh] So silly. Of course you did.

It's odd, we have something in common: I turn into a mutant too. Strangely enough, it only happens when I see Miyazaki stills.

Welcome! [Wave]

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sabrina
Member # 9413

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Tell us more about you and your LSB? In what part of the country is your little, blue house?

The Long-Suffering Beloved tolerates my piles of books, baskets of yarn, humongous cookbook collection, and the assorted strays of various species that are usually living on the back porch until I find them a home (or end up keeping them). He went with me to plant a baby maple tree in the park because I felt bad digging it out of the flowerbed (I am a world-famous wimp). He suffers my addiction to Costco. I hope he never comes to his senses. [Wink]

Our house is in NJ, in a little town near the Morris Canal (which is a local historical thing that I can bore you with for hours. So don't encourage me.) The house is actually owned by two bold chipmunks with insatiable appetites for corn.

Oh, we also have a deer who visits in the evening, and she looks through the kitchen window at the cats (which drives them insane). Or perhaps I should say, MORE insane.

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Sabrina. Welcome.

(Hmm. Gracious people actually make introductions? I seem to recall I just barged into a conversation like a bull in a china shop.)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Sabrina! I hope you enjoy posting as much (if not more than) you enjoyed lurking. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! It's great when a lurker becomes a poster! You sound like a cool person. We're glad to have you.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Sabrina, it's really good to see you here! [Wave]

Let us know if there's something we can do for you, as a kind of forum-warming gift! [Razz]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.