FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Batwoman, DC's first "buxom lipstick lesbian" super-hero...

Author Topic: Batwoman, DC's first "buxom lipstick lesbian" super-hero...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
...or so she was described in Sunday's issue of the New York Times.

Now, I'm a clueless Mormon, so I need a term defined:

"lipstick lesbian"- What does that mean? She never appears in public without a touch of color on the lips?

Boy, if the guys in DC marketing thought up of that description, and not some reporter...

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Batwoman's lesbian?! [Confused]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait . . . I know who Catwoman is, and I know who Batgirl is . . . who's Batwoman?!
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the trivia I retain... letsee... Batwoman was a '50s character I think, she was a female version of Batman, and always trying to get Batman to marry her... think she also had a sidekick, Batgirl, who was different from the later (Commissioner Gordon's daughter) Batgirl.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

This is described as a new character using an old name.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipstick_lesbian

quote:
A lipstick lesbian is a slang term for a feminine homosexual woman who is attracted to another feminine woman, rather than a lesbian who is attracted to a more masculine woman, such as in a "butch and femme"-type relationship. The term is thought to have emerged in the early 1990s.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Hmmmm.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember after Ellen came out, her character referred to herself as a "chapstick lesbian". I think I'd probably go for that one as well.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't that depend on the flavor of the chapstick in question?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I think a lot of women who happen to be gay are a little (or a lot) tired of the "masculine/feminine" thing. If I told you how many well-meaning (and not-so-well-meaning) people have asked which of us is the "man" in our relationship... well, it's just annoying.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

And cherry. No jokes, please.
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DC's first "buxom lipstick lesbian" super-hero
"Buxom" -- now that's an unnecessary word. As Chris notes, ALL superhero women have basketballs under their spandex.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they've certainly hooked me.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
And cherry. No jokes, please.

[Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? explain please?

and http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5030518.stm

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
I think a lot of women who happen to be gay are a little (or a lot) tired of the "masculine/feminine" thing. If I told you how many well-meaning (and not-so-well-meaning) people have asked which of us is the "man" in our relationship... well, it's just annoying.

I've always gone with the if-you-can't-tell-don't-ask-hell-don't-ask-even-if-you-can-tell school of thought on that one.

Would a lipstick lesbian be the female equivilant of a bear?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really glad I clicked that link, vonk, or your last sentence would've had me REALLY confused.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Well, I don't believe the part about 52 being published as a graphic novel. That's 52 issues, and even if you take out the History of the DCU that's appearing in the back from issue 2 onwards, that's way too much for a single volume.

I expect they'll be putting out 52:Q1, 52:Q2, 52:Q3 and 52:Q4, or something of that sort.

I don't ever read the Bat comics. It's been way too dark for my taste ever since The Dark Knight Returns. So I'd never heard of Renee Montoya (who apparently started in Gotham Nights, a book I don't read because of its Bat-associations).

Someone over on Newsarama commented on this whole Batwoman thing:
quote:
Isn't it just so quaint that the mainstream press still thinks this is a big deal. We've had characters of different race, ethnicity and sexual preference in comics for a while now. Even with it being DC, who people probably think of as being very conservative, we've had heroes of different types. We've had gay characters (Pied Piper, Maggie Sawyer). We've had Hispanic characters (Gangbuster, Vibe, El Diablo and not long ago it was revealed that Kyle Rayner is half-Mexican). We've had Black characters (Steel, Vixen, John Stewart, Cyborg). We've had Asian characters (Dr. Light, Katana). We've even had rather multi-racial heroes (Connor Hawke is 1/4 Black, 1/4 Korean and 1/2 White). In fact, I think comics may have surpassed real world acceptance of minorities with it's use of "Alien-Americans" and "Android-Americans" as well as "Mutants" and "Meta-Humans".

It's just so cute when the mainstream press makes a big deal out of something we've known and understood for decades.

I thought that was well said. It's just not news to anyone whose been reading comics for very long.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:

When the hotel I used to work at decided to throw out the bar that was leasing space and open their own they titled it "The Bear's Den". The name didn't last too long.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by vonk:

I don't think there are really any parallels between gay men and lesbians. I mean, people lump us all together under the category "homosexual", but that's more for their own convenience than anything else. I think we each have more in common with heterosexuals than we do with each other. I can empathize with a het relationship to a degree, I mean. There's a woman involved.

Some women are more feminine than others. It has nothing to do with femaleness or orientation. The masculine-feminine scale, the male-female scale, and the straight-gay scale are independent scales.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Well sure, regardless of orientation, there are going to be people that are very masculine or very feminine. I figure most people fall somewhere in the middle.

But society has always enjoyed creating labels to file people under so that we don't have to think of people individually, but in groups, and that's easier. I know that 'bear' is a self proclaimed label, but I don't know about 'lipstick lesbian.' Most people probably don't fit perfectly into their neat little stereotype, but if we just squint a little, and use our imaginations, we can make everyone into exactly what we want them to be.

So I'm gonna go with 'bear' is to gay man as 'lipstick lesbian' is to gay woman, and if you don't like it, you can just change.

[/tongue in cheek]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Even with it being DC, who people probably think of as being very conservative, we've had heroes of different types.
My understanding is that Marvel is the conservative house.

In this case, that means that the word 'damn' didn't appear in Marvel comics until sometime after 1995.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'll put this way: DC has been publishing high profile projects featuring characters of all sexual stripes (many of them under the Mature Readers only Vertigo label, granted) since the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Marvel?

Their highest profile project in recent years on this subject was "The Rawhide Kid: Slap Leather" about a cowboy who smoked cigarettes from a golden case and gossiped about celebrities.

A lot.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, now, they did out Northstar. Eventually. In an issue oozing with political correctness, AIDS, and violence that ended with Northstar in a bar drinking beer with Wolverine and Puck, just one of the guys.

That was one of the saddest things I've ever read.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

They outed Northstar, then in recent years he was subjected to being written by Chuck Austen, then used as cannon fodder by Mark Millar.

Written crappily, then killed off as an afterthought. How auspicious.

Lisa
Member # 8384

And it's ironic, you know. Marvel has always trumpeted itself as the more "realistic" of the two. I guess they got angst confused with realism.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.