FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Funny Da Vinci line (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Funny Da Vinci line
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There was an article about the Da Vinci Code movie in the RedEye this morning, by Katie McCollow. I just wanted to quote this part:
quote:
I jest, but to many, it's no laughing matter. Such is the case with my parents. They're deeply devout Catholoics, and the premise of the movie offends them.

We were discussing it the other night, and my dad voiced his concern that the movie might lead people to actually believe that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene.

I replied, "That's ridiculous. They didn't need a piece of paper to prove they were in love.

Jokes like that send my mom straight for the candles.

Anyway, it made me laugh out loud on the L, which is kind of embarrassing, but I thought I'd pass it on.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don't see what the problem with thinking that Jesus might have been married to Mary Magdalene would be. To me, the people who find this idea so offensive are likely betraying their own hangups.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

That's silly. If their religion claims he wasn't, then of course it's offensive to them. Duh.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
It's totally ridiculous.

Everyone knows that Jesus was married to Judas. That's why he betrayed him with a Kiss.

Mary was just a homewrecker.

(Please don't hurt me, Christians! It was just a joke!)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
The movie should be banned. I find it highly offensive. The very fact that it says that there is evidence that Jesus not only existed, but was somehow holy, shows how Dan Brown is pushing his Christian agenda on all of us.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, what I find most offensive, unChristian, and totally without viable proof, is that the decendants of Jesus and Mary are French.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the continual portrayal of albino monks as bad guys? I think it's an outrage to feed the anti-albino stereotypes that exist out there. Why can't the albino be the hero?

Think "Powder" meets "National Treasure."

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Actually, what I find most offensive, unChristian, and totally without viable proof, is that the decendants of Jesus and Mary are French.

Hehe. That one made my day.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I honestly don't see what the problem with thinking that Jesus might have been married to Mary Magdalene would be. To me, the people who find this idea so offensive are likely betraying their own hangups.
I think this statement reveals a different kind of hangup entirely. Is it possible not to 'honestly' see what the problem is? Despite appearances, I'm not accusing you of lying, Mr. Squicky. But your statement does lead me to think you're blithely dismissing the reverence many people hold for Christ as trivial.

Yes, yes, I know there are many more important things to learn and know about Christ than his marital status. But that does not mean one cannot be reasonably offended at slandering both Him and lots of Christian churches throughout the millenia without it being a 'hangup'.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're all taking the idea of the film much to seriously. In the immortal words of my father, "It's fiction for Christ's sake!"
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard that for Jewish teachers of the time period to be taken seriously, they needed to be married, hence the suggestion that Jesus must have been married in order for his teachings to have been followed.

Any historians or Jewish rabbis who can confirm or deny?

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*watches the thread teeter on the brink of serious discussion*

*takes bets*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

MC- I don't know that for sure. But one can assume that since the family was an important part of life back then that it might be. You can't really have a legitimate male heir if you're not married, can you?

So, it would indeed make sense that, for Jesus to be taken seriously, he might have needed to be married. OR, at least, he may have needed to act like he was married to create an illusion that he was.

Perhaps that is why the reputation of Mary Magdalene is so bad. Because the disciples didn't agree that he'd chosen a fitting women to be his spouse.

I've heard a number of people call someone else's girlfriend a whore before.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I don't understand how it would be slander. Being married isn't a bad thing, is it?
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Because some people believe that Jesus is God and that god is above the necesities of carnal existence. I realize how alien this concept would naturally be to a Mormon or to many other religions, but it is fairly simple.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
Because some people believe that Jesus is God and that god is above the necesities of carnal existence. I realize how alien this concept would naturally be to a Mormon or to many other religions, but it is fairly simple.

I'm Christian, but I seem to think that just because he had the ability to resist such things does not mean he exercised it.
Olivet
Member # 1104

I agree, Steve, and I'm not a Christian. It is possible that you misunderstood me. I just meant that it is fairly simple to undertsand why some Christians would feel that way. Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean I don't have the ability to imagine why someone else might agree with it, or vice versa. So, claiming I couldn't understand it would be disingenuous of me (though possibly not on the part of others who so claim).
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Because some people believe that Jesus is God and that god is above the necesities of carnal existence.
Jesus was also fully human. And married sex (which I'm assuming you mean by the necessities of carnal existence), besides being but one of the multitude of aspects of marriage, is not dirty or degrading. It's a holy, uplifting thing, both in the Jewish tradition that Jesus lived and in the Christian theology that has developed since. It's not a necessity that is forced on us (well, except if you ask St. Paul), but rather a sacred thing we choose to do.

The only way I could see people seeing Jesus being married as offensive is if they viewed some aspect of that marriage, most likely the sex, as somehow lowering him. Doctrinally, married sex would not do this, so I'm laying it on the hangup that all sex is dirty.

Olivet
Member # 1104

I don't disagree with you. I just happen to think that the inability to understand another person's point of veiw is, at best, a tremendous failure of imagination. [Big Grin]

*hangs plants from the eyebolts in her ceiling*

No sexual hang ups here. [Wink]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I thought what I was doing was explicating their point of view, not failing to understand it.

Looking at it, I think my phrasing was unclear. When I said I don't see why this would be a problem, I meant it from an objective standpoint that is taking into account the exalted nature of married sex in the relevant theologies. Obviously I understand that people who think that all sex is dirty are going to be offended when told that their deity was in a relationship that almost definitely involved sex.

Olivet
Member # 1104

Again, I don't disagree with your arguments, or, really, care one way or the other. *shrug*

I do think that if a person believes they understand something, they usually don't say that they don't. Unless maybe they want to argue (which I don't).

For example, I could say that I'm baffled by people who seem so determined to worship deities with penises. I'm not really baffled, though. Maybe I think it's illogical, and maybe I have good reasons to support that opinion.

But if I did say that, I would actually be stirring the poo. Which I have no intention of doing.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
I do think that if a person believes they understand something, they usually don't say that they don't. Unless maybe they want to argue (which I don't).
I never said I didn't understand it. I said I honestly didn't see the problem, which, since apparently my last post didn't clear this up, I did not intend as saying "I just don't get these people." but rather as "I don't see any doctrinal or objective problem with this."
Olivet
Member # 1104

*snerfle*

Dude, I'm sorry. I was just yanking your chain, trying to be hyperliteral. That's all. [Wink]

I think we agree, more or less (except all that god stuff [Wink] ) Seriously, I was just trying to be funny. At first I thought you were playing along, but now I see you thought I was really trying to bust your chops. *wince* It's a joke thread! I'm sorry.

It's just late and I was messing around. No hard feelings?

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Sure, no worries.
Olivet
Member # 1104

It's past my bedtime. I'm punchy. Like that obnoxious drunk who thinks you dig him. *wince*

Sorry.

I think the first book, the one before the Code, was actually intended to hack off the Catholics. Kind of left the albinos alone, though.

*pats neighborhood albinos*

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Like that obnoxious drunk who thinks you dig him.
Hey, you lay off Chuck. Some of us are just grateful for the attention.

[ May 19, 2006, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've heard a number of people call someone else's girlfriend a whore before.
Where in the Bible does it directly say that Mary Magdalene was a whore?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't. That's a post-biblical tradition.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:

Here here!

Hoi Hoi Hoi Hoi

(French laughter, of course)

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
Something must be wrong with me because I innitially read the thread title as "Furry Da Vinci Line" and thus avoided it like the plague (even though I was curious as to what anything in the Da Vinci Code had to do with furries).

I didn't realize my error until I came back just now.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I've heard that for Jewish teachers of the time period to be taken seriously, they needed to be married, hence the suggestion that Jesus must have been married in order for his teachings to have been followed.

Any historians or Jewish rabbis who can confirm or deny?

It was generally the case, though there were exceptions. They were notable, however. It didn't pass without comment.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by SteveRogers:
MC- I don't know that for sure. But one can assume that since the family was an important part of life back then that it might be. You can't really have a legitimate male heir if you're not married, can you?

Perhaps, but that wasn't the reason. One reason is that men are a lot more easily distracted by women if they aren't settled down. Another is that, as you say, the family is (and was) the center of Jewish life. It's the fundamental social assumption of the Torah.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Celaeno:
Something must be wrong with me because I innitially read the thread title as "Furry Da Vinci Line" and thus avoided it like the plague (even though I was curious as to what anything in the Da Vinci Code had to do with furries).

I didn't realize my error until I came back just now.

Sounds like a dobie waiting to happen...
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it is not only the married thing. Perhaps it is the assertion that instead of dying on the cross and atoning for all mankind, Jesus ran off to France.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem I have with the idea that Jesus was married doesn't have much to do with sex. It has more to do with the idea of him having a wife. I believe that I am more important to my husband than any other person on this earth, and he is more important to me than any other person on earth. I don't like the idea that Jesus was married because that would raise favoritism issues, and He's supposed to be the savior of us all--no special treatment. And if she wasn't more important to him, than it's not really fair to marry her.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
The problem I have with the idea that Jesus was married doesn't have much to do with sex. It has more to do with the idea of him having a wife. I believe that I am more important to my husband than any other person on this earth, and he is more important to me than any other person on earth. I don't like the idea that Jesus was married because that would raise favoritism issues, and He's supposed to be the savior of us all--no special treatment. And if she wasn't more important to him, than it's not really fair to marry her.

Well Christians believe that Jesus was fully human and fully God, correct? What if the human loved the wife, but the God part had no favorites?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Jesus didn't have a multiple-personality disorder. If He was married, then He was married. All parts.

There aren't actions that are attributable only to his human side or his God side. He was both human and God at the same time, there is no half of him does this and half does the other.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Nah. Still a raw deal for Mary.

"Gee, Mary, I love you and all, but I've gotta go die for the sins of all mankind, leaving you to fend for yourself. Sorry."

katharina
Member # 827

I wouldn't have any problem with Jesus being married (but then, I think God is married), but I think that Christianity is undercut completely if the cross and the atonement never happened.

Retiring to France = No atonement, no central act of Christianity. The Da Vinci Code doesn't need the married angle to deny Christ's divinity.

I think it's a bit of fluff, though, and not really worried. If Christianity can survive Who Is This God Person Anyway, it can survive The Da Vinci Code.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I tuned into Hatrack today specifically to ask this question, and here it is on the front page. I really don't (or didn't) understand the problem with believing Jesus might have been married; I don't understand how that could diminish Him or "disprove Christianity". Thanks, y'all, for shedding a little light on the subject.

I'm in the "He was fully God and fully man" camp, so he would (in this mortal life) do all the things a man would do (except sin, of course). I don't have a problem with the idea of a married Jesus; I don't see how it could take away from His divinity. But when I've discussed this with other Christians before, they are shocked and can't even put a coherent thought together, as if I've just suggested Jesus was a murderer or something.

But I do understand Katarain's concern that he might "play favorites". At least that makes a little bit of sense.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

[Big Grin] Well, I am pleased to at least make a little bit of sense. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
quote:
Because some people believe that Jesus is God and that god is above the necesities of carnal existence.
Jesus was also fully human. And married sex (which I'm assuming you mean by the necessities of carnal existence), besides being but one of the multitude of aspects of marriage, is not dirty or degrading. It's a holy, uplifting thing, both in the Jewish tradition that Jesus lived and in the Christian theology that has developed since. It's not a necessity that is forced on us (well, except if you ask St. Paul), but rather a sacred thing we choose to do.

The only way I could see people seeing Jesus being married as offensive is if they viewed some aspect of that marriage, most likely the sex, as somehow lowering him. Doctrinally, married sex would not do this, so I'm laying it on the hangup that all sex is dirty.

Married sex is, in fact, commanded (for those who have married, that is).

I don't find the concept of Jesus being married offensive. Any offensiveness for me (and it's not much, since this is a rather silly piece of fiction*) stems from the accusation that the Church would kill to keep it a secret.

Or, as Kat put it, "I think it's a bit of fluff, though, and not really worried. If Christianity can survive Who Is This God Person Anyway, it can survive The Da Vinci Code."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

I can see where the Catholic church is coming from from that point of view Dagonee. Anytime you start talking about secret organizations conspiring against the rest of the world, all sorts of rumors and myths can start up. The Elders of Zion ring a bell in my mind as something similar.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Catholic Church would do a better service to itself if it ignored the Divinci Code instead of give it free press.

I have never been a fan of the Catholic Church. I was raised Mormon and the Catholic Church was simply not true in my mind. I still don't think it is the "True Church," but lately I have grown to appreciate it.

I was never one for Popes or Prophets and was dismissive of the Pope in my ignorance.

Recently my wife checked out Karol at the library. If you want a full review with spoilers from the director of the Office for Film & Broadcasting of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, you can read it here.

I was very touched and moved. I can see why so many people want to make the last Pope a Saint. We cried as we watched it. It gave me a renewed faith in the human spirit. I never knew Pope John Paul the II was really named Karol. I knew nothing of his life--except that the Russians tried to assassinate him and that the church has a lot of fancy pomp (in my mind).

If the movie is only half accurate, then Karol truly was a great man who embodied a great philosophy and love for life. If the Catholic Church would focus more on movies like Karol instead of hack novels like the Divinci Code, I think more people would stay focused on Christ-like Love and not conspiracy theories.

EDIT: It helps that Ennio Morricone did the soundtrack! I love his work. My wife got the movie not knowing it was about the Pope. I watched it for the soundtrack. We both loved the movie.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

I think it would totally suck to be married to God. I never could stand to date guys whose job/calling was more important to them than I was. *shrug* I admit I'm selfish. [Big Grin]

Edit: Also, I think lem is right, and not just about the Catholic Church. There are few religions that wouldn't benefit from emphasizing the positives rather than stroking out over the negatives.

katharina
Member # 827

*instantly feels guilty for the slightly-dirty thought that popped into her head*
Olivet
Member # 1104

I was going to say "going apoplectic" but I can't spell it. [Frown]
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Add me to the list of Catholics who would not be at all bothered if Jesus had been married. I kind of hope He was, actually. I would ike to think that He had that particular joy.

As for carnal necessities - well, we know He ate and drank.

And as for "playing favorites", He did choose disciples.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.