FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The look on Tom Hanks's face ...

Author Topic: The look on Tom Hanks's face ...
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2727969

This video is hosted on iFilm because of what Ian McKellan says about the bible. But I think it's far funnier that the interviewer (is that Matt Lauer?) clearly has never read The Da Vinci Code, and doesn't even know what the controversy is about. When he misstates it, they do this cut to Tom Hanks, who is looking at him like, "Are you a giant moron?" It's a great moment [Smile]

I mean, come on, you're conducting an interview about a novel that has a huge following, and you're addressing a controversy that millions of people are aware of and passionate about ... and you don't even do the most elementary research?

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
???

It sounds like he nailed the controversy pretty much on the head. Much of what I've heard has been from a perspective of people not having read the book and just being scandalized by the very idea that Jesus and Mary Magdelene might've had children.

I guess there's a quibble over whether those children may have been conceived pre- or post-crucifixion -- I haven't heard it stated EXACTLY as Lauer said it.

Frankly, I think Tom Hanks was just mugging for the camera. Being sort of funny.

Like "oh? There's a controversy???"

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
that is *extremely* funny.

*extremely*

I also notice that someone else starts to laugh at Ian McKellan's statement and sort of cuts the laugh short, almost as if they agreed but didn't want to be caught expressing such a controversial opinion.

edit: Bob, Matt Lauer clearly says that the controversy is that "jesus didn't die on the cross, and wasn't resurrected" which isn't something discussed or even HINTED at in the book.

[ May 21, 2006, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Lauer says"

"If christ survived the crucifixion, he did not die for our sins, and therefore wasn't resurrected"

I don't remember any of that in the book. He also didn't mention anything about the continued lineage, or Jesus' marriage, or any of the bits of the book that are "controversial".

He either badly mispoke, badly misread, or was badly misinformed by his information prep people.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Lauer made an enormous ass of himself on national television, but I find the comments on the video funnier than the video itself.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I also don't recall anything from the book even hinting that Jesus didn't die on the cross.

There was lots of talk that he wasn't the Son of God, that he was just a man, etc., but why would have have to have not been crucified to be married and have a child(ren)?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The book is based a lot on Holy Blood Holy Grail, which does suggest that. So rather than Lauer not having read Brown's book, it's possible that he read it and HBHG, and just didn't remember which parts were only in HBHG.

But giving the benefit of the doubt isn't nearly as fun, so don't let me get in your way.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my thought. The idea that Jesus didn't die is put forth in HBHG. Maybe he did too much research and should have just stuck to the novel.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Hanks responds "Was that in the book?" before the camera cuts to his face.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I also don't recall anything from the book even hinting that Jesus didn't die on the cross.

There was lots of talk that he wasn't the Son of God, that he was just a man, etc., but why would have have to have not been crucified to be married and have a child(ren)?

That's right- The really amusing thing to me about this whole "controversy" (as if it's a new thing...), is that people on the one hand rail on about how they don't believe the book, and then on the other hand try and get people to dismiss it out of hand-- after they have already acknowledged that it is important to them.

All ye christians and secularists and athiests and Agnostics and Jews and Shintoists and Zen buddhists out there, can't we just read a book that is about something without freaking each other out over whether we believe in it or not? Haven't you ever read something you disagreed with, (or agreed with) and not run around like a chicken with its head cut off, telling people about it? This whole thing baffles me, both sides do.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
All ye christians and secularists and athiests and Agnostics and Jews and Shintoists and Zen buddhists out there, can't we just read a book that is about something without freaking each other out over whether we believe in it or not?
You say that as though we all freaked out about it. Not all of us did.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

your right- all you freak-outers, stop that!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

???
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
???

???
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
all you freak-outers, stop that!
This should be Hatrack's motto. That is of course, assuming we are defining motto as "something everyone believes but rarely ever follows (at least until the 2nd day of the thread.)"
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can attest to m_p_h's non-freak outness. We had a long discussion about it on GC and I was starting to get quite freaked out at how not freaked out he was. But he's right that He couldn't have conceived children after being resurrected. Still doesn't make me want to run out and read the book or see the movie. :sigh: I have so much to do. [Cry]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.