FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Age Restrictions on Hotels

Author Topic: Age Restrictions on Hotels
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I was planning on going to Texas and Six Flags along with some other things (sight-seeing, checking out a new theatre, etc.) which would take more than one day, if you include driving times, etc.

But, I'm only 18 and I wasn't sure if there were age restrictions on getting a hotel/motel room, etc. and didn't want to drive all the way down there just to find out I can't rent a room..

So, does anyone know?

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Legally they cannot turn you down as a legal adult. Sometimes it takes some yelling and screaming to convince them of that, but its true. The ACLU won law suits in Ocean City, MD (worked in several hotels there myself) for age discrimination against legal adults.

However, if there is 1 person under 18 without a legal guardian they can deny it.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
For most hotels 18 is old enough. I know for sure it is at my hotel (Hilton). But if you want to be on the safe side, you should call and make a reservation.

Where in Tejas?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you have a picture id with you when you check in. Lots of hotels and motels require them now, at least here in California. Although, funnily enough, a year and a half ago when I last attended LosCon, the hotel where it was held - right next door to LAX, (literally - we could sit in the con suite and watch the planes taxiing on one of the runways) - did not ask for id when we checked in. Go figure.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

That's crazy. A friend of mine was turned away from a hotel a few months ago because she wasn't 21 (granted, she was going to use the room for rather unwholesome purposes, so its probably for the better).

I just wasn't sure whether it was a state law or federal law or what, but apparantely its not a law at all! Crazy.

So, thanks! Six Flags here I come! (in a couple of weeks)

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Ginol_Enam:
That's crazy. A friend of mine was turned away from a hotel a few months ago because she wasn't 21 (granted, she was going to use the room for rather unwholesome purposes, so its probably for the better).

I just wasn't sure whether it was a state law or federal law or what, but apparantely its not a law at all! Crazy.

So, thanks! Six Flags here I come! (in a couple of weeks)

If it was a chain I would write a nasty letter to the corporate headquarters if I were her.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found record of the ACLU suing a Detroit Hilton for age discrimination, but no record of the result.

If I were you, I would call and make sure they will rent you a room.

When I was under 21, I was turned away from a hotel when I tried to get a room, but that was before the ACLU filed suit. Regardless, I wouldn't bet on the hotel knowing that it's against the law to turn you away.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hotels normally require a credit card for use against damages or extensive extra expenses you may make while in the room. Most credit cards are supposed to have an age limit. This may be a legal reason for them to deny you entrance. (Paying the $50 hotel room fee in cash doesn't do the hotel any good if you make $500 in long distance calls from the hotel phone, then sneak out in the morning).
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem with hotels. 18 should be fine. I don't even think I had a problem when I was 17, but of course, I was probably using my father's credit card or something.

You shouldn't have a problem with a Holiday Inn or something.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to make arrangements with a hotel in Wells, Nevada for my son and some buddies making a "road trip". I gave them my credit card number and (as I recall) a faxed note agreeing to be responsible for stuff. You might try a grey headed sponsor.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Hotels normally require a credit card for use against damages or extensive extra expenses you may make while in the room. Most credit cards are supposed to have an age limit. This may be a legal reason for them to deny you entrance. (Paying the $50 hotel room fee in cash doesn't do the hotel any good if you make $500 in long distance calls from the hotel phone, then sneak out in the morning).

I won't have a credit card, but my debit card should be in by then (yay! first checking account). I assume they function the same in that respect?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I made a reservation online when I was 18, then called after I realized that the website said you had to be 21. When I talked to the woman on the phone, she said they'd still honor the reservation, but that if there was any hint of a party going on, we'd be kicked out immediately.

Try calling ahead before you make the reservation.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Ginol_Enam:
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:

I won't have a credit card, but my debit card should be in by then (yay! first checking account). I assume they function the same in that respect?
Be careful giving debit cards to hotels. Many times they will put a hold on it just like a credit card. The difference being of course that many debit cards have daily limits, which that hold eats up. Just something else to ask about when booking a room.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys have been staying at some uptight hotels.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I made a reservation online when I was 18, then called after I realized that the website said you had to be 21. When I talked to the woman on the phone, she said they'd still honor the reservation, but that if there was any hint of a party going on, we'd be kicked out immediately.

Try calling ahead before you make the reservation.

I always try to make reservations directly with the property I will be staying at rather than using the generic 800 reservation line. Then there are no misunderstandings over anything. If I can't do that, I prefer making reservations online rather than using the 800 number, because that way I can print out a hard copy of the reservation rather than just having the confirmation number in my handwriting. That also means I will have the applicable room rates in writing, which could conceivably prevent problems as well.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.