FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I really DONT care about the Pitt-Jolie baby. Except.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I really DONT care about the Pitt-Jolie baby. Except....
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends decided today that the Jolie-Pitt baby might be the anti-Christ.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

- posted      Profile for Pinky   Email Pinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pH:
Or you're homeschooled and only hang out with other celebrity kids with freaky names.

Ooooh! Wait until the freaky-named celebrity kid marriages start!

-pH

They will name their Babies Mike, Sarah, Chris, Jason and Lisa, if only to shock their parents. [Big Grin]
Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah Jolie-Pitt-Holmes-Cruise.

Yes, Suri and Shiloh's homosexual civil union with space ponies will happen in twenty years.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

Sarah Jolie-Pitt-Holmes-Cruise? Ouch. Her life work will be to open a branch office of Scientology in Nigeria. [Eek!]

Do you remember the Moore-Willis daughters? Rumer (quite appropriate for a Hollywood kid [Big Grin] ), Scout, Tallullah. They're already teens. Or even twens? Bruce and Demi were pioneers in giving strange, no, excentric names, weren't they? At least, as long as we don't mention celebrities with Hippie parents. River, Leaf (a.k.a. Joaquin) and Rain/Rainbow Phoenix.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked for 12 years in a major call-center. I've come across some really strange names that weren't given by celebrity parents.

How about:

Danson Myaskoff
Able Hooker
Frank Weiner
Euana Bunch
Franklin Beans
Imogene Washer
Peter Cock (a bit redundant, no? As if he could get away unteased with either one alone.)
Ilene Left

And my personal favorite - Harry Quatch.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad went to school with a guy named Rusty Pipes. His dad was a plumber.
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

He must've loved his job! I remember being traumatized as a 12-year-old when my dad mentioned to me that he worked with a guy named Dick Seeman.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I was at a trade show and one of the vendors there had a nametag that said "Peter Handler". One would think that he'd at least have gone by "Pete".
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

Dr. Richard (Dick) Chopp is well known in the Austin community for performing Vasectomies.

Dr. Richard M. Butcher has been practicing dentistry...

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Befor scanning through this thread this morning, I had never heard "Peter" used as a euphamism for penis.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
Befor scanning through this thread this morning, I had never heard "Peter" used as a euphamism for penis.

Well, I won't ask for a poll, but I'm fairly certain you're in the minority. [Wink]

Oh, and my dentist in Va Beach was Dr. Will B. Payne. Seriously.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I am convinced that every word in the dictionary is, or will be, an euphamism for genatalia or some sex act.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
*boldly resists responding to mr.p.h's comment*
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know about the other meaning of Peter either. 0_0 Now i'm trying to remember everytime I said the name and whether or not it was accompanied by snickers!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am convinced that every word in the dictionary is, or will be, an euphamism for genatalia or some sex act.

Heh! He said "dictionary"!

But seriously, I've been familiar with the term "peter" as a euphamism for "penis" since...oh, I don't know, probably late grade school or so. Other names that are euphamisms for "penis" that I'm familiar with include "willy" and "percy".

You know, in thinking about it, I'm realizing that while I know a good number of food words that double as euphamisms for female sex organs (primary and secondary both), I can only think of a few food words that do the same for male sex organs.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
I didn't know about the other meaning of Peter either. 0_0 Now i'm trying to remember everytime I said the name and whether or not it was accompanied by snickers!

I don't think it's so common that it's the first thing people think about. I mean, John is also a euphemism for toilet and for a male patron of a prostitute, but no one snickers every time someone says their name is John.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Other names that are euphamisms for "penis" that I'm familiar with include "willy" and "percy".

Also "johnson," although that's more of a last name as well as somewhat anachronistic.
quote:

You know, in thinking about it, I'm realizing that while I know a good number of food words that double as euphamisms for female sex organs (primary and secondary both), I can only think of a few food words that do the same for male sex organs.

I think there are quite a few, but they seem to be rather limited in type -- i.e., varieties of meat-related words.

---

Edited to add: and no, I really can't bring myself to list them here, although it underwent serious consideration. Good taste prevailed, thankfully.

So to speak.

[Smile]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Thinks to self . . . "banana", "cannoli", "pickle", "zuchini", "nuts", "grapes", "cherries", well there's definitely a theme there, but it has nothing to do with meat.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ah. See, I could list several dozen in the meat-related theme. However, I concede that there is also room for vegetarians and lovers of Italian pastries. *grin

(I will also concede that you are probably more well-versed than I in this area, KarlEd, having that particular advantage of the dual perspective. Darn it. *shakes fist

... and as far as I know, that one isn't, BTW. Is it?)

----

Ahem. I mean, I wasn't referring to that -- which I am aware of -- but to that. If the term for that included that, wouldn't it invite confusion?

And am I inviting editing by our beloved Moose?

(Er, "Moose"? "Camel," certainly, as per certain ads, but "Moose" seems a bit ... antlerish.)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Which one? "fist"? Goodness, I hope not. [Eek!]
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

See edit above.

And let's not discuss any of it any further. I am decidedly less cocksure about my knowledge of the language in this area than I was when we started.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Temporary self-ban, coming right up.

*ding!*

*dong?*

(Yes, I am in second grade.)

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Thinks to self . . . "banana", "cannoli", "pickle", "zuchini", "nuts", "grapes", "cherries", well there's definitely a theme there, but it has nothing to do with meat.

See, I agree that all of those could be used[/url] as euphamisms, but except for "pickle" and "nuts" they aren't generally words that I would say [i]are euphamisms. Does that make sense? I think that my original point has been refuted, though, by those two examples and by Sara's unnamed cylindrical meat products.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
edit: nevermind, I better not leave that there.

[ June 07, 2006, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Is it bad that I'm giggling like a schoolgirl?
KarlEd
Member # 571

Noemon, I've heard all of them spoken in film, TV, and in casual conversation.

But I'll drop this particular line of conversation before I get myself banned.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

[Eek!] MPH, why did you feel the need to say penis 21 times in that post?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking along these lines, my last name, which is Bates, got me quite a bit of teasing when I was younger.

When I started work as an engineer, one of the technicians thought it was a pretty funny joke. He didn't find it so funny when he found himself scheduled to do muck probes the next week.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

*gives Dagonee a wedgie*
MandyM
Member # 8375

Heh, he touched your undies!
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread continues to make me grin my little toothy butt off in the office.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
From back on page 2.
quote:
But always a touch disappointing when you can't find one of those keychains or little license plates at the tourist gift shop with your name on it.
One of the best gifts I've ever received was a wooden key chain with my first name carved into it. The only way you get "Zan" on one of those things is to custom order it.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Noemon, I've heard all of them spoken in film, TV, and in casual conversation.

But I'll drop this particular line of conversation before I get myself banned.

Really? huh. I guess I just haven't heard as many euphamisms as I'd thought.

Are we really butting up against the line in this thread? I mean, there's a lot of "tee-hee"ing, but really we're just talking about language.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Really? huh. I guess I just haven't heard as many euphamisms as I'd thought.

Are we really butting up against the line in this thread? I mean, there's a lot of "tee-hee"ing, but really we're just talking about language.

There are a lot of things that fly on TV that wouldn't fly here.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

I have reread all the above posts and aside from mph's blatant use of penis in his post, I don't see where anyone has been offensive here.
Onanism Thread
Member # 8525

- posted      Profile for Onanism Thread           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm off to Verb my Noun!
Posts: 37 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I have reread all the above posts and aside from mph's blatant use of penis in his post, I don't see where anyone has been offensive here.
It continues to amuse me that so many people still find the use of "penis" and "vagina" or even "vulva," "clitoris" or "testicles" to be offensive, but certain cute euphemisms are A-OK.
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
blatant use of penis
*tries to suppress laughter*

*laughs uproariously*

Oh my!

Edit: Oh good lord eros! I am again reminded why sex-ed was so much fun. I'ma laughin' my arse off over here.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
*pokes erosmaniac's funny detector with a stick*

*decides not to mention that he's not wearing any underwear*

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinky
Member # 9161

Do you have a national holiday today, or what?

This morning, I checked the forum for new posts, because most of you write at 4 in the morning (for you: between 7 and ten p.m.). And now it's between 1 and 4 p.m.! Nothing to do in the office? [Wink]

You all at Hatrack, and I'm not sleeping! I'll mark this day in my calendar.

P.S.: Cucumber, carrot... [Big Grin]

Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
It continues to amuse me that so many people still find the use of "penis" and "vagina" or even "vulva," "clitoris" or "testicles" to be offensive, but certain cute euphemisms are A-OK.
That's why they are euphemisms, and not... uhmm... what's the opposite of "euphemism"?
Noemon
Member # 1115

Malphemism. Or cacophemism.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Sara's unnamed cylindrical meat products.

Thank you, Noemon, for the thoughtful clear attribution. It's exactly what I wanted to be remembered for.

[Wink]

(I hesitate to point this out, but not all are explicitly cylindrical. (link is to UrbanDictionary.com, and though there are no pictures, the words aren't really worksafe) And I'd like to emphasize that my familiarity with such things is solely due to my exhaustive vocabulary and voracious reading skillz regarding work matters.

Seriously.)

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I wouldn't click here if you don't want to see the kind of thing that flys on TV but doesn't fly on Hatrack.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

[ROFL] Thanks Tante! I really needed that laugh right now.

For the record, I was joking about what mph said and I was joking about being offended.

Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Malphemism. Or cacophemism.

Thanks. Now, that's a useful word to show off with! [Wink]
Pinky
Member # 9161

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
quote:

I wouldn't click here if you don't want to see the kind of thing that flys on TV but doesn't fly on Hatrack.
*grin*

Can pictures be euphemisms, too? Then this is an euphemism for a bat.

Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Pinky:
Thanks. Now, that's a useful word to show off with! [Wink]

Well, it's worth noting that I put both terms together myself--mal- for the Latin version and caco- for the Greek. It'd probably be better to go with the greek, since the stem being modified is Greek in origin too.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.