FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NBA Playoffs 2006 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2006
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Round 1 was like this:
=======================
Detroit Pistons defeat Milwaukee Bucks 4-1
Miami Heat defeat Chicago Bulls 4-2
New Jersey Nets defeat Indiana Pacers 4-2
Cleveland Cavaliers defeat Washington Wizards 4-2

San Antonio Spurs defeat Sacramento Kings 4-2
Phoenix Suns defeat LA Lakers 4-3
LA Clippers defeat Denver Nuggets 4-1
Dallas Mavericks defeat Memphis Grizzlies 4-0

Round 2 so far
=======================
Pistons lead Cavaliers 2-0
Nets and Heat are tied 1-1

Spurs and Mavs are tied 1-1
Suns and Clippers are tied 1-1

Good times so far!

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I would've said the Heat would take out the Nets, but after that first game, I'd say anything is possible. Not that it makes a difference, the Pistons will take either of them out in six games at most.

Pistons are going all the way this year.

Edit for mixup.

[ May 12, 2006, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
If by going all the way you mean going to the conference finals and then losing to the Heat, then I agree.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Pfft. We're better than last year, and we beat them then didn't we?

Edit to add: We're 4-1 versus Miami for the season, and the only game we lost, was lost by a single basket. Doesn't bode well for Miami by the numbers.

[ May 12, 2006, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Phoenix! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's go, Spurs !!!!
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

3-1 against Miami this year, which is meaningless! We rarely had a healthy team in the regular season.

And last year Wade got injured and didn't play game 6 and didn't have an effective game 7.

Go heat! and suns!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Pistons are one of the top 3-point scoring teams this year, that wasn't the case in the playoffs the last two years. Two years that we went to the Finals. Plus we've added depth to our bench in the last year.

Good luck to a fully healthy Heat, but health won't help them. Pistons are going to the finals.

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

We'll see about that [Smile]

If the 3 pointers aren't falling -- the Pistons will be in trouble. The Heat offesnively dominate the paint, those shots will always fall. I like the Heat's chances if they play some perimeter defense.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Argh, Game 3, Pistons can't seem to shake it this year. We'll get em back in Game 4.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

The Heat are in the conference finals!
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Mavs all the way
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll cheer for the Mavs, if only because Phoenix has a better chance against them than the Spurs in the next round (if the Suns manage to win one of the next two games that is).

Oh, and being from Dallas there is a LITTLE bit of loyalty left. Go Mavs (for now)!

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or have the playoffs been really freaking good this year? I don't remember being near as interested in the games last year.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
They have been better indeed... All games seem to come down to 1 to 7 point victories, with a fair amount of overtimes and double overtimes.

All in all, much more enthralling than they were last year. Also, the favored teams seem to be having to come back from behind more often than not in the series, which is always entertaining.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I never watch NBA basketball, really. I'm much more of an NCAA guy.

However, I stumbled across a few interviews with LeBron James and stories about him, and I think I'm becoming a fan. Unfortunately, I don't really like anyone else on the Cavs - never liked Drew Gooden in college, either.

So, while I've started to take an interest in the game, and was rooting for the Cavs to win last night, I can't get behind the team. With college, I get to know everyone and root for the whole team to succeed - but I can't seem to do that with the NBA.

I'm hoping that the Cavs draft my college's star player Quincy Douby this year, which would give me a real reason to pay attention, but it's a long shot. I guess we'll see.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kaioshin00:
The Heat are in the conference finals!

[The Wave]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it just me, or have the playoffs been really freaking good this year?
Apparently, it's not just me.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Great article, JT. Thanks for sharing it.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good article.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Nice article.

He originally predicted the Pistons would beat the Mavs in the Finals, hell, the way things are going now, it might be the Mavs who beat the Heat in the Finals.

I have faith that the Pistons CAN break out of their three game funk and finish the Cavs, but it depends on what team shows up in Cleveland tomorrow night. Billups will have to step up and play a more frontline captain like role, the same role he's made for himself throughout the entire season. Ben Wallace showed he can do his part (minus free throws) last game, now it's time to get the mojo working again.

If the Pistons win tomorrow night, they'll win game seven back at home. But with the lack of follow through in the last week of play, I'm not convinced they'll make it that far.

Still, my dad has been telling me for the last couple days to keep the faith, it's time to go to work. Maybe he's right. Pistons have been here before. Heck, last year they came back from a 3-2 deficit in the second round and went on to play the Heat. Maybe we'll get a repeat. Though last year they didn't face a LeBron James who gains confidence with every game he plays in these playoffs. It could go either way.

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

<--- Witness
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Pistons win game six and force game seven. I think we'll pull it off in Detroit.

Now they just need to work on the free throws, my God they've stunk up the court with bad shooting these last couple games. We bill ourselves as a great shooting team, and have the stats to back it up, but you wouldn't know it from earlier tonight.

Go Pistons on Sunday!

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Every single series is going into game 7 while the Heat watch and laugh at them [Smile] . That's actually kind of bad that they have a long rest, IMO, because look what happened in game 1 with New Jersey after a similar situation.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

I kind of like the long rest they're getting, because the team is rather old. Shaq gets to rest, Zo gets time for his calf injury, Williams gets to rest his knee tendinitis, etc.

And since game 1 will probably be in Detroit, if they come out slow and lose that game, it's no big deal -- however if they would come out slow in Miami (if the Cavs win) that would be indeed be a huge deal.

But I still want to see Wade and Lebron in the conference finals.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heat were hoping that the Cavs would finish off Detroit in Game Six. They liked the rest they had, but don't want to rest for too long. They're practicing for playing the Cavs, and they remember well what their long rest did to them last year.

I think regardless of the wonders it might do for the health of the Heat, it works as an advantaget o whoever plays them.

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Good job Pistons closing out the game at home.

To the Conference finals we go.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Bring on the Heat!

Awesome blowout close to the nail biter of a series.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Watching the Cavs was like watching a Rutgers game from this year. One scorer, and the rest of the team couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

And that scorer from Rutgers (Quincy Douby) is eligible for the draft, and could possibly be available when the Cavs get their pick. If the Cavs had a second option, say an outside threat who could shoot the lights out from anywhere on the offensive side of the court, giving LeBron another option... it would definitely be a different ballgame.

I'm crossing my fingers that their scouts see it the same way, and that Douby's available when they get their choice late in the first round. I really would like an NBA team to follow, and I'm not the biggest fan of the Nets, Knicks, or Sixers (my local choices).

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

11 guys on the Cavs should be very embarassed with themselves for their performance (or lack thereof) in game 7. Ilgauskas and Hughes, especially, who are supposed to be the number 2 and 3 scorers, stunk it up.

That game was a snoozefest.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

Ha, so long Spurs!
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

And so long Clippers!

Hooray, the matchup I wanted for the Western Conf. Finals. I'd rather the Suns win (and they have a chance against the Mavs), but I'm more than willing to cheer on the Mavs in the NBA finals as well.

Poor Suns though, wonder if this series will go to 7 games as well. Something like 14 playoff games in 26 days with a 7 player rotation... Talk about attrition.

camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Poor Suns though, wonder if this series will go to 7 games as well.
I don't see that happening. The Suns just can't maintain their style of play long enough to get to a seventh game. Dallas is just too balanced offensively and defensively this year. They can compete in both a high scoring shootout and low scoring game. I say Dallas in six games, maybe even five considering how tired the Suns are going to get.

I'm much more intrigued by the Pistons-Heat series. Even though the Pistons dominated the Heat during the regular season, the fact that they had so much trouble with LeBron makes me wonder how they'll handle both Wade and Shaq. And as much as I like Flip Saunders, I just don't know if he has the ability to out-coach Pat Riley in a playoff series.

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm more worried about their rate of attrition too. They'll be playing a lot of games without more than a day of rest in between. And despite their wins in the regular season, Detroit has been....quirky in the post season.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Not really that much of a surprise. To me anyway.

Pistons shot for crap during that game.

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Thanks to the Heat defense!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Heh.

Pistons defend against Cleveland, and it's poor Cleveland offense.

Miami defends against Detroit, and it's strong Miami defense.

I'm all for credit going to where it's deserved, but only a part of that is Miami defense. 6 games in 11 days contributed to those crappy shooting percentages. They shot for crap, sometimes even with totally open shots.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

It's not a surprise that they won. It's a surprise the way they won. Wade played 27 minutes, Shaq scored 14 points, and I don't think the Pistons ever led. They better make some shots or they're in trouble.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

That's the problem with a jump shooting team -- sometimes the shots aren't going to fall. The Heat made sure the pistons were pretty much shooting all jump shots, be it open or not.

Thankfully Miami isn't a perimeter team!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Pistons were up by five at one point then pissed it away.
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Looks like Pistons will probably take game 2. I didn't realize how much I'm hoping the Heat will win the championship until now. I was a die hard Heat back in the Tim Hardaway-Alonzo Mourning days with the huge Knicks rivalry. My cousin was a die hard Knicks fan and we used to have so much fun watching the playoff series togethor. Then I got bored of basketball, started getting interested in different things and different sports. This year I was casually watching the regular season and the playoffs have just completely hooked me out of nowhere. I really want the Heat to win because I think Mourning, the Heat, and the fans deserve it afer all of these years of fighting so hard for it.

Edit: ehhhh, ok that last sentence sounded really corny. [Wink] Abd I realize the Heat are a team that have just recently been added and there are alot of teams that have been fighting alot longer for a championship, but since I'm a renewed Heat fan, the Heat deserve it more [Wink] .

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
D. Wade is just so amazing!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

quote:
I really want the Heat to win because I think Mourning, the Heat, and the fans deserve it afer all of these years of fighting so hard for it.
Preach on brotha.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't know why I'm surprised that the Pistons almost threw it away at the end there. If only that team could play at their best for an ENTIRE game, we'd never have to worry.

Should be a fun game three.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I'm curious what would happen if both teams decided to show up on the same night. Maybe we'd actually have a good game.
JoeH
Member # 5958

- posted      Profile for JoeH   Email JoeH         Edit/Delete Post 
Could the Mavs have done anything more to give game 1 away to the Suns? It reminded me of game 7 against San Antonio, except that the Mavs failed to overcome their end of the game meltdown this time.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Heat now 2-1
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I say Heat in six.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Now that was a good game.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Heat 3-1! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.