FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » X Men The Last Stand (Spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: X Men The Last Stand (Spoilers)
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if someone mentioned this before, but I thought I should share. Remember the part when Kitty tried to trap Juggernaut in the ground and he looked at her and said, "Don't you know who I am...? I'm the juggernaut, bitch!" A friend who I saw the movie with laughed quite hard before he even finished the line. Why? Because apparently he was the only one in the whole place who got the rather obscure reference to this: (foul language and adult themes warning)
The Juggernaut Bitch

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
The dude with boobs-I mean, androgynous chick was Arclight!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
My theater was screaming for the Snakes on a Plane trailer before it even said Snakes. We all started cheering when we heard the rattlesnake noise. I was a bit annoyed that some of my friends were more excited by the SoaP trailer than the actual movie, even after they saw it. I admit to being excited about SoaP, and that the movie wasn't exactly stellar, but it was pretty decent, even with all it's flaws.

Gaal -

I think you're a bit mistaken on the X-Men not being that powerful. Storm is arguably one of the strongest mutants on the planet when she's pissed off. Xavier tends to be fairly liberal in his recruiting, but when it comes to the actual team, he picks the most powerful from his students to be X-Men. And I agree, I loved it when Magneto defended Xavier. That was in character. Magneto is portrayed as a lot more cold and heartless in the movies than I think he is in the rest of X-Men lore.

I'm glad the movie is doing well at the box office though. There's too much story left to tell for it to die here.

Edit to add:

The line that got the biggest laugh at my theater was when Xavier was explaining how Jean survived the flood. The whole "her mind must have wrapped her body in a cocoon of telekinetic energy" or whatever was just so over the top that the whole audience busted out laughing.

I think that highlights one of the major problems with the movie: It doesn't respect the viewer. For people who've actually read the comics or seen the cartoon, what the Phoenix is and how it all works, and who all the characters are already makes sense. But for someone who doesn't already know all the background, it's awful. The explanation of the Phoenix is half-assed, and done with the expectation that the viewer will take on faith all the gibberish that Xavier spews. Angel's character is glossed over, and as far as I'm concerned looks just like either a cheap CGI trick, or an excuse to show off Ben Foster's abs.

It treats the viewer like an idiot, who doesn't deserve the respect of the filmmaker. I'm willing to take quite a bit of crap on faith in these types of movies, but this was over the top.

"What? Protective Cocoon? Well okay...wait, what happened to Cyclops? He's dead? Well okay...wait, who the hell are all these new people? And where'd Rogue go? And who is the guy with wings? And why'd Phoenix kill Xavier? What? None of the answers to those questions matter? Well I'd think that...oooh pretty lights!! CGI is fancy, I'm impressed by the shiny and the sparkly....ahhh"

It's like it was written for an audience of eight year olds.

[ May 28, 2006, 04:28 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
1. I'm not sure I believe Scott is dead. My rule for movies is I have to see the actual death, with eyes glazing over and the whole nine yards, or I have to see the dead body. And sometimes not even then. Jean's crazy ass saying, "oh my God, I killed him" isn't enough for me.

2. The Brotherhood clearly didn't have that many powerful mutants. I mean, when Pufferfish Man is in Magneto's inner circle, we're clearly not dealing with the creme of the crop. But I was rather dissapointed that, when they were fighting the X-men, many of the Brotherhood seemed to have no powers whatsoever.

3. On the topic of crappy mutations, I'd be interested to see a sub-plot about mutants who have all of the downside (freakish appearances, horrible weaknesses) with no powers. Is the cure permissible then?

4. They did a great job making Jean look freakin' terrifying when she was in Phoenix mode.

5. About the right number of characters, way too many living props.

6. Magneto came off in this movie to me as Hitler. As others have pointed out, it doesn't do justice to the character. Also, not even a particularly smart Hitler.

7. Kelsey Grammer was an awesome Beast. I was skeptical when I heard about it, but he fit the part very well.

8. The title should have been X Men 3: Wolverine Gets Sensitive.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, she said only Magneto and Pyro were lvl 3 mutants...what ever that means
That means the special effects budget was low or the writers were too lazy to come up with good ideas. Probably both.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
There *are* different level mutants even in the comic books, although they use terms like alpha and omega level.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
No, the girl in the church said that Magneto and Pyro were the only murants STRONGER than a level 3 in the whole group.

Also, Magneto said at the beginning of the batttle that he had recruited cannon fodder, basically, so it isn't suprising that most of the mutants were weak.

[ May 30, 2006, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the difference in power levels was adequately explained in the movie. But that doesn't mean the movie wouldn't be a whole lot better if the mutant v. mutant fights (which is the bread and butter of the X-men franchise) were portrayed with more gusto and imagination.

Of course there are weak mutants with low level powers. But given the gravity of the situation, one would think Magneto would be able to attract a much better group of mutants.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
OrangePenguin, some of us were looking for more from that movie than a cool display of various mutant powers.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The explanation of the Phoenix is half-assed, and done with the expectation that the viewer will take on faith all the gibberish that Xavier spews.
I don't know the comics, and I'm not sure that I care to, but I thought Xavier's explanation was adequate. The cocoon of energy bit was over the top, but come on, I'm supposed to take it on faith that Bobby can turn into a walking ice cube? It's a superhero movie, within those realms, the explanation was fine.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a fine explanation, it's just ridiculous that he gave it all in a 10-minute infodump that was never mentioned again. Especially after they went to all the trouble of having the prologue scene.

That's just bad storytelling.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Someone on YouTube did a new version of the X-3 teaser, only using images from "Pryde of the X-Men", the unsold pilot for an unproduced "X-Men" animated series back in 1989. It was eerie how well the soundtrack and images matched. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
X-3 posts record box office.

I'm guessing sequel.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It was like Michael Jackson!
No way! It was Prince! No question.

I agree with all the major complaints, but still enjoyed the movie.

I didn't see the extra scene after the credits, but I'm relieved Prof. X is alive. I also didn't see Psylocke, but noticed she was credited. Considering she was the hottest X-man in history, I think I'd have noticed her in this movie.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

JT, she was the Asian chick with the purple streaks in her hair who was with the Brotherhood.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, she's definitely not hot enough to be Psylocke. Then again, I'm not sure there's a woman alive who's hot enough.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Um, me. Duh. [Wink]

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

You do have boobs that you can make out with, right?
pH
Member # 1350

I guess I could make out with my own boobs, but...I don't think that's really the point.

-pH

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
But I'm still a girl! I'm not one of your guy friends that just happens to have boobs that you can make out with.
>_>

<_<

pH
Member # 1350

Well, why didn't you just say you wanted to make out with my boobs?

-pH

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has definitely not gotten off topic. [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

Can someone who read the comics briefly explain about the comics version of Phoenix please? I thought that Phoenix was something that inhabited Jean and not Jean herself. I think I heard that somewhere.

And out of curiousity, which mutant do you think you can relate to the most?

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Which mutant in the movies, or which mutant out of all the comics?

-pH

Dagonee
Member # 5818

************ Spoilers for the comic book ************, as we later found it happened, not as revealed in the comic book.

The X-Men were in space during a solar flare of some kind. Jean was the only person who could shield herself from the radiation and pilot the shuttle. The rest of the X-Men hid in a lined chamber to stay safe.

Jean was going to die in the shuttle when a cosmic entity known as the Phoenix made a deal: Jean would be wrapped in a cocoon at the bottom of Jamaica Bay (in NY) to heal while Phoenix took over Jean's life.

The entity everyone knew as Jean after that incident was the Phoenix impersonating Jean, a perfect copy of memories and body but still a distinct entity. The Phoenix did not retain its prior memories after the imprinting.

Gradually Phoenix/Jean became more powerful, with the template copy of Jean sometimes shutting down the Phoenix's powers when it got too scary.

At this point, Phoenix Jean is very powerful - able to demolish a car and reconstruct it, rearrange the molecules of her clothes to become her uniform, control unconscious people as puppets while still carrying on a normal conversation.

A villain known as Mastermind created an alternate life, presented as flashbacks from a prior existence, designed to release Jean's inhibitions. He does so, unleashing Dark Phoenix, a being dedicated to and overwhelmed by human sensation (something the Phoenix was not capable of before taking Jean as a template).

She beats the X-Men, rendering them unconscious, then flies under her own power to another galaxy where she devours the sun of an inhabited planet, killing billions.

She comes back to earth to defeat the X-Men once and for all, but they (with the template Jean's help) manage to set up psychic circuit breakers to dampen Phoenix's power. The empress of the galaxy where she killed the planet comes to sentence Phoenix Jean to death. The X-Men demand trial by combat, which they ultimately lose. But, when Cyclops is struck down, Phoenix is unleashed and the X-Men realize the universe is unsafe while Phoenix lives. They battle Phoenix, who ultimately takes her own life with the X-Men's help.

The part of Jean Gray which the Phoenix used as a template returned to Jean in her cocoon, who rejected it because of the horrible things she had done. That portion then flew to a clone of Jean that had been made years earlier by another villain. This clone was named Madeline Pryor, and a residue of the Phoenix force resided latent in her. Madeline meets and marries Scott Summers, who thinks Jean is really dead. Madeline and Scott have a baby, Nathan Christopher Charles Summer.

Meanwhile, Jean recovers in her cocoon. She is found by the Avengers, restored, and joins up with Cyclops, Angel, Beast, and Iceman to form X-Factor. Cyclops abandons Madeline and doesn't tell Jean he's married for a long while.

Ultimately, Madeline comes into her power and sets the X-Men against X-Factor to get revenge on Scott and Jean. Madeline dies, and the residual memories of Jean that were taken by the Phoenix finally return to Jean. She then remembers everything the Phoenix did as if she did it.

The Phoenix power itself eventually joined with Jean's daughter from an alternate timeline, Rachel. At some point she goes to the far future, where Apocalypse has taken over. The present-day Apocalypse infected Scott's sun with a techno-organic virus which was incurable. Rachel comes back to the past to take the child to the future where he can be saved.

She later takes Jean and Scott's psychic selves to the future to raise the child, who becomes Cable, a warrior who travels back in time to prevent the rise of Apocalypse and other villains.

Got that? [Big Grin]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Oh, and in recent storylines (2000 +), the Phoenix is discovered to be a cosmic protector who is bound to Jean. Jean gets powers again - it's not clear if she's inhabited by the Phoenix or not - and then is killed by Magneto.
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Cyclops abandons Madeline and doesn't tell Jean he's married for a long while.
...and then Jean stabs him with a spork.

-pH

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Morrison has said that Phoenix is the reality...Jean Grey is just the house where the goddess (his term) lives.

He also revealed that other beings around the universe have (or at least in potential alternate timelines have) become the Phoenix.

He stated in his view, the reason why Jean has "died" and come back so many times is that the Phoenix Force is like the mythical Phoenix...destroying itself only to be renewed.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, if I didn't respect your honesty, I'd say you pulled that directly out of your lower intestine. It sounds like stream of consciousness stuff.

That's pretty sad.

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Dag is the nerdiest person on this thread. I'm a little jealous, and I'm definitely taking my huges boxes of comics with me the next time I go to my parents' house.
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to imply Dag is sad - I think it's cool he knows that. [Big Grin] What's sad is that the storyline reads like something I'd have written at 12.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that a lot of that came about because they (meaning Marvel or individual writers) kept bringing her back. First she emerged as Phoenix and had the dramatic, emotional, mythic ending. Then they brought her back again, saying oh, that wasn't really Jean. Then when they killed her off again they brought in Madeline and left it open for awhile if she was maybe Jean revived or something...

This and other "write a cool story, we'll make it make sense later" storylines is why I stopped reading X-Men around ish 175 or so and didn't pick any up again until the Ultimate series (whcih has been so-so) and Whedon's Astonishing line (which has been great, IMO, probably because it reads like he got fed up around the same time I did).

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Just came back from seeing the movie.

Ehh.

Cool effects, lotsa fights, most everyone got a good line or two. But ultimately, ehh.

The Dark Phoenix story, before they got really stupid with it (see above), was epic. She was a dark goddess, one with full control of her abilities and uncanny insight into her previous teammates. Here, she was a supremely powerful zombie-Jean who mostly stood around unless she was having a hissy fit.

I enjoyed the movie, but I doubt I'll watch it again terribly often. Here are the things that stood out for me, pro and con:

-- I liked seeing Charles and Eric visiting the Greys. nice scene, good setup for their later differences.
-- I hated the Scott/Jean/Logan love triangle, in the previous movies and especially in this one. In the comics this was a thread, yes, but it developed over years. In the movies Wolverine has spent how much time with Jean, exactly? A few days? As much as a week? How dare Wolverine compare his loss to Scott's?
-- Scott. What a completely wasted character, in every sense of the term. He's noble, overly responsible, a master tactician, skilled with various uses of his eyeblasts, deeply in love with Jean, utterly loyal to Prof. X, and terrified that he'll hurt somebody. Mostly we saw a whiny guy who blasted things once in a while, and I have to blame that on the writers and directors.
-- Scott's death. Well, he's been relegated to supporting character, why not kill him offscreen? He'd just be in the way of this great Jean/Logan love affair anyway and we're paying Jackman more, he needs more screen time.
-- I liked Mystique, in all the movies. Seriously cool character. I was suprised, though... when she's human and spilling her guts on camera, they somehow made her look frumpy. How?
-- Disliked the sloppy editing. Here's the convoy. Here's the president. Here's the conference. Here's the convoy. Here's Cyclops on a bike. Here's the convoy. Did we need all of that?
-- Liked the Danger Room sequence. About time!
-- Why is Colossus super-strong when he's not metal?
-- Liked Kitty. Would have liked to see more Kitty/Peter interaction, or, you know, any.
-- Really liked Beast. Kelsey Grammer was perfect, both as a dignified diplomat and as a brawler.
-- Didn't see the point of Angel, alias Plot Device Boy.
-- Liked Juggernaut, and Kitty's battle with him.
-- Like the abandonment of Mystique. "She was so beautiful..."
-- Really liked Magneto's defense of Xavier.
-- In fact, liked Magneto most of the time, apart from some really stupid moves (see below).
-- Didn't like the never-before-hinted-at split personality thing for Jean. Very tacked-on feeling.
-- The Rogue-Bobby-Kitty thing? Ehh. Rogue was cooler in the last movie.
-- The big battle? Well... If Magneto can pick up the Golden Gate Bridge, why didn't he just pick up the medical facility and shake it a few times?
Why did he just stand there during the battle, when he could easily have wiped out the opposing army by himself? Or, for that matter, floated around back while the army was engaged in front? Heck, why not just drop the damn bridge on top of the place?
-- Hated the really sloppy editing. Magneto drops a bridge on the island in daylight. Then, in pitch blackness, he steps forward. Did he just stand there looking all majestic and stuff while he waited for the proper dramatic setting?
-- Liked the fastball special(s). Yay!
-- Hated the final Jean/Logan scene, mostly for the reasons above (supposed to be killed by the love of her life, not some bozo she's known for less than the life of a gallon of milk) but also because removing all the meat from Logan's bones wouldn't be that tough compared to what she was doing around him. His healing ability seems awful selective as to how fast it wants to work sometimes.
-- Wow, Storm sure is a cold bitch. Talking of killing Jean without appearing the last bit torn up about it, and hitting the other girl with lightning over and over and over...
-- "I'm the only one who can stop her!" Really? How about that bald kid that just went by? You know, the one who neutralizes mutant ability? Even if he wasn't powerful enough to stop her completely, he sure as heck could have dampened her somewhat.
-- Xavier's death, and subsequent post-credits revival. Guess he solved that pesky ethical problem, huh.
-- Magneto's powers returning. Bad enough that comics really leave a startling change actually changed. How can I feel the impact of an event when I know it'll be reversed later? Although I'd be really interested in seeing what happens if Mystique regains her powers. Would she rejoin Eric, no hard feelings? Or would he have a much more dangerous enemy?

Overall I felt the same way I feel about Smallville: cute, fun to watch, easy to heckle, but I still feel let down that so many great possibilities were ignored for an easy and shallow story. Little shoutouts to the fans are offered instead of the powerful, multi-layered love story it was drawn from. It was an entertaining summer movie, and nothing more.

[ May 29, 2006, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
The editing bugged me too. Why do we need FOUR sweeping shots of forest? After we get into it, we really don't need the same shot to say 'we're back here now!' Why can't we just start a scene where the scene is?

And not even trying to use the kid to drain Pheonix's powers? That's a plot hole you could drive a truck through.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
If Magneto can pick up the Golden Gate Bridge, why didn't he just pick up the medical facility and shake it a few times?
Why did he just stand there during the battle, when he could easily have wiped out the opposing army by himself? Or, for that matter, floated around back while the army was engaged in front? Heck, why not just drop the damn bridge on top of the place?

"I'm the only one who can stop her!" Really? How about that bald kid that just went by? You know, the one who neutralizes mutant ability? Even if he wasn't powerful enough to stop her completely, he sure as heck could have dampened her somewhat.

Add these to the "Oh there's a damn cracking, the water temperature is in the 40s, and we've got a mutant who can make ice. Whatever shall we do?" reaction from X-2.

quote:
Would she rejoin Eric, no hard feelings? Or would he have a much more dangerous enemy?
In the comics Mystique HATES Magneto - she set up a competing brotherhood. She also worked for the government for a good long while, first in Freedom Force then in X-Factor.

I hope they go that route.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Dag is the nerdiest person on this thread. I'm a little jealous, and I'm definitely taking my huges boxes of comics with me the next time I go to my parents' house.

[Big Grin]

The sad thing is that each story was usually very good once you could push aside "they're bringing her back again."

Seen all together, it's a joke.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Which means it's time for the Armchair Director to step in!

Let the movie open as it did.
When Wolverine stops Scott and pushes on how they have to get past Jean's death, let Scott blast him a few times. Let us see that a) Scott is not handling things very well, and b) he's a powerful mutant who can take out Wolverine (as he has in the past). Afterwards, when someone makes him stop, he can say the "not everyone heals" line.
They hear of the cure, Storm does her "it's not a disease" bit, but Rogue blows up at her instead of being more or less dazed the whole movie. "At least you can touch someone, feel them touch you! Of course you like it, you're better than human. Some of us are less."
Scott hears Jean, goes to see the lake, she arises. Not as Dark Phoenix, but as SuperJean, more powerful than before.
He brings her back to the mansion, where she explains how she must have protected herself. Just before the flood hit she felt so powerful, she doesn't know why. Xavier explains to her about the shunts he placed in her mind. She's not sure how to feel about that, and neither is Scott.
Angel escapes from his father, flies to the mansion.
Magneto collects powerful mutants, let that subplot go as it was.
With Angel's information on what's goiung on, the X-Men are proactive, helping to subdue riots at the clinic and trying to track down Magneto's army. Jean is immensely powerful, and it's getting to her a bit. We see some of the wild side. Scott is deliriously happy; he has her back, we get lots of romance. Logan is a bit disgruntled and continues to flirt with her, and is surprised when she flirts back.
The Mystique rescue, as seen. Except Jean and Logan arrive to prevent it. In the battle Jean loses control and we see the Phoenix effect for the first time. Magneto and minions get away, barely. Jean jumps Logan who goes along with it until she calls herself Phoenix and he pulls away. She is confused and asks for Scott when the surviving guard shoots her with the cure. She stops it mentally and goes totally Dark Phoenix on the guard, killing him. "HOw dare you!" and so forth. She flies off.
Wolverine gets back to the mansion and fills them in.
The X-Men fly off to stop Magneto's army. Much like before except Xavier and Scott are there. Scott is yelling tactics, trying not to think about where Jean is, and Xavier is fighting Magneto with Magneto's own minions. After a grueling battle they win, except Jean shows up in full Dark Phoenix garb and takes them all out with ease. Including Xavier, whom she blasts big time (kills, if we really must). She's ready to blow the place up but Wolverine and Scott work together; Wolverine distracts her while Scott gets closer, and Scott and Jean have a moment where we can see Jean fighting to regain control. She tells Scott what he has to do while she can keep her defenses down and, screaming, he blasts her.
Epilogue - Scott has to leave for awhile. Storm takes over as leader. Keeping the school open is made easier because Angel is rich and offers to underwrite it. And life goes on.

All in all, dump some extraneous scenes and add in the fifteen minutes to make it a 2 hour movie, and this could have happened. Or something better, I'm not a screenwriter. But at the end I would have cried for Scott, I would have cared for Jean as a person, I would have felt Rogue's anguish, I would have felt Wolverine's pain at being an outsider to a relationship once again. The characters would have had some depth.

My two cents.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
When Wolverine stops Scott and pushes on how they have to get past Jean's death, let Scott blast him a few times. Let us see that a) Scott is not handling things very well, and b) he's a powerful mutant who can take out Wolverine (as he has in the past).
Make someone have to stop Wolverine from tearing Scott apart afterward, though.

quote:
Scott is yelling tactics, trying not to think about where Jean is, and Xavier is fighting Magneto with Magneto's own minions.
Yes. They've never shown Scott as a tactician. It's the heart of his character. Otherwise he's no different from a guy with a big gun in battle.

quote:
She tells Scott what he has to do while she can keep her defenses down and, screaming, he blasts her.
Even better, have her do the eye thing holding back his power and then stop holding it back while they stare into each other's eyes.

I assume the reason they didn't have Rogue in the battle was because they couldn't think of a way for her to use her powers in it. They really needed to have her totally absorb a flying super strong near-invulnerable mutant at some point - preferably in X-2 - so she can participate in battles AND we can see the two minds in one body thing.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

One of my favorite comics was one where Scott took out all of the X-Men, one after another. He knew their weaknesses, he knew how they fight, and he's no slouch himself.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

That said, I never liked the inconsistency of Scott being the one to teach hand-to-hand instead of Wolverine, and never liked Scott being able to take out Wolverine physically in early Claremont continuity. Before Claremont got ahold of him, Wolverine went toe-to-toe with the Hulk.

Wheedon had it right - Scott hits Wolverine with everything because he can without killing him, sends Wolverine flying out of arm's reach, and keeps pounding him from afar.

Up close, Wolverine tears him apart.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Nod. In an earlier issue (Savage Land, maybe around the 120's?) Scott eyeblasted Wolverine against a wall and kept doing it. Same deal.

However, I wouldn't have Wolverine teach hand to hand because for the most part, he hasn't needed to know it himself. Does he even know any formal martial arts or fighting methods he could teach someone without claws? I always had the impression his moves were instinctual, animalistic. I like the way he fought in the first two movies; no real style at all, just get in there and slash until you win.

BTW - it's "Whedon," unless you're being extremely gleeful.

Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, I know that the production of X3 was rushed, but if you can come up with that off the top of your head, how the hell do those screen writers keep getting work? (Especially after Elektra, F4, Inspector Gadget, etc.)

I personally would have liked it if they kept the whole cure thing mysterious with rumours being that it was a mutant-derived "anti-mutation". And then it turns out to be a Sentinel production facility. The final solution to the mutant problem. But I like robots. (And short sentences.)

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
I was absolutely shocked about Rogue. She was such an interesting character in the first movie, and she took a side role with the 'kids' in the second movie, only to give up her powers. The mutant cure doesn't work, so I'm seeing Rogue kissing Iceman to his death. What absolutely shocked me the most is that she wasn't in the final battle. I thought that she would be the one, rampantly insecure about herself and the lack of control over her powers, that would stop the pheonix. Or, if not Rogue, than the bald kid would neutralize her.

I also was surprised that the phenix was more of a multible personality than a cosmic being... It would have been so interesting to see the personalities switch back and forth, and have gone in depth with the disease.

Another thing I was confused about is when Mystic gave the plans to the government... How would she know about the all-new base when she was in prison... And even if she did know, and it was prexesting information, how did Magneto know the soldiers were coming? This had so much potential for more of Mystique (A favortie of mine) To kind of do a undercover op... She wouldn't be able to change shapes, but at least she would have been in the movie... But how could she? There were so many differant characters... Angel, who was in the movie for all of two seconds, and Shadowcat, and Collosus, and Juggernaut (Who was Xavior's Half brother, wasn't he?)

Anyway, I liked it, but still, it should have been two movies, or maybe three. If not, they should have weaned out some characters... And a couple of things in responce to previous posts:

1. The 'pawns' were not weak... They were shot with the darts before they attacked the X-men Full force.

2. Storm was certainly never portrayed as weak. But I do think she should have a bigger part.

3. That one chick totally did look like prince!

4. There is a prequel in its second draft involving the wolverine... And they certianly did leave it open for a fifth movie, which would be the continuation of the first three.

5. Before 1993 (Somewhere around there) Jean Grey had been killed three times, and Scott had been killed twice... And I think that was excluding deaths in alternate universes and timestreams.

6. What is 'Peanut Butter Jelly Time?'. I have a friend who used to randomly scream it.

7. Although I always thought he was a lame character, but I was surprised that Gambit wasn't in this movie.

8. Although it was a good movie, It did have some serious plot problems, i.e. Obvious cover-ups, chilche scenes supposed to be I guess 'moving.'

Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does he even know any formal martial arts or fighting methods he could teach someone without claws?
Thanks to Claremont, Wolverine knows everything. He's a master samurai, a helicopter pilot, a sushi chef, and a salad shooter.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Before 1993 (Somewhere around there) Jean Grey had been killed three times, and Scott had been killed twice... And I think that was excluding deaths in alternate universes and timestreams.
The first "death" lasted one issue - the shuttle going down, the X-Men coming up, Jean staying down.

On the first page of the next issue, she rises up from the water as Phoenix.

The second death was during the trial by combat.

What was the third prior to 1993?

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't a person wear armor made from the same stuff as the lenses of Scott's glasses and be completely immune to his energy-based attacks?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Couldn't a person wear armor made from the same stuff as the lenses of Scott's glasses and be completely immune to his energy-based attacks?
Yes.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Point of order. Frank Miller made Wolverine a samurai.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Good point. Although, in my defense, Frank Miller makes everyone a samurai. Or a prostitute. Except for the samurai prostitutes

The only thing I'm finding interesting right now about his current take on Batman, in fact, is how it -- perhaps deliberately, perhaps not -- throws into sharp relief how incredibly distorted, violent, and inhuman his caricatured stereotypes usually are.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I'm having the same reaction these days to Brian Michael Bendis that I did to Frank Miller back in the day: amazement at the fresh look he brings to the table, wonder at how he reinvents heroes while still bringing their essence into sharp relief, and ultimately annoyance because he keeps doing the same thing, over and over, and it ain't fresh anymore.
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::hugs geeks::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.