FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Teacher Appreciation!

Author Topic: Teacher Appreciation!
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Teacher Appreciation week everyone!! I didn't have any idea that it was this week until I started receiving little presents from kids, parent clubs, and my boss. Bless the child who brought me M&Ms today. [Smile]

This is my first year being appreciated as a teacher and I like it. It's been a tough year, but I think I'm going to stick with it. I know it'll take me a few years to get past the beat myself up stage, so I'm going to stick with it. Hats off to all of you who are teachers in any way (parents, trainers, church, school etc).

One of the most influential teachers I had was my 8th grade reading teacher. She would reward us for using new words in classroom conversation, or for reading new books. She was so spunky and brilliant and she madly loved all of her kids. I'm still in touch with her and she just retired last year. In a letter from a while back she said (paraphrased) "There is a girl this year who I really didn't like at first. There is usually one or two kids every year. I had to make a list of her good qualities and I've been adding to it for the last month or so. I find that I love her dearly now, and I think she loves me back." I find myself wanting to be as loved by my students as much as I loved this teacher. I hope that they leave with good memories of me.

Tell us about your good teacher memories. It's the thing to do this week. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
My eighth grade English teacher was one of my most memorable. She was awesome. Gave some of us our first C's ever, just because we had been coasting along without being challenged. She was also completely hilarious. I remember one morning when she poked her head out of her classroom and called me and a few friends in. She was all excited and was like, "I want to show you guys something beautiful." And she opens her drawer and pulls out the latest copy of Entertainment Weekly with a picture of Harrison Ford on the cover. [Big Grin] She was obsessed with him. Happily married with two kids, but she had informed her husband that if Harrison Ford ever knocked on her door she would run away with him.

Happy Teacher Appreciation week, Cecily and all you other teachers around here. [Smile]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Teacher appriciation week, my parent's anniversery, and mother's day all in one week? My mom's got it good!

My most memorable teachers? I think the one who has inspired me the most to go into education was my 4th grade teacher. Though we did the normal math worksheets and stories out of a lit book, there was much more to the class. Because in our state, 4th grade social studies is Indiana History, she arranged for at least one field trip per month. Also we did many craft projects (with materials she purchased with her own money, including an 8 harness loom), nature assignments, and raised money for a step to be in our name at the Soldiers and Sailors Monument in Indianapolis (we sold cotton candy at lunch and school events).

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved my engineering drawing teacher in HS, Mr...oh dear...I can see his face, and I can't beleive I'm blanking on his name. Arrgh! He was a great teacher, just this curmudgeonly old guy who had really high standards and an ascerbic without being cruel sense of humor. I think he was used to having almost all boys in his class and his wit was one way of keeping them in line.

I took every class he offered, then took independant study. I loved him.

I also loved my HS English teacher, Mr. Wright. I had him several years, then was his teacher's aide in my senior year. He was a big guy, wore brown wide wale corduroys every day with shlumpy hushpuppies and a broad blue striped tie. Big bushy beard. He was the quintissential geeky HS teacher. He always graded my writing hard, but with encouraging comments. As his aide, I sat in the book room all hour (he was the English dept head) and read the books when I didn't have homework. I discovered Robert Heinlein and from him Science Fiction in that room. At Christmas, Mr. Wright gave all of his aides presents, and to me, he gave a bottle of cheap perfume that didn't smell all that great. I never wore it, in any case. Looking back, it could have been a creepy gift, but I remember being touched at his thoughtfulness for a gift that was so grown up. I honestly don't think it was a subtle pass...no other clues presented to give me the impression he had those kind of inclinations.

Mr Frasier! That was my engineering drawing teacher! I knew I remembered it.

Happy Teacher Appreciation week, Narnia!!! And Icarus, and Cor and DB and KrankyKat and who am I forgetting? You guys are tops and someday, a kid is going to write tributes about you, I just know it!

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
When are we going to have an "Obscure Professional Title That Doesn't Really Tell Us What You Do" Day (Or OPTTDRTUWYD - pronounced Opty-dirty-wide Day)

Oh...and Happy Teacher Appreciation week...

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Teacher Appreciation Week, Narn!

Just this past semester at college I had an awesome history teacher. You could tell that he honestly tried to present history as fairly as possible. He was totally the only teacher in my college career so far that was worth the time I spent in class.

I think the thing I appreciated most was that he treated his students like they were equals, not little kids to be treated with sneering condescension. He really listened to people and admitted when he didn't know some obscure fact. He had a good sense of humor, and even the guys who were just taking history as a requirement seemed to enjoy his class. I am totally gonna miss him next year.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Happy Opty-dirty-wide Week THT! [Smile] (that really made me giggle)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Thanks Narnia! You have no idea how hard it is to be an OPWOT (Obscure professional with obscure title). I can't even tell my kids what I do!
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it also Nurse Appreciation Week?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Naw.
Narnia
Member # 1071

Woah. It took me WAY too long to get that.

[ROFL]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.